new ruger 10/22 misfires consistently

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by draper, Mar 25, 2014.

1. draper

draper New Member

hi. no stove piping. empty casing ejects fine. properly ignited casing have the indentation from the fireing pin on the rim. misfires...casings have a small flattening at the very edge of the rim, barely noticeable. I cant get 3 straight to properly fire from clip. ive exchanged clips, and ive went through a dozen different brands of NON bulk ammo. ive fired over 400 rounds. gun is well cleaned and oiled. excess oil wiped down.
    can anyone diagnose problem. my guess is the bolt. when I slowly extrude after misfire, sometimes the bullet is in the chamber, sometimes its pulled out attached to bolt, sometimes its half in chamber (I suspect the bolt is just letting go of it as I pull out). my guess is firing pin or inability of bolt to properly chamber? maybe its the clip release and theirs a bit of play. as for the firing pin, it seems to strike to low when it misfires. when taking the bolt out of rifle, I can move the pin up and down by pressing on top. should it be springy. mine seems to stick up and the I push it and it snaps down. spring? im from Canada and unfortunately I have to send it to an independent in Quebec and they are telling me to kiss my firearm good by for 8 months (repair). any help would be appreciated. I seem to be getting the same answers....ammo, dirty....break in....etc. thanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Welcome to the group
    Sorry can't help you only problem I had was the bulk ammo get a bad round once in awhile

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

3. 00b5

00b5 Member

When in doubt, call the factory!

4. redmist3455

redmist3455 New Member

I use bulk ammo, thunderbolts, and all kinds of different cartridges people say are bad, but I never have any problems. I've put over 600 rounds of Remington thunderbolts in just one trip to the range. I don't ever attribute a problem to the cartridge, unless I can, without a doubt, tell that it's the cartridge. And I've had just as many problems with bulk ammo as I have with CCI mini mag.

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Barring bad ammo.

Try this.

Load the chamber, drop the mag, turn the rifle upside down and look to see if there is a space to allow the bullet to move at all while chambered. If it can jiggle in there than the bolt or the reciever is out of spec, and will have to go back to Ruger for replacement, but I'm unsure how that would work with you bing in Canada.

If the bullet is firmly seated the issue is with the firing pin, hammer or hammer spring. If you can get parts shipped to you it will probably much cheaper to buy a new firing pin, return spring, hammer and hammer spring to install yourself than to pay for a smith to diagnose and fix it(not hard to do and plenty of youtube vids to help).

It could be a few other things like a bur on the bolt inside the firing pin channel, but if the pin is moving freely that is probably not the case either.

6. draper

draper New Member

thanks so much. I was hoping for some detailed specific advice and you gave it to me. bullet is properly chambered, no movement. when bolt is out the pin can move up and done but it gets stuck at top and I have to push other side and it springs downward...does that trigger anything in your mind.

again thanks, it sounds like you know what your talking about and someone out their searching out same symptons is sure to be helped by your post. thank you again

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

without seeing pics, it sounds like you have something slightly bent, dinged, or a bur on the pin or the pin channel. I would suggest taking the firing pin out, give it a good check for anything that looks like rub marks, gouges, or a bur.

8. draper

draper New Member

I appreciate the good advise. ive sent it away for repair to a ruger approved facility in Canada and expect it back in only 10 days. ill post what the problem was when I get it back. thanks everyone.