Oh boy! .. or girl! Haha

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by vw6000, Dec 5, 2015.

1. vw6000

vw6000 New Member

First I want to say thank you! I am happy to be a part of the "girls club"!!

Also, this is something that has been beat to death by many men in many places however, I never see any input from the ladies. Especially moms. So, I would like to know, Do you carry with a round in the chamber or not? Personally I do. I never used to until one day I thought I was actually going to NEED my pistol and I realized in those few seconds there was no way I would be able to rack it and shoot in time. I do have 4 children ages 1, 2, 6, and 11. I am extremely careful as I'm sure most mothers are.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

We're happy to have you!
    One in the chamber all the way.
    As someone who had an experience were I was less than seconds from drawing I was glad I had one in the chamber.
    The short version is I was house sitting. Done this dozens of times for this one family. Day 4 I open the door and my body told me something was wrong but being the house I was watching/feeding at was directly across from 3 sets of in laws I though NO WAY! All's good! Many people are always home across the way!
    It wasn't good. The homeowners mentally unstable (learned later he was very violent) son had broken in after being released from a mental hospital. He'd been released hours away (for not taking his meds) jumped on a bus and walked (hours) to his dad's house. I didn't know him.
    He popped out of the stairwell at me. I evaded him and pretended I knew he ok. There were pages and pages of "love" letters he'd written me on the counter. Real creepy stuff. Read them after the fact.
    Later I figured out that I had left the house sitting note with my name on it on the counter which I usually don't do. That's how he knew my name and that I was coming.
    After he made it clear I was not allowed to contact his parents or use my phone I decided I needed another plan. In the meantime I pretended to feed as I normally would. When he reached for me I pretended to spill the tuna I had on a plate for the cat. I then decided to use the cat as my exit as this man was between me and my only way out. I went down the stairs past the double locked sliding door. Realized I really didn't want to try for that door because even if I'd made it out I was COMPLETELY out of sight from everyone who could possibly see me. So I acted very concerned the cat food was still in its dish. I made a fuss about how I had to find him or his father would be so upset! I went back up the stares and walked out the front door calling the kitty I knew would be no where around since a stranger was in his house. Never been so grateful for a semi feral cat!
    If he'd been able to touch me I would have been forced to draw. I'm grateful everyday I was able to talk my way out of the VERY stressful situation I was in. By pretending to be sympathetic and a friend I was able to keep him calm. The stories he told me were so off the wall crazy I knew I was in trouble if he got worked up. Later I learned he had a very violent history. Why a mental hospital releases patients (especially known violent ones) for NOT taking their meds is beyond me and a bright light into all the mental health issues were facing these days.
    So would I, in this situation, been able to rack the slide? Absolutely not. And I practice A LOT!
    Did I EVER expect to be in this situation or one like it in view of my family? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    Am I beyond glad I was carrying ready to protect myself? 100%
    Learned a lot that day.

3. vw6000

vw6000 New Member

Holy cow! How scary!! I'm so glad you're ok and things ended well!

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

You just never know when and where things can happen.
    I was shaken up a bit. But kept a cool head while it was happening. That's when it mattered most.
    When I was clear of the situation! Adrenaline does crazy things. Lol!

5. vw6000

vw6000 New Member

Yes it does!