Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new Mini 14 today. I probably should have asked this before making the purchase, but is there any special things about the Mini 14, both positive and negative, that I need to be aware of? Any specific threads that I need to review/learn?
Any pertinent info greatly appreciated.
Tom…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Read the owner's manual very closely and thoroughly. Clean the rifle and mags thoroughly to remove factory-applied preservative. Lube the rifle properly. Brownells offers a good series of vids on the Mini; strongly suggest you watch them after reading the Manual, and before workiing on the Mini. Buy several types of suitable ammo, and go shoot the thing, taking careful notes on which ammo types seem to work best/be most accurate, and stock up on them.

Strongly suggest you not modify the Mini until and unless you are 100% satisfied it is fully reliable. In the unlikely event you need to send it back to Ruger, be advised that Ruger takes a dim view of user-made modifications.

Manage your expectations; Your Mini will probably shoot a group about 2"-3" group at 100 yds, if mechanically sound and using good quality ammo. This level of accuracy can likely be improved somewhat with some minor DIY tweaks/mods, but test the rifle for reliability first.

Best wishes, and report back!

·
Registered
105 Posts
They shoot empty brass about 10 yards to the right.....so you will not make any friends on a crowded rifle range. I have hit many persons with my empty brass and scared the crap out of them. I try to take the lane on the far right side of the range whenever possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depending on the specific model of Mini, some eject upwards, and some to the side-- more-or-less. Most users can make simple DIY mods to their Mini which reduce the distance of brass ejection, and which give a little more bullet velocity.

Suggest that OP is beginning to "walk" with his Mini. Allow him time to do that, and then we can suggest things that he can "run" with. First things first.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can always install ( or have installed ) a reduced gas port bushing, to cut back on how far your brass is thrown. There is also a likelihood that accuracy will improve , and any optics you put on your mini will last longer because of reduced metal to metal slamming. Mini 14's are notoriously known for being too overgassed. The parts are available from A.S.I ( Accuracy Systems Inc.) I would start out with a 0.050 bushing, and go from there. They are sold in kits with several sizes. You will have to let ASI know the first 3 numbers of your serial number ( prefix ) of your mini. Example: 182-, or 584-, ect. So that they send you the correct size bushing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts