New SP101 SS .357 Mag

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by nickndfl, Aug 11, 2015.

1. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I put in a bid on GB and won a new SP101 for $420. Did I do alright? Was looking for a range tool and this would be my first revolver among 10 semis.

Attached Files:

2. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

You did ok................if it's like most SP's, you'll like it........................if you want to replace the trigger and hammer springs, and do a bit of polishing, it will be a sweet shooter. Trigger work makes them a great shooter.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the nice Ruger wheelgun.

Good price.
    Thats is a nice gun, Im sure you will enjoy.

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Heck yes you got a deal on a really nice gun.
    You want to have a real experience have someone load the cylinder staggered with 38 spl and 357 magnums. Hang on buddy! You will think you have bought two guns and one you will think is a hand cannon. I am pretty sure you will be changing out the grips in a very short time. Good thing that gun is built to take on a beating and still keep on firing.
    Congrats on your winning bid.

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

What kind of aftermarket grips are popular? I didn't think I was going to win with the bid, but now it's interesting. A new gun is always.

6. buster40c

I put Hogue Tamers on my SP101 and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.

7. berettabone

Badger makes some fine grips...................

8. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Looks great. Nice score!

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Is the Wolf spring kit with the $ and effort?

10. berettabone

I changed the hammer spring down to 9#, and the trigger spring to 8# in my wife's. Shims, polish, and you have one smooth trigger.............but not a dangerous trigger. The da pull is nice, it's the single action pull that's very light. Because of that work, my wife shoots it better than me...........which is fine with me. My wife is no expert with a revolver, but shooting at a 10" target for the first time, from 25 yds., she was hitting the black. To me that's pretty good for such a short firearm. Happy wife, happy life........................................................IMHO it's definitely worth smoothing it up..............it becomes so much more accurate.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

My wife had one just like yours. I loaded wad-cutters in .357 cases for practice. She carried it with .38 SPL 125 gr HP+P factory ammo.
    I liked the original grips. They fit my hand well and magnum loads were not too bad really.
    The D/A trigger pull got to be too much for her so we sold it. Never thought to change springs and such.

You'll like that gun, it's a good solid reliable shooter. And the price was right. You did good.

12. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I ordered a Hogue grip and a Wolff Spring kit.

Where do you obtain a shim kit?

13. berettabone

Just punch up shim kit for SP101 on the interweb..............................the springs are relatively easy to replace, the trigger one is a bit tricky. The shims on the other hand, are more difficult if you've never done it. I chose to change the springs myself, then handed it off to a gunsmith who did the polishing and shim work...............then soaked in slick 2000.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. buster40c

Unless you have some experience in polishing/ filing I agree with having a smith do the job. A little to much means way to much. Just like a board cut to short will not fit.
    A smith might even have the shims in stock. Ask your LGS if he knows of a good local smith.
    I called a smith near me and he said he does do trigger work at cost of $75 + parts.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. berettabone

I think people give up a bit soon on the SP101....................................they're a bit rough from the factory, but you can make them very nice for under $100. The wife loves the thing, and for such a small firearm, it's pretty accurate. She likes the standard grips, and so do I.............the hardest part of shimming, is getting the shims to stay where you need them to stay...........usually means a bit of grease, to keep them in place when reassembling. We keep 38+ p's in it, but .357 really aren't that bad................

16. buster40c

My SP101 was a .327 mag version and after only three shots with 327 mag I put the gun away and ordered the Hogue grips. My fingers felt like I a chain had been slapped over them. Maybe it was just my old hand couldn't take it but I was sure glad I got the Hogue grips. Maybe the 357 mag SP101 isn't as bad as the 327 mag but I heard the 357 was even more stout recoil than the 327. Maybe I am just a wussy. I have to admit I am not a youngster anymore and my hands aren't strong like they used to be.
    A guy came to buy one of my guns and he asked if I had any revolvers for sale. I hadn't at the time thought about selling the SP101 but I showed it to him. He wanted it at my price so I sold it.

17. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Picked it up today. This might be my new favorite pistol. Fine precision craftsmanship and made in USA like me. I ordered the spring kit and Hogue grip, but might not need the grip because I have big hands. We'll see.

Attached Files:

18. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

VZ makes nice G10 grips for it too....

19. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The bottom line:

1. Tools for the job include a small slot screwdriver and a small punch like a Glock tool.

2. Swapped in a 9# reduced power hammer spring.
    3. Polished hammer strut which is what the spring rides on.

4. Swapped in an 8# trigger return spring.

Plenty of videos on YouTube for the procedure. If you have worked on firearms before it's no more than intermediate. Job was not difficult as I have the latest model with no side plates. Just remove the grip and knockout one roll pin.

Removing and reinstalling the trigger on a brand new pistol will need some brute strength because the tolerances are so tight. Cylinder goes back on before reinstalling the trigger. If you do press the trigger while it is out of the pistol it is not as big of deal as it is made out in videos. There are two small springs with chrome head caps. Very intuitive and relatively simple if you have a Glock tool, although the Ruger lock work made me appreciate the philosophy behind Glock simplicity.

There are also a couple of tight areas such as the spring pin at the back of the trigger housing on reinstall and the cylinder release button. You will know what I am talking about if you ever make an attempt. The trigger bars can really only go back one way too.

The springs themselves will change the personality of the gun from a heavy frame to a light frame. Taking a few pounds off the trigger makes it feel like a well broken-in .38 special snubnose. There is noticeably less resistance in the trigger. Yes, it is worth the effort.

The funny thing is it took around five times to test the springs and customize it the way I wanted. The first time it took 20 minutes initially to study and by the final time I only needed about a minute to change both springs and get the grip back on. Reminded me of the scene in the movie, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly when Clint Eastwood was cleaning his revolver. He heard footsteps of assassins outside of his hotel door and in seconds got the gun back together and loaded in time to dispatch those at the front. Tuco surprised him through the window however.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
  20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Funny you mention that movie.
    I went to a midnight show to see it last Saturday. I saw the whole movie years ago but forgot how long it was. THREE HOURS!
    I've seen parts of it on TV but haven't watched it start to finish again till Saturday.
    I noticed they sometimes had front stuffer revolvers and cartridges on their belts. I didn't know the difference the 1st time I watched it.

Back to topic, congrats on improving an already good revolver. Let us know how it performs after a range session.