Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I think open carry is asking for trouble from many sides. The bad guy could make you his first target and the people as a whole still get freaked out seeing a citizen carrying a gun openly. I think concealed carry is the safest way for the average person with a gun to carry. IMO open carry is an invite for trouble and that's not what we carry for. There are ways to draw attention if that is what a person wants but using a gun to draw attention is not a good way to go about it.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I open carry when on the farm, working....never off the farm.

Skeered of being first target.

Jim

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have always open carried around the farm or rural. I concealed for a long time in cities, but switched to open when I found out first hand that something as simple as reaching into your pocket to get to your firearm can be too slow.

Honestly, few people pay it any attention. The few that do usually think you are a cop. I don't feel like I am a target. Matter of fact, I am usually given a wide birth. There is no hard evidence that open carry makes you a target. The Walmart shooting where the individual was shot is often cited, but in reality he was concealed carrier and was shot after he produced his handgun. There is evidence that open carriers deter crime. The Waffle House thwarted robbery in GA comes to mind.

I moved into that drug infested hell hole in 2011, finally able to move away from it November of last year. A 5 year education changed my thinking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always carried concealed, just got used to it as a FLEO. However, when I used to visit my Dad in Tucson, I used to see quite a few people open carry. First time was in a bank, which surprised me, I asked the gentleman if he normally carried open, he said yes because it was more comfortable in the heat of Arizona. He said most of his friends did as well. On my way back to the airport two cars went by my taxi with guns blazing away
Couple of gangs were having a disagreement. My cab driver told me he open carried when off duty due to his bad neighborhood. So I guess it depends on circumstance to carry open or not.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I can see both sides of it.

Open carry could make you a target. -OR- Open carry could make the BG look for an easier target.
I tend to think the thug will be looking for easy pickins, not a fight. Seeing my gun, not easy pickins.
I've actually had a thug call off his attack after he noticed my gun. (And me ready to draw).

Open carry does make some people nervous so I carry concealed-ish meaning I don't worry if it happens to show when I reach up or bend or something.

Funny, it used to be if you didn't have anything to hide you didn't have to hide your gun.
Now, if you don't hide your gun you are not being polite.
:dunno:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The one open carry I met IMO did so for attention and he had the BS slinger to go with it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What about carrying with one in the chamber.
Nothing but a paperweight if you don't. Good chance you won't have time to load it.

I also used to feel fine with five rounds, saw no use for more than ten, but city life changed my outlook. Trouble comes in packs. Which is why I also believe in New York reloads. Guess I understand why it's named that now.. In the country, I'm still good with five.

Drugs and gangs were bad where I lived. My apartment was broken in once and I was inadvertently part of a gang initiation. A little game called knock out. Walked right past them. Gave it no thought. Just kids hanging out. Normal stuff.

In the 5 years I was there the across the street neighbor was shot in the head. Drug deal gone bad I was told. I had no idea. Another girl was killed about 2 blocks up the street. They said she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was not uncommon to hear gunfire two or three times a month. I began to think of the place as little Chicago. Seems like someone is killed nearly every week. Nearly all drug or gang related. I believe the total is around 60 dead so far this year. Mostly in Greensboro. The town I work in is only about 15,000 people. Most of this spills over from Greensboro I think. Embarrassing to have this in my home state.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/greensboro/crime

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
See people with open carry now and then, you can carry concealed without a permit here now. Was surprised when in Louisiana at a Wal-Mart when a young lady had a 1911 on her hip. First person I saw with open carry there. I carry concealed so I am not hassled by people asking why I carry.:cool:
Almost forgot, I have a permit as well as my wife. We both carry a round in the chamber.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I prefer to carry concealed and under my shirt. Living in Az. I do admit it does get hot and the holster "grinding" next to you can he irritating, but so is the heat, so make your choice of which irritation you want to live with. Open carry is like putting a target on your back depending on the neighborhood you live in. If you are in a Quick Shop picking up a bottle of pop and a robber comes in, sees that you are carrying openly, you MAY be the first target he shoots. The element of surprise must work to your advantage and not the BG's. Open carry in the forest or woods is a good idea depending on which type of game is around, bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, the list goes on. Having on an open weapon, when driving, IMO, is a good idea. The way the country is going, drive bys are becoming more prevalent. I had to show my weapon only 1 time but it prevailed and the situation was resolved by just showing that I was armed. Carrying one round in the chamber is the ONLY way I would carry my pistol. If you don't want to loose in a gun fight, you had better be ready to fire. Racking the chamber or rolling the cylinder takes time, time you may not have. In Az. we can carry openly but it is a rare occasion that I see someone carry open. Many times you cannot tell if there is a "print" to indicate that some one is carrying. Each have their reasoning to open or concealed. My opinion: I will stay concealed and not panic in case some convenience store gets robbed. Treachery and wisdom will out weigh the idiot who thinks he has the upper hand.

Tommy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always one in the chamber. If I need my gun I don't want to have to rack it or rotate the cylinder to shoot. For the gun I am carrying, if it has a manual safety, the safety is off until I secure the gun for the day.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
If and when you get a concealed license to carry, if required in your state, you will be so preoccupied thinking about whether the gun is printing or if people are watching you. I think we all went through that at first.

Reactions: pmdoit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always open carried around the farm or rural. I concealed for a long time in cities, but switched to open when I found out first hand that something as simple as reaching into your pocket to get to your firearm can be too slow.

Honestly, few people pay it any attention. The few that do usually think you are a cop. I don't feel like I am a target. Matter of fact, I am usually given a wide birth. There is no hard evidence that open carry makes you a target. The Walmart shooting where the individual was shot is often cited, but in reality he was concealed carrier and was shot after he produced his handgun. There is evidence that open carriers deter crime. The Waffle House thwarted robbery in GA comes to mind.

I moved into that drug infested hell hole in 2011, finally able to move away from it November of last year. A 5 year education changed my thinking.
I moved in to arizona a few months back. I used to live in topeka Ks where the crime rate has gone up so far. I wish my parents could move out but my dad is the only one working and he cant retire for another 5 years. The place they live in is a single wide trailer park. It either drugs or vehicles on fire or fights goin on down there. So i sorta know how it is livin in a bad hood. Having to constantly look over your shoulder. It was kinda scary to live out here in Fort mohave az at first cause there was no gun shots. Cant say i miss them tho.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've done both, definitely prefer concealed but I open carry in the woods all the time (mostly cause it's pretty hard to CC a 6.5" 3lb Blackhawk )

Reactions: pmdoit

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've carried both ways, but prefer the stealth of CC. During the times I've OC'd, I've not run into any issues. No glares or stares. The myth that the BG will take you out because you're OCing is bull butter.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts