Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Neither. I like friction!

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have AR-15s and have always and only ever lubricated with gun oil, typically Hoppes.

The Ruger Mini 14 manual doesn’t provide any details on lube points or lube instructions, so I found videos on YouTube (including one from Brownells) that mention using grease.

What do you use?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes I use baby oil on my gun, and a dab of grease on the Mini 14.
TMI there, but you do you. 😂

What type of grease do you use on the Mini 14? I’ve never used grease to lube a rifle, so just not familiar if there is one type or you need a specific type.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TMI there, but you do you. 😂

What type of grease do you use on the Mini 14? I’ve never used grease to lube a rifle, so just not familiar if there is one type or you need a specific type.
At one time at a gun show, many moons ago, the was a guy that had hundreds of these miniature grease bottles about the diameter and height of a dime. These were supposedly issued during WWII with Enfield rifles.

A finger tip dab of that in the Op Rod channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As has been said: oil if it rolls and grease if it slides. A light grease (e.g lithium) for low to 'normal' temps or a heaver for high temps. Auto grease does work fine or you can do the 'boutique' stuff. Just keep it lubed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Use grease sparingly, the same as oil. I use 'grease very lightly, and put a drop, and i mean a drop, of CLP with it, rub lightly and it is all I have ever needed. All of this depends on what you are shooting, how many rounds, weather etc. Most people develop their own style, but the general rule is less is more! Hit the wear points, be super lean on the trigger parts, and firing pins, firing pin channels etc especially in dusty, dirty or cold environments. I once had a bolt gun firing pin freeze on me when hunting in cold weather because it had too much oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts