Newbie introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DYSMAN78, Jul 20, 2018.

1. DYSMAN78

DYSMAN78 New Member

Hey folks. glad to join my fellow Ruger enthusiasts. My first rifle and first handgun were both Rugers. Have bought a few more since then and am leaning towards focusing on Ruger Revolvers in the near future. Joined to get some ideas and discuss various makes/models.

rugertoter likes this.
  2. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forum

DYSMAN78 likes this.

3. quirky

quirky Active Member

Hello DYSMAN, newbie here myself. It's a nice little forum here, somewhat quiet but I like that.
    Well, hard to go wrong with a revolver, I myself go back in forth but always end up back with my trusty LCR mainly because the trigger is so good out of the box and I feel confident with it. I've own two so far, the .38 special and the .357 magnum versions and may be getting the 9mm version.

I once own three S&W 642's but could not shoot them one handed because the triggers were so bad on them. And I'm not about to spend another $150 dollars or so to get them shootable and still won't come near how good the LCR is out of the box.

Very few I have ever heard shoot a snubby like I do, the old saying about "carry often shoot little" doesn't apply to me, my carry snubby is also my range toy.
    Ruger must have figured there 'd be a few odd balls like us out here. Because the LCR is built to take it as well.

I called customer service up yesterday because I could not see anything in the manual about shooting +P in 9mm in LCR and spoke to a nice woman called Bonnie. She wasn't really sure and put me hold and then came back on and said the engineer told her shoot to your hearts content.

I told her I probably would never shoot +P but that it was good to know out of curiosity.
    +P 9mm is rated at 38,500 chamber pressure, that's 3,500 more than .357 magnum is rated at.
    What does that tell you, it's built good.

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  4. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  5. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Howdy All! Great to see a *NEW* Ruger firearms forum get off the ground and up and running. I've been involved with Ruger Mark pistols since 1971 and believe I've encountered just about every issue that has ever given a Ruger Mark pistol owner fits.
    So, hope that I can be of some help to those who own one of these fine guns, even the perplexing Ruger Mark III pistols. :D

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  6. tsveggie

tsveggie Member

Tsveggie here
    My first Ruger was a 10/22

Loved it!

Couple of years ago My son and I were trolling and a gun show and he sees this Ruger 22 pistol I’m not impressed at first but then I see it’s a Ruger Mark one circa 1954

Became my second Ruger

Year ago February I landed an LCP 2
    I got one of the ones that needed rehab but it works great now Thanks to Ruger’s excellent customer service

my next one hopefully will be a 9 mm 357 magnum convertible wheel gun

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Welcome from Texas!

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  8. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

9. DYSMAN78

DYSMAN78 New Member

thank you all for the replies. I just picked up my Ruger Single ten and haven't shot it yet. It feels amazing in my hands and i have a great feeling this one will be remaining in my collection for a long time. Already thinking about my next one and am leaning towards the Ruger Blackhawk 357 6.5" model 0316. unfortunately in NJ i have to wait 30 days between purchases so right now i'm just surfing and reading reviews.

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Hello and welcome from Indiana! :)

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. Been a Ruger enthusiastic for years, but just really started owning them in the past few years. A member of the forum for a bit, but there is not much traffic here. Lately the forum is picking up some momentum and that is good.

My first Ruger was a MKII. Had to scrape and sacrifice to get one. My second a few years later was a Old Army. Those were my token Rugers for over 20 years.

In the past 5 years I have picked up a Sngle Six convertible, Bearcat, SP101, Super Blackhawk, and two LCRX, both the snubby and 3 inch. Also picked up a SR1911, LCPII, American Compact Pistol, and the Security 9.

Like you, I prefer the revolvers. The only semi automatic Rugers l liked were the MK series 22 pistols and the 1911, but lately they have been coming out with semi automatic pistols I like.

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  12. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Hello from KY.

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  13. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

That 30 day thing would really mess with my mojo. I have so many Rugers on my want list... It would take too many years to get them all if I were limited to one a month. And the list keeps growing.

14. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

The sooner you buy something the sooner the 30 day starts ticking down to buy another.

DYSMAN78 and pmdoit like this.
  15. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I just checked my inventory. I have purchased 9 Rugers and 1 Taurus in the past 9 months.

16. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like your doing pretty good congratulations

trichey56 likes this.
  17. DYSMAN78

DYSMAN78 New Member

well i just bought a Blackhawk but have to wait until after Labor day to take possession.

18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new Blackhawk and welcome to he forum. Too bad ya gotta wait for it.

First gun I bought was a .44 mag Super B back in 1976. Still have it and quit a few others. Wasn't the first gun I owned, but the first handgun I was old enough to buy. Got the M77 rifle in .270 and a Ruger standard .22 a year later. Still have the rifle and have gone through alot of Mk is & IIs since then. Still have three Mk IIs. More Rugers than any other brand.

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  19. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I am basically lean toward a revolver for SD carry. Can't get anymore safer and dependable at the same time.
    I started out as a newbe with semi autos I guess because that was the biggy for SD carry. After a few years I got away from the semi autos for carry and almost all my carry guns are revolvers now. I have an LC9s but it sits in the safe with the other semi autos most of the time.

pmdoit likes this.
  20. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

I'm with you buster. I'm carrying a SP101 .357 most of the time. It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. Still looking for a good holster. I currently use an OWB leather 20° cant at 3:00. I'm not real happy with the retention. I use Kydex for my polymer pistols but can't get myself to put my stainless revolvers in the hard sheath.