Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While visiting my LGS I saw this neat looking short barreled Ruger in the case and asked to see it. Having it in hand I had to have it. I understand these were a Davidsons special from a few years ago. Mine in 45 caliber has an expended case envelope dated 11/14 so Davodons must have a lot of them.
Anyone here have one and if so what do you think of them?

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
one of these has been on my wish list for quite a while now.....

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I haven't actually been able to hold one in my hand, but I have wanted to. It looks good! Can you fire .45ACP also? That is my intent to have one where I can shoot .45 ACP so I am not having to load another different type of round.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Still available new.

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/specSheets/5144.html#zipSearch

If my Blackhawk experience carries over, .45 auto bullets over .451 won't chamber.

Bob,
I could be wrong but I thought Ruger was building a single action pistol that would shoot .45 cal with .452 bullets. Reason I am asking is I want to shoot the Berry plated bullets through it so I don't have to be spending money on 2 different sizes. I could be wrong, but I thought maybe the Vaquero would shoot .452's.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Bob,
I could be wrong but I thought Ruger was building a single action pistol that would shoot .45 cal with .452 bullets. Reason I am asking is I want to shoot the Berry plated bullets through it so I don't have to be spending money on 2 different sizes. I could be wrong, but I thought maybe the Vaquero would shoot .452's.

Tommy
I dunno. Maybe that Vaquero is the one you are thinking of. My Blackhawk came with cylinders having .451 freebores. It shoots larger bullets in .45 Colt by swaging them in the freebores. It can do that because the bullets are seated deep enough so the crimp is at the front edge of the cylindrical portion of the bullet. So the cartridges will chamber. The .45 auto cartridges have some of the cylindrical diameter outside the case, so will not chamber if they are over .451.

I am swaging my lead alloy bullets to .451 (using a Lee swaging die) before assembling the cartridges. I don't know how well that would work with plated bullets.

Considering your considerable powers of persuasion, maybe your Ruger contact will reveal what the story is with Vaquero cylinders, eh Tommy?

;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts