Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm for one of my AR's. I won't get to get it sighted in until Friday, but man is it clear glass. I was worried about the FSP and the lower magnification, I'm not much for a lot of magnification on rifles, but some is fine.

The FSP, even at 1.5 power, is in the lower third of the scope, and is barely visible. It does not run up into the center of the reticle at all, and when I go to 2 power or higher, I can't even see it at all.

I will let you all know how it goes by next weekend.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took this particular rifle to the range this morning, and I love this scope. I did a 50 yard zero for this AR, and the glass is super clear. Very happy with this optic.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Miy Bueno compadre!!!!!!! I have been too cheap to put good glass on any of mine. I have 3x9X40 Simmons on 2 carbines and a 3X9x50 Simmons on my old SP1 rifle. They were adequate when I could see well, but leave something to be desired now that I have glaucoma.

I do have a 3x9X32 Nikon that I took off a deer rifle in storage. Maybe I should put it on .300 Blakout carbine. It is a lot more clar than the Simmons. I would like to use on of the low magnification scope like you have, but it limits what I can see. I tried one last year. My eyesight is so bad now that iron sights are useless to me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miy Bueno compadre!!!!!!! I have been too cheap to put good glass on any of mine. I have 3x9X40 Simmons on 2 carbines and a 3X9x50 Simmons on my old SP1 rifle. They were adequate when I could see well, but leave something to be desired now that I have glaucoma.

I do have a 3x9X32 Nikon that I took off a deer rifle in storage. Maybe I should put it on .300 Blakout carbine. It is a lot more clar than the Simmons. I would like to use on of the low magnification scope like you have, but it limits what I can see. I tried one last year. My eyesight is so bad now that iron sights are useless to me.
Well, don't know how old you are now, but I'm 53. I am farsighted, and can still read a 20/20 line on an eye chart, but have to use "cheaters" to see things up close.

With irons, on rifles and not handguns, the rear sight is fuzzy, but the front sight is clear, so I guess I'm still pretty lucky. I am sure that someday, this will not be the case.

Nothing at all wrong with Nikon scopes, they are quality glass and have always had good luck with them as well. I liked this Leupold due to the smaller size and lower magnification. I was going to red dot this rifle, but wanted something on it that would get me from the 150-300 yard range, on human size targets.

I had a Bushnell 25mm red dot on one once, and it was good in that way, out to about 150 yards or so, but beyond that it was not so good. This scope, at 1.5x, is quick, even as close as 25 yards, but also helped me ring the 16" steel plate at 300 yards, when quickly rotated to 4x. This is what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Well, I am 65 and legally blind. Can't drive anymore, well safely anyway. Mosst of what I type on here is by fell of the keyboard. I have it magnified already and have to use an extra magnifying glass to get enough focus to chck my mistakes.

Only the right eye is really of much use, so I still can punch paper with a rifle at limited distances. Usually it's under 15fo yards or so. Getting to the point where I can't see the big wide sights on my handguns anymore. Forget the3 dots on them. They just ain't there.

Retinopathy from diabetes. They can't fix damaged optic nerves. That's the worst of it along with the usual eye problems of cataracts ec. Have had a tissue implant in the left eye to regenerate tissue. That was in 20013. Almost lost the eye. Don't have much in it now. They may have to go to a cornea transplant sometime in the future.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy crap man, sorry to hear that! I am lucky that good eyes run in the family, not so much hearing though. From all the loud crap I heard years ago in the Marines, and from being a machinist for the last 25 years, my hearing has taken a beating. I use hearing protection for everything, even while cutting the lawn, but like right now, I have constant "ringing" in both my ears.

I think the biggest detriment to my hearing happened when in the service with a mine, ever since then, my hearing has been FUBAR. Oh well, I consider myself lucky though...it could have been worse. Plus, I would have a harder time dealing with losing my eyesight, versus losing my hearing.

Hang in there man and keep your powder dry. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts