New Ruger 327 Magnum

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by mag318, Mar 27, 2015.

1. mag318

mag318 Member

Next week Ruger will announce a new SP101 chambered in 327 Magnum. I saw a photo of one this afternoon and it sports a full lug 4.2" barrel with adjustable sights. The revolver is 6 shot, and I predict will be a hot seller.

2. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Wouldn't get too excited about the "hot seller" part. Remember, this is round #2 for this cartridge in this platform. The first one kinda fizzled and it's not exactly setting records in other platforms. In a market where consumers think bigger is best, the lonely .32's get overshadowed and passed by.
    I like the idea as it would make a very nice little woods carry.

3. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

I'm confused, is this an old post? .327 mag a hot seller, nah, I'm the only one that shoots that stuff, Federal makes it for me.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Is this an old post? I think Ruger quit making the 327 SP101. I had bought an SP101 327 back in 2011 I think it was. Before buying this I would buy an SP101 357 as the 38 special and 357 ammo is cheaper than the 327 or 32 cal. I sold the SP101 and later bought an old Colt Police Special to shoot the left over 32 cal ammo I had left over. The SP101 in 327 with stock grips was a hand punisher for sure. I changed to Hogue grips and then it wasn't bad to shoot. I bet in 357 it will be a handful also.

5. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

the Single Seven is heavier than the SP101, so it settles down the recoil.. the(.327 mag) 85gr. Federal is manageable, the 100gr. Federal is definetly a magnun. haven't shot the 115gr. from Speer. also, I haven't been able to find a 50 round box of H&R mags for plinking. the Fiocchi 97gr. 32. S&W longs are about perfect for shooting all day.
    (S&W in their great wisdom build a model 632, must have made a couple a dozen of them. sometimes you see them overpriced on gunbroker.)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57895_757775_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y )

6. mag318

mag318 Member

Rugers old SP101s in 327 Magnum bring a premium on auction sites and many shooters have been imploring Ruger to bring it back. After the success of the Single Seven they apparently decided to give the 327 Magnum chambered SP101 another chance. Hence the official announcement to come tomorrow. Lispeys already is showing the new revolver on their website and this will be a big seller IMO, we'll see.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  7. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

mag318,
    wow! your correct. Ruger is reinventing the .327. dang, wow! http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html and it's a 6 shot! now are they going to come out with the LCRx 3" in .327? would you shoot 100gr. .327mags in a 16 oz. gun? think I'll stick to the SP101, or the trusty Single Seven. thanks for starting this thread-- no telling what the great minds at Ruger are up to.

8. mag318

mag318 Member

I ordered one today as my dealer is getting several, if it shoots as good as my S&W 632 I'll be very happy. Everyone I know who has a revolver in this calibre loves it. I'll post a range report as soon as I get it, I think this will be a winner.

9. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

if ya don't need that off brand 632 anymore, I might be interested.

10. buster40c

This is surprising Ruger is bringing the 327 back. I think the cost of ammo might have been a factor as to why the 327 went by the wayside before. Taurus made a 327 that was short lived also. I wonder if how harsh the recoil was had a factor in why it didn't sell that well before? With the stock grips that gun about pulverized my hand when shooting the 327 mags. I really believe the old 357 will still be king though. Maybe the new Ruger 327 gun now being a six shot it will be a better seller.

11. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

hehehehe, your shooting a SR40C and think the .327mag is snappy? I shoot magnums like my grandpa taught me-- stand sideways to the target, arm straight out, death grip on the gun, let 'er rip, hand and locked wrist tranfer the recoil down the forearm, elbow works as the gun rises, bicep is working, no pretense of staying on target for tactical 2nd shot, with a magnum your just trying to get rid of the shot fired. for that tactical 2 hand stuff I move down to 38spl, 9mm or .32acp (shoot all of those all day long). if I was shooting Federal 100 gr. or Buffalo Bore out of the Single Seven all the time I'd get some big rubber grips. anybody shooting a gun chambered in .327mag should try at least one box of 97gr. S&W longs, they're sweet.

(hmmph! I still haven't got a PM with the going out of business sale price on that old S&W 632.)

gesystem likes this.
  12. buster40c

My SR40C is no comparison in recoil compared to the SP101 327 when shooting mags. The added Hogue grips did make a huge difference in recoil feel. I need try your side stance with stiff arm while shooting my LCR357. That gun is a handful in 357 also. Thanks for the shooting stance tip and I am going to try it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

the sideways, one hand stance is from the military when they had horses, shooting with one hand, holding the reins with the other(good horse that would stand there in a gunfight). standing sideways was thought to reduce your target size. I like it, with just a little elbow bent a little, the gun recoils up and then during the recovery you take a breath, cock the hammer and come back down on the target for the next shot. sounds slow, but how fast are you going to shoot magnums. watch fortunecookie45lc-- [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWPVjGpL0A[/ame] the man makes some good shooting videos.

14. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I had the Taurus model 327 mag and really enjoyed it. I will definitely put this high up on my want list. Great woods gun

15. mag318

mag318 Member

The SP101s in 327 Magnum were on display at the recent NRA annual meetings in Nashville. A few days later they're showing up in shops, my dealer got in a couple today.

16. Yoda

Yoda New Member

Just Bought One

I picked up a new .327 Federal Mag at the local gun store yesterday. It was the only one they had in stock. I'm going to the range today to try it out with 100 American Eagle 100 gr JSP rounds. I'll post a range report when I get back.:)

17. Yoda

Yoda New Member

Range Report

I fired my new .327 Federal Mag today, shooting 50 rounds of Magnum loads and 50 rounds of 32 H&R Mag Cowboy loads. To say the least, the difference was striking! The Mag loads felt very similar to a .357 Mag in my Security Six. May have been a little lighter in felt recoil, but not much. Of course this is on the lighter SP101 frame instead of the heavier Gp100 frame. In any event, I didn't find the recoil to be objectionable. I did find that if I gripped the pistol with my finger touching the trigger guard, the recoil resulted in the pistol striking my finger, causing some level of discomfort. I changed my grip a little to lower my grip on the butt, with my little finger at the very bottom of the grip. I found that this felt very good, and I was able to hold a very acceptable group at 16 yards.

When I switched to my Cowboy loads for the 32 H&R Mag, the recoil was very pleasant. I was also able to hold the same type of group at 16 yards.

I will plan on shooting the 32 H&R Mag rounds for fun, and the .327 rounds will be reserved for defensive purposes.

All in all, I would say that Ruger has once again come through with an outstanding firearm.:D

18. buster40c

It is a very nice gun. I know what you mean the difference between 32 and 327 striking. LOL it is like you shot a totally different gun. The 32 you can shoot all day but I sure wouldn't do that with the 327 mags. I put Hogue grips on mine and it made a world of difference in felt recoil shooting 327 mags. My 327 sp101 was the earlier version back in 2011.

19. mag318

mag318 Member

My 1'st ange session with the new Ruger SP101 I shot 100 rounds of 327 Mags with no discomfort at all. I did replace the factory grips with Hogues though. The SP101 is a great companion piece to my Single Seven.

Attached Files:

20. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

So, how many different .32 Cal cartridges can you shoot in the 327 Mag?

Is it all of the rimed .32 Cal ammo currently available?