Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once owned a beautiful Single Six convertible in Stainless steel. It was my third SS. It wouldn't shoot for beans, and I took it back to the store where I bought it. They said they sent it to a "gunsmith", who (they said) removed and reinstalled the barrel. Whether he did or didn't, it still shot badly, and I sold it. Lately, I have been desiring a new gun of some flavor, and saving my $$$. I still love the Single Six. After the last experience, I am a bit hesitant to go for another one, and have been looking at the MK IV standard model, To complement my MK II KMK514 or a Browning Buckmark. With the present circumstances, it seems people are either upping the prices, or they are all out of stock at any local store. Given the circumstances, attending what gun shows there may be locally doesn't seem the best choice, either. What say?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd guess you'll have to make a decision based on availability. I've had a MK IV that shot very well but I sold it off and got a .22 kit for another piece I had. I have a Wrangler which shoots pretty well but I suspect you want something a bit farther up the food chain. I had a Single Ten that was very nice but I sold it off as I got tired of loading it. lol The higher class of single actions are all more expensive now. For pure utility either will do a fine job, the MK series might have a better trigger. I would avoid the "light weight" semiautomatics. In short, see what is available, you might find something lightly used that you will like. hth
Best,
Rob

·
Banned
405 Posts
The toughest thing about "production" revolvers is involved with getting ALL of the chambers in the cylinder to align perfectly with the barrels bore. Thus, the tapered forcing cone, which can be unkindly to a softer lead .22 bullet when it needs to find its way into the bore.
Your KMK 514 is a wonderful example of a fine Ruger Mark .22 caliber pistol. I'd love to see Ruger produce that style upper in both stainless steel and chrome moly for the Mark IV.
This is my very first Ruger .22 Automatic pistol, and when shooting, the muzzle on this pistol does bounce around quite a bit, even with a two-hand hold:

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
For longer than I like to admit I thought my Single Six was just not very accurate until one day I dry fired it while holding on my 50 yd target. That was when I realized it was impossible to hold that light weight revolver still/steady while pressing the trigger no matter how slow and deliberate I pressed. First I went to a Wolf 40oz trigger return spring. That made it possible to hold steady pressing the trigger but still not easy to do. Next I installed a 30oz trigger spring. That gave it a trigger that is light enough as to be easy to hold still when firing. Now it is a very accurate handgun with a great trigger.
The trigger was never very heavy but the gun is very light weight so....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Given the circumstances, What say?
Mr. Carl, at this point I'd say get whatever you can find ammo for consistently and fairly.
The online ammo shops are price gouging even on the junk ammo. I've seem .22 LR at .40 cents a round up from .6 cents a round at the start of year. 9mm ball ammo at over .75 cents a round.

It's so bad the AG in Texas went after a local online shop and ordered them to refund 4000 customers as it's against the law to gouge during a national emergency with necessities and Texas considers ammo a necessity. Florida has a similar law but not sure if it includes ammo or not. The surprising thing about all of this is the online shops you thought were decent have shown their hand and I for one will never buy from them again.

Surprisingly I have found the local brick and mortar to be the fair game in town but you have to do your due diligence and hunt around for it. I'm going out either today or by Monday and pick up some 9mm and some 12 gauge even though I don't own a shotgun but I got future plans.

Bottom line for me I'm gonna keep a small stash of 9mm and I'm gonna make my own 12 gauge loads from what I buy cause it's .44 cents a round and I'll work off that to make a defensive load I can handle because none of the 12 gauge defensive loads out there I could tolerate. That means I save on the hazmat charge because I will be able to use everything but the shot which I will replace with buckshot.

Even as is the shell I got my sights on loaded with bird shot will take your face off within 25 feet, the beauty of it is that the receipt I got cooked up allows me to Safely change out the shot if I so desire and the recoil as is is very tolerable for me. Down to just over 9 ft. lbs and the same if I change out the load, my former .357 magnum snubby was at just over 7 ft. lbs and I only shot that one handed. A standard buckshot load on average from the factory is 25 ft. lbs plus on average. Even in my prime I could have never tolerated that.

Anyway good luck, just don't get trapped with a gun you can't get ammo for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts