Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 9mm Ruger carbine. It is in exc condition but boy is sure is ugly. Came with 2 mags and a Red Dot sight. I paid 300 for it with mags sight and a nice Ruger case. Not having shot it yet...just wondering if these are pretty decent little guns or what. Don't want to sell it or anything but since it is no longer made it must not have been very popular. Any pros or cons on the guns. Luckily I have a fair amount of 9mm ammo. Got no papers or anything. Can you still get mags for the darn thing??

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
H-P still makes popular 9mm carbines I think. You must have the "Classic" version. Same mag. The only significant con, assuming that you regard it as a 50 yards on in gun, is that it uses up ammo quickly. This is because it's easy to hit the target with it, for darn near anyone. Recoil is very light in 9mm, so you can shoot all day - or until the ammo box is empty.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I wouldn't think the 9mm is a short range cartridge, it has plenty of penetration. I have seen a 9mm go through a person then the door behind them, through a 4 foot gap and then through the inside wall behind it. When I worked an indoor range, once a year someone would come in and rent a handgun only to commit suicide on the range.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yrs back these were common. Not so much now. Haven't seen a 9mm one on the racks here in quite a long time. They'll command upwards of $600 easily (depending on condition of course). They use P95 mags I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Oops, I misread your post - obviously. In that condition you got an excellent deal. Not many were made - 9000 in all, 9mm and .40 S&W I read? It was intended as a trunk gun for LEOs who were carrying the P-series pistols, to give them longer effective range when they needed it. Not enough contract sales.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts