No Open Carry Sign at Church

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by MagBlackhawk, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Over the holidays we visited a Texas church that had the 30.07 (no open carry) sign posted.

When I asked one of the regulars about it he said they voted on it and decided it was best if guns were not seen in the congregation.
    He further explained some people might be "put off" by the sight of a gun.

Concealed carry is OK with them. He said some do carry concealed.

He agreed with me that our enemy may at some point attack us in our Christian churches.
    If, or should I say when that starts happening I wonder if they'll re-think that sign?

I have to wonder if it might be better if Jihads don't know who is armed and who is not.
    Or would it be better if Jihads were led to believe most everyone in the church is Very Well armed.
    I just don't know.....

But I do know one thing, I will not go to church or a Christmas party unarmed!

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I can see the open carry perhaps causing a problem and it's cool they do allow CC. Personally I think I am safer CC than OC.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I really doubt the Jihads really care who's carrying and who's not,they just want to kill as many of us as they can so they can get to all those virgins :rolleyes: . Just look at all the Suicide Bombers there's been for crying out loud :rolleyes: .

4. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

As a Pastor my hope is that more and more churches are applying wisdom with prayer. Preparation and coordination with local law enforcement is paramount.

Church security should begin in the parking lot with eyes and ears and continue on to the greeters/ushers. We send our folks to a variety of training on how to diffuse situations etc. as well as ensure all have law enforcement numbers on speed dial. Communications is the number one tool in keeping people safe.

Actually our biggest nightmare is parents/domestic issues which seemed to manifest at the Sunday School rooms ... not often thankfully...

Our church is a bit too large for drills, however we do require drills to be conducted with essential personal - Pastors, Ushers, Greeters, nurses, and Parking Lot attendees. If the top knows what to do we have a greater chance of getting things headed in the right direction.

We also have a couple of Law Enforcement personal in our services (off-duty). CC in this state is next to impossible - however we have a couple of people who work state/federal prisons and have offered to pay for their classes (CC) in exchange for security assistance.

We can authorize open carry but to be honest with you in Maryland that will cause more potential problems than solutions.

5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I myself have never been a fan of OC, because I usually focus all my attention on those people. Either CC (legally), or leave the job to those are legally concealed carrying.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Conceal Carry and be done with it...

Simple.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I must admit I may be a heathen as I do not attend church regularly. However I do believe in the bible and I fear not death as I know that Jesus Christ is my savior and accept him as such.

As far as being armed in church, and remember I am not attending as I probably should, I don't think that it is wise to mark an area as being a "gun free" zone. We have all seen the horrific shooting done by that young man in a black congregation. Those people, rather than cause a riot, gave him forgiveness, in spite of the terrible deed. Places that advertise "gun free" zones are marking their territory for the BGs to offer them a soft target zone. If a BG wants to create havoc he just has to read the signs that are posted. I would suggest, and this is MHO that when such zones are marked, they are eventually going to have a potential problem. Not all, but some areas. Regardless of the signage, I would still carry concealed and not want or to let people know I am armed. In Az. you can open carry however most of the people I know who carry are very wary of letting anyone know that they are armed. I have seen some open carry however, for myself, that is the same thing as putting a target on your back. You will be the first one that a BG wants out of the picture if he decides that you would be an immediate threat to him. I am speaking for myself only.

Tommy

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I attend church on a regular basis.
    I do not advocate open carry in church.

We are set up like uscg721 describes above.
    We have 4 persons that have been LE trained (Im one) ,

We rotate position every week, from the sound security room, where we have 18 cameras watching inside and outside the building.

I will say that MOST of the people know that we (4) are always armed, and there are several more in the Church that are armed , but not OPEN Carry.

WE have security meetings and set plans for many different scenarios.

Jim

9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Jim, I believe you folks have certainly discussed how we protect soft targets these days. I would feel very safe there, and one of these days, I'd like to visit you and your church!

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You come visit and Ill see to it that you get to go to our Church,:)

We also believe that if enough Church's enroll in a well armed security program, that one day soon .....church's will no longer be considered soft targets, and therefore bypassed by the BG.:cool:

I cant understand why any group that is considered a target of violence, would sit back and do nothing to prevent such violence . :dunno:

Jim

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

If it were my Church...a few signs would be placed around the perimeter:

In God We Trust...but we ALSO depend on the accuracy of our many armed parishoners !!

That would put 'em back on their heels...

12. conservative

conservative New Member

Isis just made a list of churches they want to attack. And there have been some active shooter situations in churches. Even though my church is small, this is one reason why I am planning to start carrying.

13. wardo82

wardo82 New Member

Shooter13 just want to say in all the threads I read I have to say I always seem to agree with everything you say. You seem to be a very wise person and I thank you for all your input.

Ryan Ward

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I can just see it now........ The Church of God, Guns and Guts.

The Pastor (SHOOTER13) with a rifle sling over shoulder. Same as everyone in the choir.
    Rifle racks in front of every pew. Strict rules about not putting ammo in the offering plates.

A shooting range out back. Sunday afternoon pot lucks would be fun, I'd attend.

Nah, Someone might get the wrong idea. Well, it was just a thought...

:usa:

15. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Since this subject broached, what do you think of "armor bearers"? uscg721's post sounds like that's about what they are doing. I know of one church that goes so far as to have an armory. Their armor bearers do carry open.

A family members church encourages carry. The pastor asks that you carry, although I have never seen anyone OC. He says you never know when the need arises. They have regular gatherings where they have friendly competition, pins, plates, skeet, etc. Extremely well run.

As far as carry in church for me? I am a supporter if OC. I learned first hand that the second it takes to do something like lift your shirt to gain access to your CCW, might be the second that you do not have. That said, I carry in church, but it is a place that I will not open carry. I do not want to be the person that keeps another away because they do not share my views.

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't necessarily carry every day, but I do always carry in certain places. Church is one of them. The idea that any person would go into a worship service of any religion with intent to harm others, is something I can't tolerate. I wonder, do many churches even have security plans? Or designated "sheepdogs"? I don't think that I'm aware of any churches around me that have such plans. I'd like to see what the percentage of congregations with such plans is...

17. mulescj8

mulescj8 Member

We just got a new pastor at our church and I will be approaching him soon on this subject. The wife and I attended one of the sheep dog seminars a few years back and I have all the materials and videos from it.

He is retired Navy so I'm hoping he will be open to the idea of forming a security team. My wife and I both conceal carry in church and I know of a few others that also do. We also have a county sheriff deputy that attends when he isn't working.

Would like for us to have an organized security force in place sometime this year. Our church is small and in a small town so we need to be our own first line of defense. We are also a growing church so need to address this now before it gets to large and disorganized.

18. conservative

conservative New Member