Old model Bisley Vaquero 44 mag

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by paulruger, Apr 14, 2019.

1. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I recently acquired an old model vaquero in 44 magnum with the bisley grip frame. It has a 5 1/2 inch barrel and it's blued with a "case hardened " frame. About 98% condition. What are these worth?

WizardMaster and pmdoit like this.
  2. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

Would love to see a photo of it but it sounds like a nice piece for sure!! The new ones run an average of $600 but I would take a wild stab and guess around $800. Old models can be the preferred model! Stainless are a tad higher also. Still need a photo.

3. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

The Original Vaquero is not an "old model" so it doesn't demand a three screw premium. I might be wrong, but I don't think they were making a bisley frame for the original Vaquero as a standard offering. So whether or not it is seen as a limited or "custom" model, would have an effect on value.

The original Vaquero was bulky enough that it had little advantage over just carrying the BH which was a better sight option. It was attractive to those that wanted a cowboy gun at an affordable price, but it didn't have the handiness of a colt. I don't think it would have lasted as long as it did if it were not for all the cowboy shooting groups.

The New Vaquero is somewhat slimmer and an affordable competitor with the colt single action. It should do better.

I haven't seen where the original Vaqueros are going for any more than the usual 450-550 of the other Ruger single actions. They often ask 650 for a SBH, but you don't see them move at that price. That's just too close to new. Being .44 and Bisley, I would expect something comparable in price to a SBH.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    WizardMaster likes this.
  4. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I know it's not an "old model " but the new smaller framed Vaqueros do have "New Model" on the frame.........semantics!

5. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

True

But, $450 - $550 is where they sell.

6. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Glad I didn't listen to you people...........sold it at the LGS I work at for $850.00!

7. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

There are those out there.

As was mentioned in an earlier post; need pics, was this a custom, limited edition, something to set it apart?

The stainless Vaquero .45C/.45ACP dual cylinder was $600. The other 4 were $400, $425, $425, and $500.

You made out on that sale.

Attached Files:

8. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

If you work at a LGS in your own area, why would you ask a bunch of people scattered around the country what they think a gun they have never seen is worth?

You should have been your own expert in this case. I'm surprised the owner let you make a private sale in his shop. It must have been quite a specimen, or at least the purchaser thought so. I look at a lot of Ruger's, I think you did quite well on that sale.

9. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

It was my gun! The owner let's me sell on consignment.