Open vs Conceal

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by Floorist, May 11, 2016.

1. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

I have my CCW and carry concealed. I am starting to see a few guys Open Carry, it is legal here. Those of you that open carry, do you get hassled? How about stared at? Do many in your area open carry? Just wondering about open carrying myself.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Here in Spokane, in the last couple of years, I've seen probably 5 people OCing. Mainly little pocket .380's. Most people don't even notice.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

In Az you can open carrying but most people carry concealed. Others who do carry open are really not bothered. There are pros and cons to both. I prefer to carry concealed as I don't want the BG to know I am armed. If he sees an open weapon, you might be his first target.

Tommy

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I see somebody open carrying in Ky, everytime I go out anywhere.
    Very common around here.

I usually say to myself...."good for you".

Not for me. For now CC only.

I do OC around the farm only.

Jim

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Here in Texas we just got OC legalized but I have yet to see anyone OC. I think like Tommy in it is better to not let the BG know I am carrying.

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

OC is legal here in Indiana but there's only 1 guy I've seen doing it and everytime I see him I think to myself "you're just advertising it to the BGs" .

7. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Yeah, the open carry guys I've seen seem like all they want to do is walk around looking cool. I hate to say it but I chuckle to myself a bit when I hear about a BG taking someone's open carry rig.

8. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

There are a lot of people that try to carry concealed, that are plainly carrying. Tight shirts that print is usually the problem or pants to tight for a tucked in gun. That said, we have people carrying in the open daily here in Tucson. I prefer concealed myself, just do not like being starred at.:)

9. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

My state does not have "open carry" and if it did I would still choose not to for many reason and Tom Hudson's article here covers some of my reasons.
    In particular the diminishing the 3rd party effects.

http://www.gunnews.com/open-carry-choose/

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ I agree and same here, haven't seen a gun yet.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Good article ThreeTango!!!

Tommy

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Another point of advertising that a person is/possibly carrying is the vehicle bumper or window stickers/decals that state " Protected by S&W", "NRA Member", " Have gun will travel", "Protected by 357".
    I have been informed by legal defense that it would be a good idea for all to remove those stickers/decals. All it takes is for an angered situation/road rage on the roadway for a person to call police and state you displayed a gun in intimidation. If you have one of these stickers/decals on your vehicle you could be opening yourself to legal problems you don't want.
    Yep I believe concealed is the best way to go. Don't show/draw your gun unless you have no other option.

13. Donn

Donn Member

This subject is a well traveled road, :brickwall:. I can add nothing that would not offend one side or the other. So, to all of you I say, carry on. Whichever way suits you best.

14. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

My two cents is if you feel you protection concealed carry is a better option for us who love our guns to keep the anti gunners from B&M about guns. I only open carry when hunting then people seem to be more comfortable seeing firearms. I also agree advertising your protected by your brand is a bad idea, just like a sign on the post protected by______kinda lets the crooks know who has firearms in your dwelling. They can always come back when your gone..,

15. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

I live in AZ. And I do OC most of the time. I do have CC holsters but because of some issues that I have with my arms I OC because at least to me and my issues I feel that it is safer. And I've had not problems with doing so. And most of the questions that I get asked is what type of gun is it? And some times people ask me about where to get a CCW or ask me about what a good gun would be for carrying. And we talk about it. AZ is a Constitutional Carry State one of about 8 now in the nation.

16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't open carry on purpose. Let me splain.
    Riding my motorcycle in warm weather it's very hard to keep even a small gun from showing cause the wind blows my shirt up/around a lot.

My body type (skinny) doesn't allow me to use IWB holsters comfortably so I use belt loop holsters. The gun will show at least some of the time while riding.
    Lucky for me, with our four month old open carry law the gun can be covered, partly covered or out in the open...... Works for me.
    No more do I have to wear the 'right shirt' and keep tugging at it to be sure the gun is hidden.

I did open carry once when riding out to my B in laws ranch to do some shooting, mostly just because I could.
    Feels good to put on your gun and ride away not caring who sees it. Now that's freedom!
    :usa: :GadsdenFlag:

17. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

My newest bike jacket has a CC pocket..

18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I both open carry and conceal carry. I live rural and open carry around home. I honestly think nobody notices. The only comment ever was by a woman who, judging only by accent, was not from around here. Myself and several friends who were all open carrying stopped at a local convenience store. She commented to the owner. "Dont all these guns scare you"? His response, "No ma'am, it makes me feel safer".

When in town however, I only conceal carry.

19. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I only CC when I have to, such as in Costco or the local medical center (which is posted), Otherwise I OC.
    I learned my lesson many years ago when I was attacked and bit by a large dog before I could get to my concealed pistol.

20. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Here in Oklahoma, I rarely see folks OC. It's been legal for several years. I OC on very rare occasions, but prefer the stealthiness and subtlety of CC.