Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my MK IV today and did some shooting after giving it a good cleaning first. I shot three different makes of ammo.
Remington Thunderbolt high velocity lead 40gr round nose.
Aguila .22 super extra standard velocity 40gr lead round nose.
Winchester 22lr 36gr copper plated HP

The WC shot the best grouping and no feed or firing problems.
The Thunderbolts shot okay with no jams or ftf.
The Aguilas had 3 fail to feed and dented the casings. Grouping was okay.

The gun trigger is smooth, not really a light pull though not bad either. The break is crisp and smooth. Reset was no problem for rapid firing. Recoil is minimal and no problem staying on target for quick follow up shooting.

Field stripping for cleaning is a piece of cake. Make sure gun mag and chamber are empty. Rack the slide and put safety on. Drop the magazine which flies out when mag release is pressed. Hold the gun by the barrel and push release button on back of the slide. The barrel and slide pops up and then just lift the slide off. Reinstalling is just as easy.

The MK IV costs around $30 more than the S&W Victory 22 but it IMO is way better made than the Victory. I had checked on selling the Victory on consignment at my LGS and he didn't seem to want to sell it. I think I found the reason why today when I picked up my MK. He asked if I knew the Victory had plastic parts in the trigger assembly. I don't think he wants to sell a possible problem gun due to plastic parts. Besides the barrel coming loose problem it has plastic parts in it. I have the Victory on Armslist for sale.

I am going to compare the MK II with this MK IV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
That's a beauty there, Buster!

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Now that's a real nice pistol buster. :Cooltu: Congrats.

I wanted to get the earlier model (MK II or MK III) with the 5.5" bull barrel but when I fired one the bottom of the trigger kinda pinched (or maybe call it feels sharp) against my finger.
I think it's just me cause the owner said he never felt that.

I injured my shooting hand years ago so fitting a gun to my hand can be tricky sometimes.

When you compare the MK IV to the MK II please report if the trigger feels like it is located (or positioned / shaped) the same on both models.
Thanks and Congrats Again.

:GadsdenFlag:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats n the new pistol,

I am a MK fan also,
Personally I wouldn't trade my MKII for 2 Victory 's.

Good grab, now you just gotta dump the other one.

Ji

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,

Let us know how you like the Mark IV. I have been looking for a good used Mark II however I hate to part with the money. We have an LGS over here and I took some guns over to see if I could trade. I don't think he likes me anymore cuz after he gave me the prices, I told him that at least when Jesse James robbed you he had the decency to stick a gun to your head. Pawn shops here want more than the dealers want.

Tommy

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Awesome Score Buster... !!

I was gonna buy a S&W22 Victory @ the new Gander Mountain by me...$350...

( Liked the fact the Volquartsen has carbon fiber threaded barrels for it: https://www.volquartsen.com/)...

Until I had a guy next to me tell me his barrel kept shooting loose...I walked away from the sale...the counter guy at GM understood, saying he didn't blame me.

Looks like the Ruger Mark IV will be my next purchase...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ruger has three models of the MK IV. This target model the grip frame is aluminum while the other two models are SS and with different front sights. The barrels are also different. The other models cost $100 to $200 more also. I like the model I got but someone else might want the added features.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I believe the Target comes in two models. Mine is the blued and aluminum frame. The other Target is stainless grip and barrel. The Hunter is SS with wood grip panels and high vision front sight that color can be changed out. It also has a 6.9 fluted barrel versus the 5.5" Target barrel.

The MK II magazines will not fit the MK III or the MK IV because of the magazines for them have the notch for magazine lock up which the MK II doesn't have.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rugers-launching-new-mark-iv-pistols/

From prices I am seeing on the net I got a darn good price on mine.

I shot both the MK II and the MK IV today and they shoot basically the same. The triggers are comparable. I didn't have any finger pinch from either gun. Basically from 10 yards I can keep most shots in a head size target.

The dang Aguila rounds kept jamming the first three rounds in both guns and with all magazines. The Thunderbolt made the Aguila look like crap. I guess I will save the Aguila for my revolvers.
The Aguila was about $20 more than the other ammo also. Isn't worth the extra money at all.

The MK II looks really good for being almost 40 years old doesn't it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
That's strange. I see Aguila selling cheaper than the US stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mk IVs are fine pistols. I paid almost $200 more for my Hunter than I did for my Victory and, after holding it, understand why. Wish they didn't make the mag eject button so high, left handers have issues with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts