Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to Rugertalk,

Thanks for the introduction,

Glad you found us, hope you join right in.

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
:welcome:sawman!

Enjoy R/T

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome aboard and jump right in and get your feet or more wet.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great people on here and hope you enjoy yourself. Would you please let us know what kind of weapons you have a preference for?

Tommy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum. Great people on here and hope you enjoy yourself. Would you please let us know what kind of weapons you have a preference for?

Tommy
Well Tommy, I am not sure how to run this thing yet but in answer I kinda like hand guns, rifles and shot guns........ have two Ruger revolvers, .357 and a ranch rifle in .223...

sawman

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Well Tommy, I am not sure how to run this thing yet but in answer I kinda like hand guns, rifles and shot guns........ have two Ruger revolvers, .357 and a ranch rifle in .223...

sawman
I dunno what it is about .357 Mag. I have 3 handguns and a rifle for that cartridge. I also dunno what it is about the .223 I don't like; maybe those funny looking cases I see at the range. Kinda glad Ruger doesn't make the Mini-14 in, say, 243 Winchester. I'd have to have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno what it is about .357 Mag. I have 3 handguns and a rifle for that cartridge. I also dunno what it is about the .223 I don't like; maybe those funny looking cases I see at the range. Kinda glad Ruger doesn't make the Mini-14 in, say, 243 Winchester. I'd have to have one.
.....243 is a little slower than the .223 but has more muzzle energy, depends what you are killing I guess, I use a .243 (with a 6x24)for deer and hogs, .223 (with a 3x9) is handy for coyotes and also hogs.... and slightly cheaper to reload.. fun gun. But I know what you mean about the .357, also have 3, love it but when I was going to get one in rifle I read they are equivalent (in rifle) to a 30-30 and already had that...... I live in the woods, never leave the house without a weapon.... coyotes, hogs, turkey, deer and cougar..

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
.....243 is a little slower than the .223 but has more muzzle energy, depends what you are killing I guess, I use a .243 (with a 6x24)for deer and hogs, .223 (with a 3x9) is handy for coyotes and also hogs.... and slightly cheaper to reload.. fun gun. But I know what you mean about the .357, also have 3, love it but when I was going to get one in rifle I read they are equivalent (in rifle) to a 30-30 and already had that...... I live in the woods, never leave the house without a weapon.... coyotes, hogs, turkey, deer and cougar.
I have a .22-250, maybe the 'boss' of the 22s.

Game and varmints nearby. Sounds good to me. Is the cougar a 'returnee'? Or did it never go away?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
.....243 is a little slower than the .223 but has more muzzle energy.

Well, it depends on the bullet weight. Winchester make a load for the .243 with a 55 grain bullet for coyotes. That almost hits the 4000 fps mark. Even with a 95 grain bullet, .243 is still about the same velocity, give or take a few fps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cougar come and go, maybe get shot not sure, but a lot of deer disappear when one is around. As to the two calibers I was comparing with the same bullet weights.....

·
Chubbo
6 Posts
New "Old Guy"

Finally found a thread that I can Qualify for, and relate too. I'll reach the 85 year old mark in December, although It sometimes feels like it has to be the 850 year mark. My shootin' has dwindled down to just a smidgen of late, but I still like to talk about guns, and their related subjects, love to look at 'em, fondle 'em, collect 'em, work on 'em, and show favorites to others. So, I guess I'm still in the game, albeit in an abbreviated way, and thankful of it.

"Old Chubbo"

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Howdy.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts