Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all my recent purchases and trades recently, I think my two favorite are the Ruger LCRX revolvers. The LCRX-3 in 38 special was my first purchase in my quest for Ruger handguns, the LCRX-3 in 22 long rifle was my last.

The 22 version I can see as being my most carried in the near future. The perfect kit gun. The 38 special is the perfect working gun. At less than 1 pound, they are a joy to carry. Ruger could not have done any better.......or could they?

I want another LCRX-3 I think. This one chambered in 327 Federal Magnum. I know, Ruger doesn't make one. But they do make a LCR in 327 Federal. How hard would it be to make one with a hammer and longer barrel.

The 327 Federal Magnum pushes a 100 grain soft point jacketed bullet out of a 4 inch barrel at an advertised velocity of 1500 fps. The same bullet exits the LCR's 1.87 inch barrel at just over 1300 fps. Conventional wisdom says the same bullet would exit the 3 inch barrel at 1400 fps. That ain't no slouch! I think it would make a better trail gun than the 38 special version.

Full power loads would be the ticket for any critters smaller than a deer. The Lee TL314-90-SWC loaded to velocities between the 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum would be a good small game load.

One more advantage would be the 6 round cylinder. The 6th round might not be needed, but it sure ain't going to hurt.

Let's see, better ballistics than the 38 special, an extra round, at the expense of a few ounces more weight, and a bit more blast and recoil. That's the way I see it anyway.

Yep Ruger, you messed up! My granddaughter once said when she was told you have got to have paitence. "I've got patience, I just don't use it!" Well Ruger, I believe you have the perfect platform for the 327 Federal Magnum. You just are not using it!

( This is the point where I would Photoshop an image of a LCR Clyinder into a LCRX-3 frame, if I just knew how to Photoshop! )

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't find many real-world reports online about the LCRX .22LR. There are some "professional" reviews that trash the trigger, writing in such hyperbole as to make it seem un-useable. Is the trigger really that heavy? Does it lighten up after use? If it's not enjoyable to shoot in DA, I won't bother buying one. But it's hard to tell without dropping the cash for myself first.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Someone, maybe Jim or Buster or both, have pointed out that rimfire revolvers need stronger mainsprings in order to pop the caps. Consequently, the trigger pull in DA is stiffer. If that information is wrong, blame Jim or Buster or both.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, they have heavy triggers. Like noted above, this is to ensure they have enough oomph to set off the primers. The trigger on the LCRX 22 is noticeably heavier than the 38 Special version. My trigger pull gauge tops at 10 pounds. The trigger pull on the LCRX is heavier than that in DA mode, about 6 1/2 pounds in the SA mode.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm aware of the need, but one review claimed it was 18#, and others claim it's too heavy for some users to pull at all. The lightest .22 revo trigger I've read about is the discontinued Rossi Plinker, at 9 or 10#. My GP100 .22 is heavy but smooth and bearable, while the SP101 is said to have an absurdly heavy trigger, over 12#. I've dry fired the Charter Pathfinder .22 and it's a lighter trigger than most, lighter than S&W's .22 revos.

I have a Bersa Thunder 22 DA/SA whose DA pull is smooth an fairly light, and the gun weighs about 1oz more than the LCRx3 .22. It's a joy to shoot but very unreliable.

So I'm just looking to see where the Ruger falls, in this spectrum. The LGS hasn't had one I can dry fire yet. I did rent an LCR 22 snubbie and found I couldn't shoot it accurately probably due to the lightness of the gun, short sight radius, and heavy trigger. But having shot the .38 LCR and .38 LCRx 3", I thought the 3" barrel and longer grip transformed it from a working defense tool into a fun and accurate shooter. So I hope a similar transformation happens with the .22.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I'm happy with the LCRX-22. The DA trigger is very smooth. The DA pull dosent really bother me as I will most always use this as a SA anyway. I'll describe the trigger like you do the GP100-22. Heavy but smooth and bearable.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
22 single actions minimize the rimfire penalty. My Single Six has a nice trigger pull. It's had a few rounds through it though (the ser. no. puts it in the second batch of New Model Single Sixes made), so the action is pretty darn smooth now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with the Single Sixes. I have a Single Six Convertable and a Bearcat. The LCRX is just so light and easy to tote. Of course the Bearcat is easy toting too.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I was at an LGS and they had a LCR22 and I asked if I could dry fire it. I wanted to see if the trigger was as noticeably heavy. While it was a tad heavier than my LCR357 it really IMO wasn't that heavy as I expected from reports about it. To each his own I guess.
I don't think I would carry the LCR22 for CC SD gun and I have more than enough 22lr handguns in the safe so I will pass buying one of these. I just don't see myself using it much since it IMO is made for a pocket gun rather than a range or plinker gun.
But again I say to each his own and have at what you want.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 3" LCR is nearly GP100-size when you compare them, the weight is the main difference. I think I want it as a basic plinker. I don't see why it wouldn't serve for that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If Ruger gets enough requests they will chamber the LCRx in 327 Magnum. I use to pester them at trade shows begging for an LCR in 327 and they listened. Why this chambering isn't more popular is strange since it si so versatile. I own 3 different Rugers and one S&W in 327 Magnum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts