Oil or grease

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by tbspeed1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

After cleaning your 10/22 do you lube the bolt with oil or grease?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

2. cgor

cgor New Member

I find that using a light weight synthetic oil such as Castrol does a great job and is a lot cheaper in the long run compared to the gun oils sold

Sent from my iPod touch using Ruger Forum

3. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Just a few drops of Slip2000EWL on my Glocks. Started using Tetra Gun grease when I got my SR1911CMD...the rails were so tight..it really helps.
    I also use the Tetra sparingly on the bolt contact surfaces on my 10/22...very sparingly.

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Used to be Mobil 1 synthetic but have started using Frog Lube lately. Either one, a little goes a looong ways.

5. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

You can use either but the word to remember is "sparingly". 22's are rather dirty and the fouling when combined with excess lube forms a dirty sludge. I personally use a light oil...applied sparingly.
    Gary

6. ISDgeek

ISDgeek New Member

I soak the bolts on my 10/22 and Mark III in ballistol when I clean them. I start by wiping them down with a shop towel and using a toothbrush to get off as much carbon as I can, then let them soak in a tub of the stuff for about 30 minutes, or longer if possible. After a good soaking, I scrub them with a brush then soak them again. After that, I wipe them down and get them as dry as possible. The Ballistol leaves a nice residue and gets in the pores of the metal, which makes the surface very slick even when dry.

I also put a drop of Ballistol on the recoil assembly to give it a little extra lube. Probably doesn't need it. But it never hurts.