New reloading press available

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by greg_r, May 10, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Thinking about selling my RCBS Jr presses and buying another single stage press. Was in the process of ordering the Lee Classic Cast single stage when I noticed a press I had never seen before.

It's called the Marksman and it is being offered by MEC. It's what I will call a modified "O" press. The way it's designed it has almost unlimited hand clearance. It also has a feature that allows the shell holder to line up with the dies to minimize run out. Kind of reminds me of the Forster Co-Ax, except the shell holder is free to move and not the dies.

I don't really like the spent primer collection system. It's a tray that fits under the press. A system that would require a modification to my bench if i were to mount it directly to it. There is a solution though. A riser that the press mounts to. It looks to raise the press 5 or 6 inches. Everything would then mount above the bench.

I like the press, I think. Trying to read what reviews I can. Not a lot out there. The press is about $70 more than the Lee Classic Cast single stage. $175 vs $105. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the difference in price. I figure I will get $60 to $80 for each of my RCBS presses. I have two of them.

Attached Files:

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Nobody hang ideas!

It's pretty new on the market. Looking for reviews, not much but there except for unboxing type reviews. Guess it just has not been on the market long enough.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

It looks good, but I don't see any use for any press bigger than a RCBS Partner. But then again I don't mess with magnums either.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The Pardner press is a very good entry level press. It is a lightweight press though and not a press for much case forming, which is what I want the new press for. I probably should've mentioned that in my original post.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

It looks like it should be a good strong press and MEC has a history of quality products (I've been told).

I use an old Lyman Orange Crusher for reforming 30-06 to 25-06, along with everything else I load.
    Reforming to 25-06 doesn't take a lot of force but it is a good solid press and has lasted well.

If you decide on the Marksman let us know what you think of it.

:usa:

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to pass on the MEC Marksman. I found the Lee Classic Cast for $91 and added the Hornady Lock N Load conversion kit for $19. I went that route.

7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I haven't seen this press anywhere to examine yet. MEC is an established company. I would definitely stay away from Hornady equiptment............not a fan of their stuff at all!

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Orange Crusher, eh?, That sort of confirms the brand of turret press I had in my former (1970s) reloading life.

BTW Paul, the Hornady single stage press I have, is a good one; pretty much a somewhat smaller version of my Rock Chucker. Not quite as much leverage for resizing the big stuff. I've been saving it as a backup.

Hmm!? A backup for a Rock Chucker? Hah.

9. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Hornady dies suck!

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:) Could be, by me. Mine are all RCBS and Lee, except for Lyman M-dies and one set (270 neck sizing) by Redding.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That press seems almost like my old Herter's single stage press although mine is a C style. Herter's used to make an O style press years ago. With my press all you do is change the dies and I used RCBS and Lyman's. Very old fashioned style but it works good. My press was built in the 1950's. Still use it on a daily basis. Primer collection is a 5 gal. bucket under the press.

Tommy

12. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Under my big old Pacific Super Deluxe I have a cardboard box...low tech works too !

13. noylj

noylj New Member

Single stage press:
    What does it do that other presses don't?
    If I was looking for a single-stage press, I want:
    a) die bushing or inexpensive tool head
    b) drop tube to waste basket or to collection bottle for spent primers.
    This is because the, what was then free, Lee Reloading Press (little C-frame) loaded .30-06 ammo just as accurate as the Co-Ax, but required more arm strength, so I have no reason to believe the press contributes much to accuracy.
    For me, for the last 40 years, my single stage press has been the Co-Ax. Dies slip in so there is no die bushings (and no die adjusting) or tool heads to buy and the shell plate has been totally universal for me.
    I tell folks that ask that the Lee Challenger does everything you need and if you need more, get the Co-Ax.
    Unless you are swaging bullets, the extra mass is of no use and even then I would be using a swaging press built for the job.

14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like the Co-Ax and beg to differ that the Co-Ax will load more coincentric bullets than other presses assuming the dies and cases are good. A concentricity gauge will prove this. I believe this is due to the shell plate being able to move side to side and the dies being able to move front to back. How much different? Enough that the 1000 yard or rail gun shooter will realize it, but the average shooter probably will not.

My experience with rail guns prove this out for me anyways, as ammunition loaded on the CO-AX always out performed ammunition loaded on my RCBS Jr2 press out of my 222 Remington chambered rail gun this was using the same dies.

Anyways, my reasoning for a new press is for case forming. I recently bent the arm on my Jr2 resizing some brass I bought that was apparently fired out of a machine gun. It was a job! Kudos to RCBS . I am sending the handle and block and they are going to replace think for me. On a press that is older than me!

The RCBS JR presses also do not have compound leverage and I wanted to remedy that. I ended up purchasing the Lee Classic Cast, non breechblock version.

The Lee Reloader press, Challenger press, and RCBS Partner press are all presses that I am familiar with. They all load excellent ammunition. I have the Lee Reloader press and use it mostly for case prep now but still load on it from time to time. It and a Lee "economy" turret press are what I have at the second house. That would make a perfectly acceptable setup for over 90% of reloaders and I recommend them regularly for folks asking about getting into the hobby. Case forming and bullet swaging require a bit stronger setup.