Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, Ruger is essentially withdrawing from the semi-auto pistol market in California. For reasons unknown this affects even the Mark pistols. The guns will unavailable in a matter of weeks, so I scarfed up the last Mark pistol that I will be able to purchase (new) for years -- until certain court cases hopefully are resolved in favor of freedom.

I have not yet had the chance to get the pistol to the range. I field stripped the pistol last night and gently lubed it. The gun was tight like all Mark IIIs, but with the rubber mallet and dowel it was no sweat stripping and re-assembling it. As we all know, there is a definite learning curve to stripping these pistols. I can do it in my sleep now, but it was not always thus.

Here is my new beautiful Mark III Competition:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beautiful gun.....I've been kicking around which MK III I'm buying next and that model is right at the top of the list.:D

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
That is a great looking pstol and a great shooting pistol.

My friend has one, and its very high on my wish list.

Congrats.

Jim

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats.....good looking gun. Get a chance give us a range report....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would you recommend it? I've been looking to replace an old Beretta .22 target pistol for a while now. At the moment, I've been thinking of the SR 22 pistol, but that gun looks awesome!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Would you recommend it? I've been looking to replace an old Beretta .22 target pistol for a while now. At the moment, I've been thinking of the SR 22 pistol, but that gun looks awesome!
Yes, I would recommend any of the Mark IIIs -- I have all of the Target, Hunter, and now the Competition. All of them are tack-drivers and very reliable.

Don't let the naysayers worry you about the disassembly/reassembly. Once you get the hang of it, no sweat.

Folks, I got the Mark III Competition to the range yesterday, and put a LOT of rounds through it. Range Report in that section of this forum, if you are interested. A bit of a torture test, as I shot 100 Thunderbolts, which are quite dirty and cloggy, although they otherwise function fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, 100 Thunderbolts is pretty amazing!
Yes, the T-Bolts really fouled up the chamber. It was easy to clean once I got the gun home; no big deal. But they fouled the chamber unlike any other rounds I've ever shot. Until the chamber was fouled they shot fine, by the way.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Great report......

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm sorta partial to the Ruger "slab-sides" also. Here's a Mark II and a Mark III Competition Target and a blued Ruger Mark II Target slab-side in 5-1/2 inch. Fun shooting guns, for sure.

Really like that Competition model....All look good.

Tell us about the optics.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those interested on Red Dot Sights on Mark pistols, here is mine. Using the Aimpoint H-1 which is absolutely heaven on the Mark III.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those interested on Red Dot Sights on Mark pistols, here is mine. Using the Aimpoint H-1 which is absolutely heaven on the Mark III.

I decided to buy a Mk III Hunter and wouldn't you know couldn't find a new one in stock anywhere in Houston......Then I spotted a used one at Carter's Country. 2009 model form the paper work. It is like new and not a scratch or mark on it. I'm very please and save $120 from current prices.

Looks pretty much like the one in the pic w/o the red dot.

Sure are beautiful guns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to buy a Mk III Hunter and wouldn't you know couldn't find a new one in stock anywhere in Houston......Then I spotted a used one at Carter's Country. 2009 model form the paper work. It is like new and not a scratch or mark on it. I'm very please and save $120 from current prices.

Looks pretty much like the one in the pic w/o the red dot.

Sure are beautiful guns.
I have had great luck with "gently used" Ruger Marks. That gun will last your family many generations. Feel free to post pictures!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I am the proud owner of a Ruger Mark II slabside. She is one sweet shooting pistol. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Hey SGWGunsmith......would be very interested in your results on the different 22 ammo......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts