New SR40 Won't Chamber Rounds

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by mcqueenpker, Dec 7, 2013.

1. mcqueenpker

mcqueenpker New Member

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new SR40 for my fiance today. I tried to load it when we got home with both Hornady Critical Duty and Remington UMC but the gun wouldn't chamber either. The round gets stuck before the returns to its normal position. I'm curious if this is a common problem with an easy fix for if I need to get in contact of Ruger to get this issue fixed. If I jiggle the slide a little bit the round will eventually go in properly. But then if I try to eject that round and have another chamber, it's the same issue. Here's a picture of how the round ends up if I just rack the slide and let it go.

[​IMG]

It's almost like the barrel doesn't want to go back into place properly when a round pushes against it. I field stripped the gun and didn't notice anything horribly out of place but the only other handgun I've owned is a S&W SW9VE and never had a single issue with it.

(And before anyone asks, yes all my rounds are 40S&W. I don't think I'm making any newbie mistakes)

2. mcqueenpker

mcqueenpker New Member

Alright, I got it fixed. I wouldn't call it a newbie mistake, but I field stripped it again and noticed the spot where the spring was sitting was on the second notch up. I moved it as close to the barrel as possible and reassembled the gun. The next round I tried to chamber went in fine. The next few did as well. My fiance got 1 to catch and stick like in the picture, but it seems like it's going to be a bit more rare. So now I guess I'll call Ruger and see if there's a fix for it to make sure it's not going to be an issue since my fiance intends to CC this gun.

3. chsparkman

chsparkman New Member

I had the same problem when I first got my sr40c. Ended up polishing the feed ramp with Flitz and that cleared things up nicely. Very reliable now.

4. firefox

firefox New Member

Keep running round through it. The SR are very tight out of the box. The more the internals get polished through use, the gun will open up for you. It took about 600 rounds for mine to loosen up. It shows Ruger is using quality manufacturing processes, but frustrating because it is anew gun and not working properly. Have patience's it will get better.

5. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Upwards of 9000 rds through my SR40 now. .hope yours turns out okay. ..love this gun :)

6. refugee

refugee New Member

try it you'll like it. shoot the snot out of it. some need a hundred or so downrange to break in. i expect when you get out with it a time or two you'll love yours as much as i do mine.

7. TXWheelgunner

TXWheelgunner Aim small Miss small

A little lube goes a long way on a new gun. Did you field strip it & clean it prior to shooting it ?

8. chsparkman

chsparkman New Member

Also check to make sure the firing pin is fully retracting. Mine got stuck a couple of times when it needed cleaning an would not chamber a round. Had to take it all the way down and give a good scrubbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Good point...a clean gun is a happy gun.
    I probably over do it when it comes to keeping my guns cleaned and lubed but I feel better doing so.