Nickel or Chrome plated Ruger .44 carbine? help

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Pr0VideR, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Pr0VideR

Pr0VideR New Member

I Inhereted this rifle from my dad a couple of years ago. My dad discovered it was painted satin black and cleaned the paint off and it's chromed or nickel not sure which. My Dad bought this gun probably around '89. I hunted with it numerous times and actually took a couple of deer with it. It was purchased used and I have no idea where from I assume an individual.
    I've done some looking around and I cannot find any info on nickel or chromed being an option on these rifles. I tried to contact ruger yesterday and wasn't able to get through. I guess my question is has anyone seen one? I'm thinking the previous owner had the thing chromed.
    Overall the gun isint in bad shape. The stock is in need for some tlc. I am considering having the gun stripped and cerakoted and buying a new stock. However if I discover this is a factory chrome job I'll leave it alone.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

Are you sure that it's not stainless? Did they even make a stainless version?

3. Pr0VideR

Pr0VideR New Member

I am sure. I'll try to post a couple of pictures.

4. paske

paske New Member

Try using a magnet , stainless steel does not stick.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Stainless, depending on the grade/quality can somewhat attract a magnet. There were no stainless 44 carbines and no nickel or otherwise plated ones produced either. Were such done, it would be non-factory.

6. JimA

JimA Member

All my stainless guns will attract a magnet.