Missouri No permit

Discussion in 'South Central USA' started by Floorist, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

Missouri has a bill in the legislature that would allow CCW without a permit.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

IMO it should be like that all across the USA because of "shall not be infringed". Amazing how the Constitution is ignored. The Constitution shall be the law of the land has been so read into it is ridiculous. Rule of Law....what a joke that statement is when the rule of law is whatever it is thought and said to be, not what the Constitution says it is.

3. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

Kansas passed a no-permit law last year.

4. buster40c

West Virginia just passed their no permit bill and even went over the governor veto to make it law.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Your neighbor to the north ....Ky, has the same bill, passed the house, and is in senate now..:cool:

Jim

6. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I wish NM would get its act together. You can however open carry anywhere.

7. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

MO HB 1468 came out of Committee with a do pass recommendation on 3/16/16. This bill is the open carry without a conceal permit. If it gets through, Gov. Nixon will most likely veto it. Then they will have to over ride.

Someone stuck in a provision for gun registration, I hope that doesn't stick. Currently, Missouri does not register guns at all.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  8. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Keep us posted on this. I'm in St Louis as well.

9. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

You know, I'm in west STL, and I've never seen anyone open carrying. To my understanding, it is legal. Any input on this?

10. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

The 2014 law says that no municipality carry make open carry illegal.
    This from 2014
    "Missouri just passed an open carry law banning any city or other municipal entity in the state from ever approving a statute which would ban such an expression of Second Amendment rights. Amendment 5 ensured that all Missouri gun laws as “unalienable.” The law was inspired, at least in part, by the city of Webster Groves passing a law banning open carry in September.
    Amendment 5 passed with 60 percent of the vote during the primary election in August. The overturn of the open carry ban in Webster Groves occurred in late October, after the new state law was enacted. “We have no choice in the matter. We must comply with the state law and all of us as municipalities are facing this,” Mayor Gerri Welch said.

Open carry bans at the local level became subject to the new state statute after Republicans in the state senate and house overrode Governor Jay Nixon’s extensive gun control bill. The new gun rights law not only terminates all open carry bans but also lowers the age for concealed carry permits to 19. Opponents to the age 21 concealed carry permit laws in many states often note that at 18, Americans can go to prison, get married, pay taxes, hold public office, and carry high-velocity weapons in the military, but cannot garner a concealed carry permit or buy a beer at the local watering hole, when arguing for changes in the age restrictions.
    Not long after the open carry ban was lifted in Missouri, a large group of peaceful protesters “tested” the new statute in St. Louis. The group exercised their open carry rights during a march around the city. Jeffry Smith, a firearms instructor from Ohio and a gun rights activist led the Open Carry/Firearms Educational Walk. Smith said that he wanted Missouri residents to understand that their state constitution provides the fundamental right to open carry, without the need for a concealed carry permit. The group marched from Citygarden to the Gateway Arch without incident. SB 656, also a comprehensive gun rights bill recently passed in the state, declared that anyone with a concealed carry permit can now open carry in any town in Missouri."

11. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Great info, many thanks. Just surprised I haven't seen anyone practicing the right to open carry.

12. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

Starting to see a few here, but this is mostly a rural area. Only 23,000 people in the county.

13. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

I wonder if the GOP will override it...

14. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

They had more than enough votes the first time. We will see in September.

15. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

•Recognize Missourians right to Constitutional/Permitless Carry where open carry is not prohibited
    •Expand Missouri’s current Stand your Ground laws
    •Expand Castle Doctrine protections for anyone legally allowed into your home, vehicle, business and property
    •Specify that except for credit card fees incurred, no additional fee beyond $100 may be charged to process concealed carry permits and allows military members extra time to renew their permits
    •Implement 10, 20 and 50 year options for non-reciprocity issued permits
    •Allow components of firearm training for RTC permits to be online
    Governor Nixon vetoed SB 656 on June 27, on the last day that it was expected for him to do so. The chances for a veto override are very good. Two years ago, another omnibus firearms law reform bill was also vetoed.

These are the provisions of the Missouri bill that was vetoed by the governor. It will most likely be overturned in the veto session. If not, both candidates for governor, the Republican and the Democrat support the bill.

16. buster40c

I guess they just don't understand taking away a man's right to defend himself is criminal in itself. Talk about shall not infringe.....evidently that doesn't mean squat to judges and politicians.
    That's like a thief telling a business owner he can't have cameras or alarms. It has been law for ages people can't booby trap their residences because that just is inhumane treatment of criminals. Stupidity to the max IMO.
    Then if the residence owner didn't make his place impossible for a thief to enter then the owner is still to blame for why the thief got into or onto his property and can get sued by the thief if the thief got hurt. Stupidity again to the max.

17. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Overturned. Anyone know when it goes into effect? I wonder if there are any further requirements prior to carrying...

18. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

The legislature overrode the governor's veto. Starting Jan. 1st, concealed carry without a permit will be legal.