New model Python

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Donn, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Donn

Donn Member

According to sources on the interwebs, Colt will release the new model Python after the New Year. Allegedly, distributors already have them. True or not? We'll see in a week or so.

2. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I won't speculate, but if true, and if similar quality to the old 70's Python, I might take a look at them.

3. Donn

Donn Member

It'll cut both ways, JM. The old school will lambaste them, "not hand fitted." That and they'll probably be SS, like the new model Cobras and Kings, not the old, rich Colt blue. MHO? The biggest fear the old school might have is if the new model makes a dent, the demand, (and value), of the old models will suffer. Fact is, modern C&C machining will make the new ones every bit as tight as the old ones. Many of us who bought new model Cobras and Kings were roundly mocked by the true believers for buying over priced, not nearly as good copies of classics. We'll see where they stand if/when the new Pythons hit the gun shops.

Pancho_Villa and jmohme like this.
  4. Donn

Donn Member

No longer a rumor, it's available. I won't be in line. With an MSRP of $1300-$1500, (depending on the site you look at), it's way above my pay grade.

rugertoter likes this.
  5. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Yup, mine too. :p

6. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

All the talk lately about the new Python has kind of rekindled my interest in revolvers.
    I had to take out my Smiths and Ruger last night for a little fondling. I even ordered a new set of grips for the Ruger.
    Hopefully this will settle the stirrings and take my mind off of new iron.

Magnum.357 likes this.
  7. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Lol, I also love my revolvers. Unfortunately I don't think I can spend that much for a new Python.

8. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I could, but I won't.
    I have my first purchase of the year already under way. That, and I hear that there have been some reports of version 1.Uh-0 issues with this new snake gun.
    Give it time for some revisions and see if this new one works out to be a decent revolver.

9. Donn

Donn Member

There are a couple of You Tube vids, most notably Hickok 45, reporting light primer strikes and cylinder not rotating. Not sure how wide spread these issues are and I'm sure Colt is already addressing them. That said, with all the hoopla regarding the new Python, not to mention the cost, you'd think the QC would be a little tighter up front.

jmohme likes this.
  10. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how widespread it is either. It may just be a very isolated thing.
    After all, it is a man made and there are always going to be some slip by, but having one slip end up in the hands of a popular Youtube gun guy! What are the odds of that!

I will continue to approach with caution any new releases.