New sp101

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mikestripe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. mikestripe

mikestripe plinker

Hello everyone, 1st post here, just purchased a new sp101 with a 3 inch barrel, I have a GP100 that I love, I also have a couple Ruger 22's, going to shoot the SP101 today, ordered a set of Hogue monogrips for it from my LGS where I bought it.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction!
    I have moved this thread to the introduction section so our wonderful members can welcome you properly.
    Pictures!!!! We love pictures!!! ;)
    Jump in and enjoy our wonderful forum. :)

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Is it a .38 or .357?

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Welcome....................................you'll like it after it smoothes out a bit,

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome to RugerTalk from the Texas Gulf Coast.

SP101's are fine little shooters. We always like to get range reports.
    We've had an SP101 in the family but not a GP100......yet.

I also have a couple of Ruger .22's, a Single Six I've had for a few decades and a fairly new 10/22 with a Vortex scope and Clark trigger & hammer.
    I traded a Remington .22 for the new in box 10/22. He got a collectible Remington and I got a new Ruger. A win for both of us.

6. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Get the Wolff spring kit for it too. Turns it into a velvet pillow.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The SP101 is a very good gun. It is lighter than its cousin the GP100 yet still built tough for reliability. It is easier to CC than the GP100 IMO.

9. Chup

Chup New Member

I like the SP101. Mine is a 2" DAO with XS Standard DOT Sight and Hogue Grip.

Attached Files:

10. mikestripe

mikestripe plinker

Sp101

Gun is a good shooter, the Hogue made a big difference in the feel of the gun, ordered a set of Wolf springs today, I think I will go with the 8# trigger spring and the 10# mainspring, think that is a good combo, was hitting a 10 inch steel plate at 40 yards , not bad for my 60 year old eyes.

11. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

If you're doing that, your in the very good. I went with the 9# hammer spring and the 8# trigger spring. No worries about light strikes. Some internal polishing really smoothed up the trigger pull.

12. Scortch500

Scortch500 New Member

Hi I am new also. I am from Minnesota.
    (Going to Mesa, AZ this winter...if you lived in MN in our winters, you would know why!)

The SP 101 with the 3" barrel is an awesome revolver. I struggled initially choosing between the SP101 snubby and the 3" but finally settled with the the larger barrel. I seemed better balanced, easier to shoot with less perceived recoil. Love it at the range, going to consider it for CCW once I am more comfortable handling it- I am accustomed carrying Glocks. Stay in touch and let us know if its growing on you!

13. buster40c

Scortch500 it is customary for newcomers to use the Introduction section to introduce themselves to the forum members. I believe your experience here will be more enjoyable by doing so. This is the intro section so just start your own intro thread here.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Buster
    Mikestripe that sounds like you are a shooter for sure. You do a little trigger work and you are going to really love the gun.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  14. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

15. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have a 4" barrel on my purchase list, but the 2" is just fine for now.

Attached Files:

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Scorth,
    Welcome from the sizzling Valley of the Sun, Az. I also live in Mesa and have so for the last 13 or so years. I hope you are ready for the heat because it does get toasty here. This last summer we had 23 days where the temp ran over 110 degrees. You can dress for the cold but not for the heat. I hope you have done your homework well and can find a nice area in Mesa. We are spread out over a 30 mile radius and some areas are real nice and some no so nice. Anyway, welcome to the forum and welcome to Mesa, Az.

Tommy

17. buster40c

You might be surprised how shedding all clothes except the undies makes the heat much more bearable. OOPS on the pun. Get naked and be cool. It's the "in" thing these days. It does make concealing a gun more difficult.