Octagonal barrel for 96/22 Mag

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Litehiker, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I have put a Green River octagonal barrel on my Ruger 96/22 Mag. rifle and the accuracy has become better at 3/4" at 50 yards.

Green River's .22 mag octagonal barrel was WAY too long for the 96/22 Mag. rifle so I sent it back and got the shorter .22 LR barrel. I had a gunsmith re-chamber it and add a 2nd extractor slot.

Also I hated Ruger's lawyer-inspired magazine release "protocol". You had to have the lever partially open to release the magazine. So I filed down the "magazine catch" plug so the lever would stay closed and still permit the release of the magazine. Problem solved! I did this on a plug that Ruger sent me so I still have the original "legal" magazine catch plug for any collector, just like I saved the barrel, natch.

Finally, I requested Boyd's Gunstocks to make a laminated stock for this rifle without the barrel band inletting. I just want a plain stock. Maybe they could offer checkering options but it's not necessary for this rifle.

I doubt anyone else has modded their 96/22 as much as I have. But if so let's hear about it.

Eric B.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds great ,
    But I guess we wont know until we see some pics;):)

Jim

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Jim,

I'm trying to find some photos I took of my 96/22. I'll post them for you even though we are politically poles apart. You're a Good Ol' Boy and I'm a flaming liberal NRA member schitzo. Hee, hee It takes all kinds to make America.

I live in Nevada where I can (and do) own 50 round mags and "assault" rifles, unlike where my youngest daughter lives in the PRC. (No, that's not the People's Republic of China but the People's Republic of California.)

As a history teacher for 35 years I always taught that the term "The people" in the U.S. Constitution meant ALL the people in EVERY part of the Constitution, including the 2nd Amendment.

Those who would tell us that "the people" in the 2nd Amendment means only the military and police are totally wrong and have not read the Federalist Papers and other papers on the Constitution written by the founding fathers.

Eric B.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not a Good Ol' Boy.

Pics of a 96/22 ?????

[​IMG]

Jim

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I've seen a bunch of 96/22 projects on various forums. I gotta believe a lot were over on RFC. I debated jumping onto that route when I was full into my 10/22 building stage. Went another route.