Open Carry of handguns coming to Texas!

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by MagBlackhawk, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Texas Governor Abbott signed the open carry bill Saturday June 13th 2015. We must have a CHL to do it!!! But it's a big step in the right direction.

When it takes affect I will still carry concealed but I no longer need worry about my pistol "printing" or my shirt blowing up and exposing the gun while riding my motorcycle.

What do you guys and gals think of carrying openly? Do you do it, if so when and where? What have you experienced if you carry openly?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I agree with you on not worrying about the gun showing accidently. I don't think I will open carry in public as I feel it could cause more problems. Such as some moron BG trying to take the gun off me or some BG shooting me first because he sees I have a gun.
    This needs to be nationwide as it is our 2nd right to bear arms. I just about bet crime would drop drastically. Go ahead and try robbing a Denny's and hear 20 clicks with as many guns pointed at your head. A BG goes into a place to rob and sees 10 people open carrying then he will walk out and pick a gun free zone. The morons thinking no guns allowed signs in areas have saved even one life are totally stupid. Yeah it really saved lives--- Did not---- in the theater and schools.
    BG are usually cowards and choose the place or people of least resistance which the gun free zones supply them with.
    Go Texas!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I do open caryy occassionly, not very often, only when I am out workingaround the farm ,and gotta run to town for something,
    Its not unsual here in my town to see open carry, just dont pay much attention to it.

Now, let me say this, and I dont know the total truth on it, but word has it that... if your INTENTIONS are to be concealed, and you let it be seen then your breaking the conceal carry law.
    Open carry is OPEN carry, CONCEAL carry is CONCEALED carry.

In Ky , in my area, in general, the LEO are pretty lax on this issue.

Like most, I would like to see open carry as an american 2nd ammend right, no questions asked.

Jim

4. buster40c

I watched a report on the news that stated the open carry law would cover an accidental concealed carry exposure now.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Lucky for us the wording in our new open carry law is such that the gun can be covered, partly covered or out in the open.

It's also in the law that a policeman has the right to ask to see your CHL (called CCW in other states) if the officer can see your gun.

Some may be concerned that could lead to harassment. We'll see how that part of it works out. I don't think it will be a problem.

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself
    I CC 95% of the time. If I'm open carrying it's on our ranch or the ranch I work for. Most of the time I have a rifle of some sort on my saddle anyways.

7. buster40c

I heard the hold out was because original wording said police could not stop and question a person just because they were openly carrying. They changed that to now the police do have option to question if an open carrying person has a concealed license. I am all for this. I am tired of the BS against all cops being the outlaws.
    If I was wanting a donut and the parking lot had a cop car in it I wouldn't be afraid of going in. This is getting to stupid. Just like I see questions randomly asking would I go into a restaurant that allowed guns. I more fear going into a restaurant with a gun free sign.
    I just had a thought that just might be a safety measure. I am left handed and carry on left side and I also have my wallet in my left rear pocket. I think I will move the wallet to my right rear pocket. This way a cop has no threat my hand moving for my wallet could be moving for my gun. I think this could give peace of mind for the cop as well as myself. What do you all think about this?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Here in the wild west of Arizona we have open carry. Do I carry my .45 Ruger Commander? Hell yes!! HOWEVER, I do not for a couple of reasons show my weapon. First of all, even though we have open carry, we still have people who will freak out when they see it. They don't say anything but do "give you the eye". Secondly, as Buster said, the BG will pick you out and YOU will be his first target! Jim could walk down the street with one of his hand cannons and bazooka and it would be legal. One of the good parts is, road rage is pretty limited here as BG's are not sure of who is carrying and who isn't. My 2 step sons are cops in Gilbert, Az and they don't worry if they see a person carrying a weapon, although there are certain areas where they are not allowed. Mag, if you want to carry, my suggestion would be to do it "inconspicuously". Don't throw your ace card on the table and wait to see who has a pair. Just you knowing you are armed should give you all the confidence you need and no one else needs to know.
    Tommy

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yea, there was a lot of debate on the carry regulations. We ended up with reasonable requirements. If the officer wants to see your permit, show respect and your CHL.
    In light of current events we need to go out of or way for them!

When showing your ID, COMMUNICATION is key. Tell him/her where your ID is. Ask for permission to retrieve it, move slowly. If it's dark, ask if he wants to use his light.

Above all be a nice guy. We need to remember they have a tough job and no telling what kind of horror they just went thru on the last call.

And yes, gun free zones are a target rich environment for cowardly thugs and crazy idiots.

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I gladly go in to a place with a cop inside.

I to have my wallet on the same side as my weapon and have thought this exact same thing. I have been thinking for a while about changing sides I put my wallet on.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hi Tommy,
    I do plan to carry concealed.
    We lived in Phoenix in 1990-1991 before concealed carry swept the nation. Open carry was the only option. You could keep it in the glove box, that's what I did mostly.
    One time in a city mountain preserve at sunset the thug didn't see my smallish Beretta M 84 .380 auto till I put my hand over it.
    That stopped his blitz attack right now! Thug goes away, we go home safe and sound. I never had to touch my gun. In that rare case open was good. Only because he had no idea I was armed until I put my hand over it.
    Pulling your coat aside or lifting your shirt should have the same effect when carrying concealed.
    With our new open law those two actions will now be legal. Before it was a crime if your gun EVER showed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  12. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Up nort here....................we have had open carry for ever, but conceal carry since 2011.................so it was nice to not have to worry about printing right off the bat..................I still conceal carry because I don't feel like getting face planted. I live close to a very large city, that has murders EVERY day, and LE walks on eggshells. I don't need the attention. When you get away from the large metropolitan areas, LE is a lot more relaxed concerning firearms, and pretty much know the person from living in the same small town. Having 750,000 hunters in the northwoods for a couple weeks in the winter, and having 3-5 deaths per season, 95% of those being heart attack related, helps the "image"....................it bothers me that I cannot exercise my right to open carry, but it's just the way it is. The wife and I are trying to get property in the northern part of my state, where then, it may be possible for me to exercise my right, without unduly interruptions. Regardless, any time you can have open carry, relish it............it does help under certain situations. It's still better to have than not.;)

13. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Personally I prefer concealed carry for that reason, concealed.
    Does he or doesn't he.

Now eliminating Texas from the no open carry, here's who's left and my state is one of them..
    As many as there are that allow open carry it doesn't seem like we hear a lot of problems.

[​IMG]

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

If open carry was causing any problems you can be SURE the mainstream media would tell EVERYONE all about it.

Then run it again every few weeks just to be sure we all understand how we must "save the children" or whatever.........

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Whataburger, (a burger chain from Texas) says no open carry of handguns in their restaurants when our open carry law takes affect.
    http://whataburger.com/company/pressreleasedetail/whataburger-addresses-open-carry-policy

Some say they will no longer go to Whataburger because of this policy. Whataburger will still allow concealed carry as they always have.

I say give em a brake, the anti-gun media tells the low information sheep to be afraid of guns and they fall for it!

Is Whataburger at fault here? The anti-gun crowd works to scare our freedoms away and Whataburger (and others) are caught in the middle.

I believe this burger chain is trying to walk the fence. It's not the way I would go but they just want to sell burgers so...............

16. buster40c

There are states that have had open carry but seldom ever do you see them open carrying. Just like there are pick pockets I could see morons playing pick holsters. Cheap way to get a gun but might not be the smartest way. Then again criminals are not the brightest bulbs. I plan on CC going into any store and if I am open carrying you can bet I will also have a backup hid somewhere on me.
    Here in Houston a few morons tried to rob a gun store at 2 am. Their only mistake was the store owner was inside. He grabbed a shotgun. One moron dead and two on the loose yet. The gun store has been robbed before when store was closed by smashing into the store and grabbing guns. The store is not in the greatest area of Houston.
    Just watch and see how the anti gunners will open carry where they shouldn't just to make more stink.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Bad guys dont usually open carry and don't follow gun restrictions.

I don't open carry either like the others here I feel it's an invitation for someone to harass you or try and take your weapon.

FYI-An Unrestricted jurisdiction is one in which a permit is not required to carry a concealed handgun. This is sometimes called Constitutional carry. Among U.S. states, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming allow residents to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hooray it's now the year 2016

Jan 1, 2016.
    So, we've been waiting six months for the new open carry law to take effect in Texas.
    Now I can finally ride my motorcycle without worry that my pistol could show!
    Of course it's drizzling rain, hummed and cold. So it'll be a while before my 'T' shirt no longer needs to hide my pistol.
    At some point I'll have to open carry my Blackhawk, just cause I can. Then it's back to concealed carry without fear of printing. Hooray, it's 2016.

The Houston Police Chief is dead set against open carry.
    Something about shoot-outs at every fender bender, drunks shooting each other in bars, neighbors shooting over petty arguments.
    He goes on and on with it. Not much faith in the public with that guy.
    I'm sure he's right, that's the kind of thing that happens in states with open carry. The record is clear. Or, is it the anti's and not the record? D'oh!

On Dec 30th I went to UPS to ship a package. That is where I saw my very first 30.07 sign. (The new, NO open carry sign in Texas).
    Also, UPS put up the 30.06 (no concealed carry) sign. Neither sign had the one inch lettering as required by Texas law. Don't think I'll tell em.
    Funny, I was there to ship a pistol. :p The manufacturer specified UPS as the shipper so......... Don't ask, don't tell.
    :cheesy:

Anyway, Happy 2016 To all of my friends here at RUGERTALK.
    Godspeed and may you never need a gun for defense of self or others. (Bring one anyway).

19. buster40c

Yeah that is kinda stupid when UPS probably ships the majority of guns dealer to dealer. Why don't they add a sign saying we are friends of criminals and hate the right to self protection in our stores? Morons!
    Oh yeah every corner in Texas since open carry law will become like the shoot out at the "OK Corral". Such stupid people. Like thinking criminals open carry, or because I open carry means I am advertising I am looking for a shoot out. Yeah cops open carry but yet most probably never had to pull the trigger on their gun.
    Of course here is the big opportunity for mass media propaganda to spread all kinds of lies to promote more fear of guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. I don't think most people are so stupid to believe the deception spreaders.
    Ha ha ha I expect the 6:00 news will soon be overcome with all the shootings by law abiding citizens for no other reason than they can open carry now. What ignorance!
    I am going to be watching for 30.06 and 30.07 signs in business windows.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  20. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

When CC first was allowed here in AZ I saw lots of "NO GUNS" signs in store windows. They seem to be disappearing. Prolly because they figured out no ones going to pay attention to them.