Noise sensative

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today I went to the indoor range that I attend every Sunday. Prior to entering I install my ear plugs and ear muffs and put on my protective glasses. Upon entry, the guy who was in the lane next to mine was firing a .40 cal. Even with all my protection, the "crack" of the pistol bothered me. I entered my lane and every time he fired, I could ALMOST seem to feel the concussion from his firearm. It really threw me off my game. Then another person entered on my left side and was shooting .357, I am in between the both, and the noise from left and right was very disconcerting. I was there to practice double taps and after 100 rounds I quit. Lately I have noticed that when I go to car shows (weekly) cars that have loud exhaust or running headers uncorked really bothers me. I have tinnitus( constant ear ringing) and have for years however today it really affected me. Has anyone experienced this and how do you overcome it? I have had this problem years ago however lately, it has really become a problem, however it has never affected my shooting. If anyone has had this problem, please share and help me get over this. Thanks to all!!!

Tommy

P.S. I know getting older has an adverse affect but at 70, it should not be this adverse. :dunno:

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

From what I have heard when people are shooting 357 at a range they often draw a few other shooters asking what he was shooting. As I am sure the other shooters had their hearing protection on, because they can't be there without them, they were still noticing the much louder 357 round over all the others. I think maybe the forty was more noticeable possibly because you are not used to the particular sound of the 40.
    I have never heard that about a person shooting a 40. Myself having the SR40c I really never noticed the sound was more noticeable than my other guns. I actually think shooting without hearing protection the 9mm Ka-Rack sound would be harsher than say a 40 0r a 45. I guess it's because of the 9 breaking the sound barrier due to bullet velocity.

Something to consider is many top hearing protection devices only reduce the sound level by 26-30 db. So at that note a 357 at 164 db using protection is still around 130db which anything over a 100 is equated as damage to hearing. 160db is considered threshold of pain.

88dB = .177cal air rifle
    152dB = .22LR
    155 dB = .25 ACP
    155 dB = .223REM
    156 dB = .308WIN
    151 dB = 12GA
    159 dB = 9mm
    164dB = .357MAG
    157dB = .45ACP

10dB is normal breathing. 120dB is approximately the threshold of pain. Remember that the decibel scale is a logarithmic scale, not linear. Each 10dB increase corresponds to a 10-fold increase in energy

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

3. allenr

allenr Member

Tommy,
    I don' know if this will help but I had a similar problem last year. At 75 y.o. am hard of hearing and need hearing aids. At the range I take them out. Previously I used plugs rated at 23 and electronic muffs retakes at 25. In spite of that I could hear the firing from other shooters at the range. I assumed it might be a problem with the controls of the electronic muffs. I tried a different set. Same problem. So I bought a non electronic set of muffs rated at 37. I found them on eBay for $39. Using the plugs and the muffs with hearing aids out I can barely hear anything. With hearing aids in and set to low volume I cannot hear neighboring shooting positions firing noise. Hope this might help.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The noise level is why I avoid indoor ranges nowadays. Tommy, all I can suggest is to read the specs on ear muffs, and get some that are rated for at least 30dB. You won't be able to hear the range officer - at all - but the quieting, compared to the typical 23-25dB muffs, is impressive.

My hearing has gone from bad to worse over the past few years, but most of the loss is not in the midrange. The gun's bang is a broad range impact thing, so it hasn't gotten quieter for me. The supposition that we can't hear the woman's nagging is wrong; we we can hear her only too well. We just can't understand her. So she repeats herself louder. We just can't catch a break there either.

;)

5. buster40c

I notice when there is any background noise, such as a small fan running, I have a much harder time hearing the TV. Where I really notice a hearing problem is when talking on the phone. I ask people to speak slower then I can understand what they are saying. When they speak faster it seems the words run together making it harder for me to get what they are saying.

My hearing basically has a certain frequency or low tone area I can't hear. I can't hear the turn signal clicking sound inside a car for instance. I guess the tone of a phone is why the phone conversations are hard to hear.

One of my vacuum cleaners is so loud I wear hearing protection when using it. It sounds like a dang jet.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I turn my hearing aids down from level three to between 1 and 2, then put on the ear muffs. This allows me to hear the range officer or if out in the desert the people I'm with.

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Wait, a .22 is louder than a 12 gauge?
    :headscratch:

8. buster40c

I think the report is wrong in several ways. I can shoot a 22lr and not have any pain and according to the chart the 22lr is 30 points over the pain threshold. I also don't think a 22 is near as loud as a 45 either. For me the 9mm has much more impact than a 40 or 45.

Barrel length can make a huge difference in loudness of any caliber. A 3" 22 might possibly be as loud as a 45 in a long barrel.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I know that my ear muffs are getting quite old and I will have to look into replacing them.

Buster,
    I have the same problem with my cell phone. It feels like people are talking real fast and I can't comprehend all they are saying. And there are many times I can't hear my cell phone. My wife jumps all over my butt because she calls and states I won't answer and I tell her I can't hear the phone ringing. I have the volume turned up on the ringer. There are certain pitch sounds I can't hear and others I can. Same thing is when someone it talking. Certain voices are hard to hear due to the pitch of there voice.

I just don't know why though that today my ears were so sensitive on the firing line. The sound just seemed to amplify and the more the other people shot, the worse it got. It FELT like I could feel the muzzle blast from opposite lanes. When I was shooting, I had a hard time focusing but the blast from my pistol didn't bother me. When I do double taps I have to be totally focused on my target, recoil and re-acquiring my sight picture but today I couldn't. Dang!!! One of the range officers I talked to had me use his ear muffs and I stood back behind the firing line just listening and it didn't help. I am going to do as Bob and Allen said, to look on E-Bay for some other ear muffs and find the right ones. At least give them a try and see what happens.
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

Tommy

10. buster40c

From what I have read shooting at a range is almost a guarantee of hearing loss due to the constant firing of guns in the shooting area. Also from what I read the air temperature in the shooting area also has an impact on causing hearing loss.
    Tommy just how many people were shooting this time when you had the problem? If there was more people shooting than usual that could have caused the increase in hearing sensitivity. Also didn't you say the range isn't air conditioned?
    http://m14forum.com/hearing/78442-various-noise-levels-firearms.html

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  11. buster40c

Recently wasn't congress voting on repealing gun suppressor laws? You would think our military would insist on military guns being equipped with silencers. I have been told that soldiers are given hearing protection devices but not many soldiers use them because they want to hear what is going on around them. I think it is about time the military required military guns be silenced.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have always had hearing problens. As a child there was surgery to improve my hearing. Then during my time in the Marine Corps, they said i have artillery ear. 40% hearing loss that hearing aids will not help . I am overly sensitive to loud noises I think because I want to preserve the hearing I still have. I have had tinnitus so long I can not remember not having it.

I use a pair of plugs that are fitted to the ear, right and left. These plugs lock into the lobe of your ear and have a feature that allows you to hear normal noise, but blocks noise over so many decibels. I pair these with a pair of electronic muffs that do the same. They work very well paired together and i can still hear instructions from ith RSO, most of the time anyway. Thmuffs are Peltor, the plugs unfortunately I can not remember. They come in a blue and white package if that helps.

13. allenr

allenr Member

It might just be happening to some extent. The Marines have equipped an entire infantry battalion with silencers. The idea is to make it easier for the war fighters to hear battlefield commands. I guess that are unconcerned with the grunts' hearing.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a24055/marines-infantrymen-silencers/

Once in Nam my recon team settled in for a day at an Army fire base that came under fire. There were two batteries of 105 mm howitzers there. All eight of the guns were firing away for several hours. I could not hear much for several hours after the firing stopped. The only earplugs we had were fingers.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Allen, that experience reminds me of soldiers' experiences in WW2, who found themselves in close proximity to tanks during the course of an action.

There being no other path for asking you: have you read Matterhorn? It was a powerful - and dismaying - experience for me. I would value your comments.

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I was going to say something along those lines. I have a few .22's, and the rifle with a 22" barrel is queit while my 6" revolver is the most painful gun I have to shoot without hearing protection. I've shot my .3006 several times without hearing protection and it's loud, but isn't painful. My mossberg 500 12 gauge with a 28" barrel isn't uncomfortable to shoot without plugs in, definitely loud but I feel that the noise is coming way out at the end of that long barrel.

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Our range is small and not air conditioned. We have 8 lanes on one side and 6 lanes on the right side. There is a small divider wall between the left and right side however there is no door so the sound from the right side comes through. When I first got there lane 4 (I was lane 3) was already shooting and then the .357 came on lane 2. The only open lane was #8. They allow people to shoot rifle and shotgun on the right side of the range and it's not unusual to have someone shooting about any size rifle or shotgun. Why they do that, I cannot give you a reasonable answer. Total length of the range is only 60 feet. I have had to shoot next to guys who are firing .454 and larger and I have to walk away as the muzzle blast is painful. When there are fewer shooters then the noise doesn't seem to affect me. I might have had a bad day but again I have to say that certain noises, even at car shows are really becoming a problem for me. Especially some one running with headers uncorked or Borla exhaust and some Magna Flows.

Tommy

17. buster40c

I was at a local gathering car show and there was a Corvette there that the guy had the engine super built for HP. I was behind the car when the nailed the throttle. I was pissed because he didn't even look or warn anyone behind the car. It must have had those mufflers that upon full throttle they are almost like straight through pipes. Dang my ears took a beating from that.

Tommy I suggest you find somewhere else to shoot or you will not have to worry about hearing the gun blasts. Check around for some local clubs that might have a place out in the country to shoot. I don't go to ranges anymore because it is so loud. That's why I built my trap in the first place. I probably would seldom shoot if I could only shoot at a range. Indoor or outdoor I don't like them.
    I don't recall my tinnitus ever being as bad as it is now that I started shooting.

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've been told that as we age some inner parts of the ear become more sensitive to loud noises.
    Not saying that applies to any of us... :dunno:

I used to do a lot of small game hunting with a 12 ga. Last time out the blast Hurt my left ear.
    (The stock partially covers the right).
    Probably should get those electronic gadgets that fit in your ear and close when you shoot.
    I looked into them a while back, seems like pretty good ones (?) start at about $150.

:usa:

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  19. buster40c

I had read an article that stated by having the butt of a rifle or shotgun against the cheek is bad because the vibrations go up to the inner ear also adding to possible damage to hearing. Even though the noise is farther out from the ears there is now the added vibrations from the stock to cheek and jaw bone. The article said even though wearing protection seems to cut down on the felt noise the vibrations are still having an affect on the inner ear.
    Sounds to me like they should repeal the ban on silencers. As usual it is a stupid law considering why it was made in the first place. As usual the law is only heeded by the law abiding anyway.

20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

There is a bill up, or working it's way up called The Safe Hearing Act.
    It would make it so you could buy a suppressor without the $200 tax.
    As I understand it you would have to fill out the same type of forms as when buying a firearm.