OK hogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by 00b5, Feb 14, 2018.

1. 00b5

00b5 Member

Not an experience yet but have the chance to go on a hunt for wild hogs in Oklahoma. Friend from my Army days manages a cattle ranch and invited us to come out and put a dent in his hog herd. Says that there were 150 hogs harvested last year and needs to be thinned out some more. He is going to fill up and turn on the feeders 2 weeks before we get out there next month to establish a habit. Taking my RAR 7mm-08 and my GSS .308 with some reloads in Hornady SST's and Barnes TTSX's. Wish me luck. Will post photos and info.

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS and RFF like this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Bring a pistol too for dispatch. If you are on the ground I would attach a bayonet too. Riding on mud buggies, horses and helicopters are neat too, especially trying to shoot while moving.

For eating I only mess with the tenderloin. You can give away the rest.

Attached Files:

Fireman22 likes this.

3. 00b5

00b5 Member

Tenderloin, shoulders, ribs, and the better half wants a couple of bellies. A lot of friends want some too.
    I just want to break my record of 0 and 3.
    The pistol always goes with me.

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS, RFF and Oldhand like this.
  4. 00b5

00b5 Member

5 hunters, 4 hogs. Split between daylight and night. Night scope and green light for the night ones. It was a good time with friends. Will be trying out some new ideas next year.

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS likes this.
  5. These Hogs were shot in the head at 60 yards with a 10/22 Rifle loaded with a CCI Velocitor 40 grain hollowpoint. I have killed well over 150 Hogs with a Just Ruger 10/22 rifle. 20200720_091101.jpg 20200717_104505.jpg 20200801_104020.jpg

6. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

When we would butcher farm raised Hogs at my grandfathers, A .22 between the eyes was how the process got started.
    That little projectile just turned off the brain without damaging any other meat.

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS likes this.
  7. I use the .22 LR at 50 -75 yards and the meat is given away to be processed for the needy last year 1,700 pounds went to the needy and local church food banks to feed those in need.

8. GOOD LUCK USE DEAD DOWN WIND COVER SPRAY AND WASH WITH THEIR LAUNDRY SOAP AND BODY SOAP USE A COVER SENT LIKE FOX OR COON URINE OR THEY WILL WIND YOU AND BE GONE.