Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by boscobarbell, Feb 8, 2017.

1. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

So--as detailed in a previous thread--my beloved LCP II just couldn't keep its dissassembly pin in place. I ended up sending it back to Ruger, and they quickly determined that the pistol needed to be destroyed. Not long thereafter I received a new LCP II at my LGS, and Ruger even paid for the firearm transfer fee. Awesome customer service, and I was thoroughly sold on Ruger.

But...I got the new LCP II out to the range today. It was my fourth range day with the new LCP, and it remains one of my favorite micro-pistols. Great point and shoot, great trigger, very manageable recoil. But unlike the other three visits with the first pistol, this one was a jam-o-matic. FTE or FTF just about every other round. I'd initially hoped it just needed some breaking in (although the first one didn't), so I persisted with almost a hundred rounds of Blazer FMJ. If anything the pistol got worse over that time.

So...I'll be giving Ruger a call tomorrow. I have no doubt that they'll treat me right. But I don't think I can really trust this design at this point, and really don't want a replacement. What are the chances of Ruger replacing it with an original LCP if I ask?

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's a bummer.
    They'll probably give you an original lcp if you ask.......

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I wouldn't send it back quite yet. A good, thorough cleaning and a change in ammo would be my next step. If that didn't work then I'd get on the phone.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I suggest trying another magazine or different ammo. If it still does it after those changes then it definitely deserves a call to Ruger.
    My new Ruger MKIV is a jam-a-matic with Aquila LR22 Super Extra but not with cheapo Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt runs like a champ in it.

5. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I probably should have pointed out that I took the pistol apart and gave it a thorough cleaning and lube before I took it out to the range.

As to trying a new magazine...I only have one, and I'm not about to spend more $$$ on a pistol design that, so far, has been nothing but problems. If Ruger wants to send me a new magazine to try, I'm up for burning a few more rounds at my expense to give it a shot. But I'm extremely skeptical at this point.

6. buster40c

Have you tried another ammo? Perhaps next time you go to the range?

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Two lemons in a row. What are the odds... :gaah:
    It should run with ANY ammo but you might try Fed, Win or even Rem so you can tell CS you've tried.
    Next...
    If Ruger would send you a mag to try it would cost them less than shipping the pistol, they might do it.

I'd be very very hesitant to 'trade down' to the cheaper LCP.
    I'm told the LCP trigger is a real stinker in comparison to the LCP II.

Having said all that, I do understand your frustration. I've been in the same position you're in.
    A guy has to know his SD gun is going to work every single time!

If you can afford the time and ammo, Ruger will keep working with you. At least you got that.
    Good luck and I hope you end up with a pistol that you can trust even if it's not a Ruger...

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

'Two lemons in a row. What are the odds..."

Yeah, what a bummer. I wonder what's going on out in Prescott. Too many irons in the fire, resulting in new help? Cutting corners trying to keep up with demand?

You could go with another outfit, one that ain't real busy. But then you may wonder why they ain't busy.

Since I dropped my LCR down a rathole, my smallest Ruger is an SR40c; it's a good 'un though.

:dunno:

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^whaddya do with your LCR?

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That's a short and embarrassing story.

One morning when I put the gun into the Sticky pocket holster, I put it in wrong way to. Later in the morning I went to the drugstore to fill a script. When I got home I checked for the gun - which wasn't there. But the holster was in my pocket backwards. Searches haven't found the gun, and the local PD hasn't recovered it. It's been 3-4 weeks now.

I am accepting the loss as just one more result of semi-senile stupidity in a strengthening spiral that will eventually lead to the funny farm.

Good and easily concealable gun though; I haven't changed the sig.

11. buster40c

VT that is a real bummer. The holster being in backward makes me wonder how the gun could have fallen out yet the holster is still there.
    Maybe when the snow melts you will find it? I lost a pocket watch in the woods that was covered in deep snow. I told myself I will look for it in the springtime. Sure enough I found it and after winding it up it still worked and kept time.

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's a bummer!! Although I did chuckle a bit while reading that. Hopefully it gets recovered or you find it......

13. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I talked to Ruger Customer Service today, and they were quick to give me a case # and email me a shipping label. I told the CS representative that I had lost all confidence in this new design and was requesting either a refund or credit toward a different Ruger (and that the old design LCP would suffice). The woman said that she wasn't authorized to make that kind of decision, but she recommended that I detail that in the return form that goes in the box with the pistol. Additionally, she flagged the case in the Ruger computer, requesting that I be contacted by a CS manager after my pistol is received.

I am very pleased with Ruger CS thus far. But the pistols? Not so much. I really, really hope things work out this time so I don't have to say goodbye to Ruger.

14. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Ruger will make it right, one way or another.

15. louchia

louchia Member

I have had the opposite problem. My troubles were with the LCP gen2. 4 in a row had to go back and be replaced. This time I asked for a LCP II. They agreed. Hope it works out.
    Hope things work out for you.

16. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have a second gen original LCP. Changed the springs and added a Hogue sleeve and it's my primary CCW. The Wolfe springs doubled its accuracy.

17. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

So, I was contacted by a Ruger representative today.

I was driving at the time of the call, so I wasn't able to take notes, but amongst the numerous changes that my pistol required were a new trigger hinge, a new magazine, and an entire replacement slide...I'm forgetting several more, as the list went on and on.

I reiterated what I had detailed to them both over the phone and on the repair slip...that this was my second LCP II, that the first had to be destroyed and that this second one was an abject failure as well. That no amount of repair would regain my confidence in this design...in fact, quite the contrary, as I had never heard of a NIB pistol that required this many repairs/replacements before even firing 40 rounds.

They stated that Ruger policy dictates that no credit or refund can be given if a firearm can be repaired. I replied that, if that was so, they can send the pistol back to me, that I will sell it immediately upon receipt, and will never buy a Ruger again. The CS agent tried to assure me of all the wonders of Ruger products, and I told him that it was a bit late in the game to convince me.

So, I'll be selling off the LCP II as soon as it is returned, and put this Ruger experiment behind me. It looks like I'm back to Glocks, and I'm pretty much okay with that.

But it's a shame, really. I'd had such high hopes.....

18. boscobarbell

boscobarbell New Member

I should add that the list of work done to my pistol included not only malfunctioning parts in my LCP II, but also service bulletin items that they had received regarding these pistols. This is doubly disconcerting. Bear in mind, I only had this second LCP II for a matter of weeks. That means that either these problems arose in that short a period of time with these guns now being generally available on the market, or they shipped me a replacement gun without addressing these know issues. Either way, no good. Not acceptable.

And I understand that firearms are just little machines, and that machines break/malfunction. But I have never owned a pistol with this many known problems over such a short shelf life.

19. buster40c

I would fire the heck out of it and see how it performs now. I do understand about not trusting it buy it just might run like a timex since they replaced so much of the gun. I had a KelTec pf9 that the trigger totally failed. KelTec for the most part replaced most of the gun parts. Although it did function okay when I got it back I did sell it.
    There has been a couple or so here that Ruger did replace their guns. One I believe was an SP101 that the owner asked and got another model gun as replacement. I think the SP101 the cylinder locking up was declared not repairable.

Perhaps Ruger will replace your LCPII if you have to send it back again.
    Let us know if the gun is repaired and functions as it should like it's a new gun now.

20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I know what you mean about not trusting a pistol / design that's been problematic.
    Been there, done that. :gaah:
    If it was me maybe I'd give it one more try, maybe!
    You'll be selling a used pistol even if you don't fire it so you'll only be out the ammo if you try again.
    Of course I know ammo for it ain't cheap so...

When you receive it please let us know more about the list of parts that were replaced.

I hate to see this kind of thing happening with Ruger. :(