Old newbie from Michigan.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pmdoit, Oct 5, 2017.

1. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I used to own a few rifles and a Taurus .22 revolver that I used primarily for Target shooting and varmint control. A year ago I won a Ruger 10/22 as a door prize from a major retailer, this got me interested in firearms again. I recently acquired a SR22 and have been spending a lot of time at the range. I took an introductory class to refresh my memory and it was a good move. So much I never knew. I am now working on my CCP. I am thrilled to have found this forum as I have found gun folk to be very down to earth, friendly and helpful.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RT, always glad to here someone getting pleasure out of their firearms.;)

3. havasu

havasu In the army now..

We're glad to have you here at R/T!

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to RT. I would sure like to win a Ruger 10/22. I imagine you will be buying or at least looking at many handguns for concealed carry. There is so much to consider for what you will like best that you just might end having quite a few. I ended up carrying a revolver.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have

6. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I purchased a membership at the local range which allows me to try any gun from their vast gun library and unlimited range time. That's how I settled on the SR22. I shot three different 9mm today. I haven't tried any revolvers yet other than the Taurus years ago.

7. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

How often should I clean my guns?

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You should clean them after every shooting. If a gun sits for months then you should check it and take precautions so it doesn't rust. Don't store a gun in something that can hold moisture because it very likely will rust. A gun sitting out in a high humidity area will most likely become rusted and pitted.

I have stored guns wrapped in just a towel or t-shirt in a drawer for years that never rusted, but rifles leaning against the wall did rust and got pitted. I live in a very high humidity area though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  9. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Thank you, any other ideas for avoiding rust? I am currently shooting pistol everyday so rust isn't an issue with that one but my rifle needs a new home I think. It is currently in the garage.

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Gun oil, gun oil, gun oil...also, polishing blued metal with #0000 steel wool soaked in Hoppes #9, then wiping it clean and oiling it down, both protects the finish and makes the bluing look deep and rich.

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

Thanks for joining....and I dont think you could find a better forum to become a part of.

Jim

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas :tiphat:
    When I'm shooting a gun daily I only clean it enough to avoid rust, that's every few days in this climate.
    Although I will wipe down the external metal parts with oil as soon as I'm done shooting.

:usa:

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to the forum and glad to have you join us. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Tommy- from the land of eternal summer (99 degrees today) Az.

14. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Welcome from Derby City.

15. zippo9

zippo9 Member

Greetings from Grayling. Good to have another Michigander!

pmdoit likes this.
  16. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I shot my first gun near grayling at boy scout camp.

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

Enjoy our community...