Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might be a good idea to check out Noah's building plans for his ark.
I can't believe this weather! This round of storms was just a little bit less than last month storms. Friend had 3-4' of water in his house last month just started putting in new drywall and insulation. He now has 2' of water in his house from this storm. Rescues have been hard since many areas are closed off by flooding. The storm now is headed toward Houston.
Listening to county scanner they are asking if any more boats are becoming available for rescues.
I have so far lucked out as the water only got up to an inch from coming into the house. The storm in my area has mostly passed thank goodness. I hope this weather doesn't get repeated for another 20 years at least.

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
I go caught out driving in 60 mph winds with hail and rain so hard I could not see the road for 20 minutes last night. That's enough.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Noah's Ark...

Noah's Ark, or at least a boat of some sort......
Are you high and dry where you're at buster?

Just saw the news, the Brazos river is out of it's banks and rising with more rain on the way.
They're saying it will crest at 53.5' in the coming days south of Houston at the Rosharon area. I think that is about 8~10' ABOVE flood stage.
Brazos Bend State Park is near there and closed for the flood.

We drove over to take a look today, it's out alright. Those people are gonna get it yet again!
Last year when it was out of it's banks people were fishing with nets along the sides of the highway. Just put the net in and bring up a fish.
I believe I heard on the news (or someplace) it's been 100 years since the Brazos has been as high as they expect it to go this time.....
God Speed to you folks along the river. This ain't gonna be good!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
100 year floods are never good, I think. Irene gave us one of those; it made a mess. Floods mostly don't spread out so much in hill country, but they tear stuff up.

We don't have to grin, but we do have to bear it. Best wishes to you and your neighbors.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are saying this storm was 500 year and some places it was of 1000 year. I don't know how they figure that out because they surely didn't have records from 500 let alone1000 years ago.
The Brazos is about 15 miles from me and the main highway going over it had been closed during the storm and it is still closed. Any road that had a creek crossing it was impassable. This last storm we had another 19" in some places. I came within an inch of it coming into the house again. Several buildings had just started repairing from the first flood and got nailed again by this one.
Mt land actually is like a plateau but the farmers fields slope right to my land and the neighbors raising their property damning me in has really caused me flooding problems. If the county would put larger drainage pipes in then IMO this problem could be solved for my area, but I don't even expect them to do anything but say it wouldn't help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts