Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years later still going through dad's stuff after he passed I found in one of his tackle boxes a New Model Single Six, Ser. 62-78274. It was in a holster loaded with mag rounds. along with a few boxes of mag rounds. Knowing nothing about it watched some videos and it appears this model came with 2 cylinders, one for LR rounds and one for mags. My problem is my cylinder is fluted and the info I got is fluted is for the LR round only and a solid cylinder for mags, but it also said mag rounds will not fit in the fluted cylinder.. Well, the mags fit perfect in my fluted cylinder. and that's how dad left it loaded. So...what gives? Is there another cylinder I can get for LR rounds? Just got to figure this out before I shoot it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The 62 prefix was the first prefix Ruger used for New Model Single Six revolver so your is an early one. 73-74. They use to flute both cylinders and Ruger did so until the mid to late 70's. The cylinders use to look different on the breach end to distinguish LR from Mag.
Font Circle Auto part Rim Metal

The good news is that you can rest assured you have a magnum cylinder. The neck diameter for 22 mag is .242" and is .226" for 22LR so a 22 mag should not fit in a LR cylinder. You could buy a replacemet 22lr cylnder if you cannot find the original. You just need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it timed to you revolver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

The 62 prefix was the first prefix Ruger used for New Model Single Six revolver so your is an early one. 73-74. They use to flute both cylinders and Ruger did so until the mid to late 70's. The cylinders use to look different on the breach end to distinguish LR from Mag.
View attachment 13212

The good news is that you can rest assured you have a magnum cylinder. The neck diameter for 22 mag is .242" and is .226" for 22LR so a 22 mag should not fit in a LR cylinder. You could buy a replacemet 22lr cylnder if you cannot find the original. You just need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it timed to you revolver.
Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts