Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first Vaquero. I have a couple GP-100's, but it was time for my first single action revolver. I love it! But I'm debating over whether or not to install aftermarket springs. I had a trigger job done on my 4" stainless GP-100 and I enjoy firing that revolver even better. So... what should I do? Install aftermarket springs? Or keep it stock?

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I recently bought my first Vaquero. I have a couple GP-100's, but it was time for my first single action revolver. I love it! But I'm debating over whether or not to install aftermarket springs. I had a trigger job done on my 4" stainless GP-100 and I enjoy firing that revolver even better. So... what should I do? Install aftermarket springs? Or keep it stock?
Before I did any modifications on your new pistol, I think I would run some rounds through it and see how it feels. I would try to run about 500 rounds through it and then make some judgements. I always wanted a Vaquero but never bought one so therefore I am somewhat envious. It's hard to find a better built or shooting pistol than I Ruger. I also have a GP100 that I bought over 20 years ago and it shoots as good today as it did when I first got it.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Every single action revolver I have shot had an extremely light trigger. Like TC said shoot it first before thinking about changing parts on trigger.
I had a Uberti 357 single action six that surprised me and a friend of mine that shot the gun. With this gun I sure wanted my finger out of the trigger guard till I was sighted on target. The trigger was that light for the break point. My GP100 Match Champion is way heavier than any single 6 I have shot.
I have not shot a Vaquero but there are many here that can tell you about them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I put a aftermarket spring in my SB 44 mag many years ago creating a very light trigger. Too light for some. I have never tried it in my Vaqueros.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went out to the gun club today. I fired my Vaquero and my 4" GP-100. Always a fun time! As for the Vaquero, I like the squeeze just as it is. My GP-100 is way too light with the Wolff springs when firing single action. I use this revolver for IDPA competition, so I rarely shoot it single action. I was just considering changing the spring in the Vaquero which would weaken the pull to cock the hammer. Not the trigger nor the strength of the hammer drop. I think I saw where Wilson Combat offers a kit to customize the single action revolver. Is this true? Thanks for all the input. By the way, I highly recommend buying a Vaquero. I think my next Ruger will be the Vaquero in 45 LC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have changed the trigger springs in all my Rugers. I can shoot them all better with a lighter spring. A year ago, I bought my third Vaquero. It is one of the new redesigned guns. I shot it a couple of times, then changed the springs. If I had it to do over I think I would not of done it. It is very scary now with a very light trigger pull. It shoors very well though. I am thinking of at least putting the old trigger spring back.
You should note that there are actually two springs to change on a Vaquero. The trigger spring, and the hammer spring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you aren't practicing for Cowboy shooting you might want to go to youtube and watch the Ruger 7 part series, [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW7VUZtn-E[/ame] , single action self defense shooting.
this shows a 2 hand grip and the weak hand thumb running the hammer, also the pinky finger on the strong hand under the bottom of the grip to index the gun. I'm currently shooting a Single Seven with 100 gr. .327mag. this video got me pointed in the right direction. I'm thinking more about playing with grips than doing something with the trigger and hammer. good luck. have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen the video yet, but I will. I went through a box of.38 Specials today. Man... this gun is fun to shoot! About 2 weeks ago, I changed the trigger spring. I left the main spring factory. I went with the Wilson Combat spring. It works well! The squeeze is about the same (I don't have a gauge), but its smoother and it took out the slack in the travel of the trigger. Reliability wasn't sacrificed. As one might expect with the same hammer spring. I'm really pleased with the results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those are really great videos. I have been shooting Ruger single action guns for a very long time. Still these have given me a lot to work on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
here's a job for a gun salesman---
"hey, hey, roll right up, I got good guns on sale today. can't rack the slide? loaded chamber indicators, cocked striker indicators, magazine safeties, trigger safeties-- is all of that confusing and bothersome?
ya afraid of getting the dreaded Glock leg? tired of semi-autos that bump fire? well folks I got here, the safest, simplest gun you'll ever see. pulls back his jacket to reveal a 3 1/2" barrel Vaquero in .357/.38spl, sitting in a nice leather holster hanging on a good(thick) 1 1/2" gun belt. the salesman yanks the gun out of the holster, points it in the middle of the crowd and pretends to pull the trigger, "see, told ya it's safe". then he turns and after explaining the simple action of cocking the hammer, let's one fly at a steel target-- bang! bong! the crowd cheers and lines up, waving cash, ........
oh well, just a fantasy, it doesn't hold 18 rounds or have a place for a flashlight, just a relic from the 19th century.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went through 24 rounds in my Vaquero today. It's just a real fun gun to shoot. I really want the 45LC Vaquero.

·
Registered
65 Posts
do you reload? the store bought .45lc is kind of pricey. those cowboy shooters have a system where they use and reuse .45lc brass with shotgun primers and wax bullets, if you just want to plink in the backyard or work on your quick draw. hmmm, wonder what squirrels think about wax bullets?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I started with a .45 lc Vaquero back in 1995. I liked it so much, I bought another one. Last year I bought a New Model Vaquero in .357, and yesterday I bought my second one. I reload both .45 and .38/357. I buy used brass and cast bullets on the internet which makes it quite cheap.

·
Patriot
2,178 Posts
I haven't seen the video yet, but I will. I went through a box of.38 Specials today. Man... this gun is fun to shoot! About 2 weeks ago, I changed the trigger spring. I left the main spring factory. I went with the Wilson Combat spring. It works well! The squeeze is about the same (I don't have a gauge), but its smoother and it took out the slack in the travel of the trigger. Reliability wasn't sacrificed. As one might expect with the same hammer spring. I'm really pleased with the results.
I don't have the Vaquero but I have Blackhawks in .22 .357 and .44. I went to the Wolf 30oz. trigger spring in the .22 and got a six shot 2.5" group @ 50yd.(my best ever) with cheap Fed. 36gr. HP bulk ammo. Before the spring change that light little gun was all over the paper. In the .357 I used the 40oz. Wolf spring with much improved accuracy. The .44 still has the std. spring as the gun is heavy enough that I can hold it still while pressing the trigger. Lighter trigger springs alone can make a world of difference.
Happy Shooting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts