One step closer!

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by greg_r, May 20, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Got the E-mail that GOG had the LCRx-22 in stock. I love my LCRx-3 in 38 special and have been clamoring for the 22 version ever since I got the 38. Just sent the deposit to GOG, should have it in hand next weekend. The 22long rifle LCRx. The best "Kit" gun ever I think! This will make my 22 collect complete, at least for now! :D

I sent a message to Ruger letting them I was buying one and if they would release the LCRx-3 in 327 Magnum I would buy one of those too!

327 Magnum in an LCRX? Is it a pipe dream? I hope not! They already have it in the standard LCR. They have the hammer in the 357 LCRX. All they would need to add would be 1 and 1/8 inches of barrel. I think the LCRX-3 is the gun the 327 was made for! It would lose 2 shots to the 22 but gain 1 over the 38 special. Plus it will out performed the 38 special. And while it would not qualify for a kit gun, (does a kit gun really have to be a 22?) It would make for a great trail/woods gun for all except for those in bear country.

........now, do I really want to go ahead and get the standard LCR in 327 as my new carry gun, or not?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, there are degrees of insanity...

:D

and 32 S&W Long cartridges.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If you don't like shooting 357 in an LCR model then you darn straight will not like shooting 327 in an LCR model. IMO the 327 mag isn't much less to handle than a 357. Shooting 32 the handling would be less than shooting 38 spl . 32 and 327 are less available and a whole bunch more expensive then 22 or 38 spl or 357. IMO the cons for the 327 out weigh the pros big time.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have a sentimental regard for the 32 S&W cartridge, Cousin Lyle came into possession of of a j-frame-size 2 or 3" revolver in that caliber. We took a few porcupine with it (the ears were worth 50¢ a set).

Cousin Lyle was a good friend, as well as an amazing gun-finder. Would that I meet him again beyond the veil.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have a real like for the 32 caliber. The 32 S&W was my first personal protection gun and my first trail gun. The H&R 732 with the 2 inch and 4 inch barrel respectively. The 32 S&W long was a great trail gun.

I moved up the the R73 Ultra when the 32 H&R Magnum came out. It also had a 4 inch barrel. More of the same, just better.

I lost my guns in the great fire of '99. The first thing I did was bought another H&R in 32 S&W long. The 32 S&W long is surprisingly accurate, even in the somewhat crude H&R. I wanted a R73 in 32 H&R Magnum but it never happened.

I have no personal experience with the 327 Magnum so I have to go on what I have read about it. The 32 S&W long works at 15,000 psi, the 32 H&R Magnum at 21,000 psi. The 327 Magnum at a whopping 45,000 psi! :eek: The recoil is reportedly between what you experience with the 38 special and 357 magnum, but the performance is reportedly much closer to the 357 magnum , losing only some 40 foot pounds to the larger cartridge. I aslo understand that the 327 Magnum performance is not effected by shorter barrel lengths as much as the 357 magnum is. Hence my feeling that a LCRx with a 3 inch barrel would be the ferfect platform for the cartridge.

I cast the Lee TL314-90-SWC for use in the 32 S&W Long. I would use the same bullet in the 327 Magnum LCRx-3 for trail use, loaded to 32 H&R Magnum levels. I would use the 90 grain Sierra Sports Master for full power 327 Magnum loads. Of course I would only use 327 magnum cases, being anal like I am! :eek:

If Ruger would have released the 327 Magnum n the LCRX platform I would have bought one in the 1 7/8ths barrel length instead of the 38 Special. If they do come out with the 327 magnum in the LCRX I will purchase one, regardless of 1 7/8 or 3 inch barrel. I will buy 2 if they come out in both barrel lengths!

BTW, I am not against the LCR in 357 magnum. I just don't like 357 magnum in a snub nose . I feel it's a waste and not efficient. in my opinion the 357 ideally needs at least a 4 inch barrel to reach it's potential. Practical barrel length starts at 3 inches. Again, that's just my personal opinion, right or wrong.

Hmmm, a 4 inch LCRX 357 magnum? I see possibilities! :D

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

LOL You crack me up as the possibilities never end. That was how I ended up buying 20 handguns in little over a year. I sold 10 of those and have bought 10 more since then. Desire doesn't have to make sense and we sure justify to ourselves why we should have it. CHA CHING! SOLD.

I imagine many people today have no idea where CHA CHING came from. The old manual cash registers made that sound when they were opened for the sale. Cha Ching and the drawer would open.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

CA-CHING is a nickname I picked up at my last job. As a non assett based company we have a set amount of capital to use to hire an outside contractor to handle our jobs. I get to keep 10% of what's left over after paying the contractor. I was almost always the highest commission paid employee. When asked how I did it, I just responded that my job was to get the other person to do the job at hand at going out of business prices.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I'll admit to buying quite a few guns this year. But I have sold quite a few more. Matter of fact it has been at about a 2 1/2 to 1 ratio. I have been collecting H&R's for quite a few years. Most have cost me less than $150.00. quite a few less than $100. The most I have ever paid for one was $325 for a NIB Buffalo Classic in 45 Colt. It will bring that or a little more today, and a AAC branded Handi Rifle at $275. It will bring over $300 today for just the barrel. The most I have gotten for one of my Handi Rifles was the SB1 in 357 magnum / 20 gauge. I parted it out, sold everything but the reciever, which i stripped and ended up with $500! Maybe some liberal group will have another buy back program and I can get another $100 or so out of it. After all it Is a firearm! The 7.62x39 Handi brought almost as much.

I kept a few. The 30-30 ( which is another one that is worth a bit) Both of my Buffalo Classics, carbine and rifle, and the Survivor. I also kept a R92, a 929, and a 733. Also keeping, temporarily at least, the 300 BLK, 223 Handi Grip, and the 280 Remington. These are all rifles I use. Also traded a few Taurus, and Heritage along the way.

I am happy with the Rugers I have traded for. Even though they are fewer in numbers, they are higher in quality. One difference is the Ruger that I now have each have a purpose. Well maybe not the Charger, it's just fun, is that a purpose? And the 357 GP100. The GP100 may be an ok plate revolver, maybe? I will admit that I would buy a H&R/ NEF just because it was an H&R or a NEF. Most of them were never even fired after I got them.

As to the 327 magnum? It would have a place for me. If it was available in the LCRX in both versions, I would have them in place of the 38 Specials.

The goal of all my trading was to downsize. I had 4 safes, 3 at my main home and 1 at my second home. We have decided to get rid of the second home, it's over 3 times the size of the main home and more than Nana and I need to take care of as we are aging. There was not enough room to accommodate my hobby at the old house unless I built a room, and we decided against that. My goal is to get down to the Cannon Widebody. So far it has netted me probably all the Ruger revolvers and pistols I'm am interested in and a 5 1/2 x 10 tube railed trailer. Less firearms, but of better quality, plus a trailer. I'm satisfied.

Last edited: May 21, 2017