Old newbie here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TomC, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TomC

TomC New Member

63 year old first time gun owner here. Never fired a handgun until recently, and the last time I held a rifle was yearly M16 qualifying in the USAF back in the mid-70's.

I just bought an H&K VP9, but I'm most excited about my new Mini 14 in black/stainless. I originally thought I'd be getting an AR15, but once I saw the Ruger carbine, it was a no brainer. I'm a WWII history buff and the Mini had that M1A carbine vibe to it. In NJ we're restricted to 15 round mags, so I picked up a couple of 10 rounders, and have ordered 2 20 rounders that are pinned to 15.

I finally got to fire it the other day after a beginner's rifle class and am looking forward to more range time.

Hope to pick up some tips and advice here.

Thanks

Tom

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk Tom,

Thanks for joining.

Them mini 14s are really fun, cept trying to find the brass...;)

jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you are going about getting into guns the right way. I hope you realize you are probably going to become a gun collector. We all said at some time or other that was the last gun I am going to buy. Famous last words........many times actually.
    buster
    Jim are you referring to finding the ejected brass from shooting or finding brass available for reloading?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Finding the fired brass ejected from a mini 14...
    they throw brass about 30 ft , all over the place.

At least every one I ever owned and shot.

No big deal if you don't reload.

I devised my own brass catchers , over the years, but still lost a lot.

Oh...and the guy on your right side , at the range , will cuss you.:)

great guns though.

Jim

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome aboard. I'm planning on getting a wooden stock version of the Mini-14 as soon as my tax check comes in in the next week or 2,can't wait.:D

6. TomC

TomC New Member

Thanks. I liked the wooden stock and black stock equally, so it literally was a coin toss at the gun store. And the black/steel Mini14 matches my black Mustang GT with silver stripes!!!

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member