Ruger Talk Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Thinking about this more, while the open sight sounds like a fun project, it might be more practical to just pack a second pre-sighted QR sight in my bag. For example, I have both an Eotech halo and a Vortec red dot..I'll have to look into those qr mounts. Maybe something like the Monstrum tactical qr?

· Registered
46 Posts
Maybe use a mirror to take the pic?

There's more than one epoxy compound suitable for the job. Just be sure to de-grease and perhaps slightly "roughen-up" the area(s) to which the epoxy will be applied. Ask me how I know, lol.

In the (quite likely) event that CA passes yet another anti-gun law which bans all semi-auto rifles which can take a magazine, a mfr/vendor called MagLatch makes devices for many semi-auto rifles which will allow a CA-legal magazine to be installed, the magazine latch to be (reversibly) blocked, and the rifle will then be compliant. Being in CA, perhaps you know more about this than I do, and I will appreciate your advice on the subject. I have bought such devices for various types of semi-auto rifles which I own, "just in case". Always willing to learn from those having more experience than I do.

Cogburn Arsenal is a vendor/mfr that you might want to investigate; many interesting Mini items there as well as other stuff. Not to belabor a point I was making earlier, but in a worst-case "legislation" situation, the Ultimak Scout rail + RDS allows a "Stripper Clip Guide" to be installed over the receiver and the Mini fed like an SKS. If a 10-rd magazine can be used in conjunction with a MagLatch device, the Mini is still useable and technically compliant.

A simpler way to "comply" with such laws concerning semi-auto riles would be to make a straight-pull rifle out of the Mini.

This is most easily done by replacing the OEM "Gas Port" inside the gas block with a similar item which has no internal gas port; IOW, a solid cylinder which prevents gas from escaping the barrel and actuating the Op-Rod. Simple and reversible. You, being a "hobby machinist", should find this to be child's play to make. I wonder if Minis exported to such countries as the UK have this done to them by Ruger.

At any rate, if you are conversant about modifying semi-auto rifles to be "compliant" with the law, I'm more than willing to listen.

Most strongly suggest that you visit the two forums I suggested previously. Reason is you are getting my opinions, and just might benefit from the opinions of other Mini users. I don't think most experienced Mini users will disagree with my suggestions/opinons, but maybe others will have better ideas. Nothing against this forum, but it is kind of "quiet". Strongly suggest you obtain the benefit of the opinions of other experienced Mini users. I sure don't know everything, and I admit it.

All best wishes!

· Registered
46 Posts
Thinking about this more, while the open sight sounds like a fun project, it might be more practical to just pack a second pre-sighted QR sight in my bag. For example, I have both an Eotech halo and a Vortec red dot..I'll have to look into those qr mounts. Maybe something like the Monstrum tactical qr?
World is your oyster as far as sights go. I had to look for a LOW QR base for my TSR-25 and TSR-26 RDSs (different bases, IIRC), but I found them. Takes some digging, and ebay often sells stuff not available on amazon.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another question regarding my rail. If you look at the picture in post #10 of the right side of the rail, it sits low, but also has a bit of a nob with a set screw hole in it. Does anyone have an educated guess if this might come into play with ejection of empties?
I know the best way to tell is to go out and fire it, but the only ammo I have is Barnes TSX and at over a buck and half a pop several rounds are starting to add up.I'd rather save it for sighting in. And there is no such thing as cheap ammo in the people's republic.
It would be fairly easy to mill the rail down, and if I do, I want to do it before I semi permanently mount and sight in my Eotech. With some Aluminium black it shouldn't look too bad.
Any thoughts?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Other than several shotguns and a couple rimfires, I only have one semi rifle. It's my absolutely limited 4 shot 300 win mag Benelli R-1. And it is a tack driver like I have never seen in an auto loader
But I really don't know too much about the CA laws as they relate to something like the mini-14.
I have heard that if you have something called a mag lock (or something like that) that most of the other restrictions, like folding stocks, thumholds, etc. go out the window but don't take my word on this. It's just a lead to research. I guess the mag lock makes loading/unloading individual rounds through the breach your only option.
You could still use a speed loader but I don't think so if you have optics over the breach.

· Registered
46 Posts
The knob attached to the scope base probably will not be an issue, but test-firing will tell the tale.

There is a raised portion on the side of the rail (shooter's right), near the front of the receiver about which I would be much more concerned.

As mentioned previously, the boss is there because the mount is for a M-14/M1a rifle, with a longer cartridge. See similar rear "boss/projection behind rear sight. Suitable for larger 7.62 ctg, but possibly unsat for smaller 5.56/.223 ctg.

In short, you have the wrong scope mount for your Mini. Sorry, but there it is.

One of the fundamental problems with almost all "over the Receiver" scope rails is that such make removal of the bolt for periodic cleaning quire a hassle. Unlike the later Ranch Rifle Mini, Your Mini has no OEM provisions for mounting a rail over the action. Even so, some Mini Ranch rifle users report hassles when trying to remove the bolt with rail installed. That's why most experienced Mini users have forsworn such mounts and gone to the Scout rail for RDS optics. Eotech also a possibility with the Scout rail.

I think I have gotten able to "understand" you during our posts back and forth. I share many similar characteristics, and perhaps I sense them in you.

There comes a time when trying to make something work (in your specific case an item NOT intended for your MINI) becomes a time-consuming and ultimately pointless exercise.

I say this as someone who (I think) understands your wanting to "fix" this puzzle. I understand the allure of a "challenge". I also say this as a friend, with no axe to grind: You are wasting your valuable time.

Yes, you can probably spend hours of your valuable time on the project, but in the bitter end, you will still have something that is unsatisfactory, no matter how much you tweak it.

I don't say this lightly and said with ALL respect to you. I've gone down the "rabbit hole" on some projects, so I think I understand. Don't re-invent the wheel. Don't waste your time on a project when there are FAR better "of-the-shelf" alternatives.

Strongly suggest going on other (suggested) forums, explaining your situation there, and get other opinions.

All best Wishes!

· Registered
46 Posts
Other than several shotguns and a couple rimfires, I only have one semi rifle. It's my absolutely limited 4 shot 300 win mag Benelli R-1. And it is a tack driver like I have never seen in an auto loader
But I really don't know too much about the CA laws as they relate to something like the mini-14.
I have heard that if you have something called a mag lock (or something like that) that most of the other restrictions, like folding stocks, thumholds, etc. go out the window but don't take my word on this. It's just a lead to research. I guess the mag lock makes loading/unloading individual rounds through the breach your only option.
You could still use a speed loader but I don't think so if you have optics over the breach.
As I said, in the "likely" event that CA bans all semi-autos, then my suggestions might be useful, if you want to keep the Mini; Otherwise sell it off, destroy it, give it to the Cops, or modify it. File my suggestions away and do some research as time allows. Suggest your "time" for research is limited. Such laws likely coming here in RI, so I have tried to plan ahead as best I can. I'm not destroying any heretofore legally owned item, nor destroying it, nor turning it into the Cops/Gov't. My call perhaps not yours.

You, my friend (and I mean that), are about to witness the effects of existent and forthcoming CA anti-gun laws will have on you and your Mini.

Maybe I seem paranoid, but past experience says not. Forewarned is forearmed. Plan ahead. As TR said: Make preparations in advance ... you never have trouble if you are prepared for it."

· Registered
2 Posts
Suggest you remove the problematic muzzle device, find some decent and reliable mags, thoroughly clean and lube your Mini, and then sight it in using iron sights. Try multiple types/brands of ammo and take careful notes. Suggest that spending money on sights and rails at this early point is entirely premature. Possibly not what you want to hear, but I've tried the same type of scope mount in your pictures, and it's junk, IMHO. Way too high for a decent cheek weld (without an add-on cheek riser) and unreliable as to holding zero. Personal experience, not a guess. Never heard of Votatu optics and can't comment except to say I'm highly skeptical as to their quality and durability. Walk before you run.
The only magazines that are reliable in a Mini 14 or 30 are Ruger OEM mags. NONE of the aftermarket mags are worth anything. Second, do not grind anything unless you want to destroy the rifle. If you have to remove the front piece, take it to a decent gunsmith. If you do it, you could scratch, ding or mung it up.

· Registered
194 Posts
It looks to me like the muzzle device could be easily removed by tapping out the roll pin with a properly sized punch. And I have to agree with above poster. Stay with Ruger factory mags. The silver colored ones look like pro-mag junk. The only aftermarket mags I've had good luck with were sold by CDNN: "Original Equipment" ( not Ruger made ) when the follower is replaced by a Ruger made follower that I got from Midway-Usa.

I would have to agree that an ultimak or Samson rail is probably the best method to enable an optics mount on a standard model mini-14 like you have. But do you want to spend $140-50 to get one?

As far as accurizing a standard model mini goes, an aftermarket rail as mentioned above goes a long way in achieving that. A trigger job also helps. I personally don't like accustruts, or other weight adding devices to the barrel of the mini.

At some point, modification of a standard model mini becomes too costly, and time consuming to fix.
I accept my standard model mini's for what they are:

A handy, lightweight, iron sighted carbine ideal for short range engagements. I compare them to the classic M-1 Carbine, SKS or AK style carbine/rifle.

If you must have optics, then get yourself a 580+ series Ranch model Mini.

Best wishes,

40nascar

· Registered
147 Posts
I would not go through the time & effort to modify anything to get around a Calif. ordinance or law. Sell it and move on while you can, if you think that is what's coming. The chance of you ever needing anything in a semi mode for self defense etc is slim to none. If you are in that much "trouble" you will need more than that to save the day, IMHO. In the case that a little more fire power is needed, You can have a solid lever gun that should handle most of your needs. Jeff Cooper used to call the lever gun, the "Brooklyn Assault rifle" , LOL!

Attachments

· Registered
194 Posts
Depending on where you live in Ca., A semi auto may be the best choice, since the laws are on the side of criminals. That along with roving racial gangs, home crashers, ect. The question is whether or not a carbine is the best answer. Maybe a pistol is.

I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6, than give up a right enshrined by our Constitution. Gavin Newsom can go phuck himself.

While I enjoy lever guns alot, I don't think it's a good answer when you get woken in the middle of the night, and are semi conscious. A pistol or revolver is always under my pillow.

· Registered
147 Posts
Depending on where you live in Ca., A semi auto may be the best choice, since the laws are on the side of criminals. That along with roving racial gangs, home crashers, ect. The question is whether or not a carbine is the best answer. Maybe a pistol is.

While I enjoy lever guns alot, I don't think it's a good answer when you get woken in the middle of the night, and are semi conscious. A pistol or revolver is always under my pillow.
I lived in LA for 5/6 yrs. Never had a problem. I stayed out of problem areas, and minded my own business. Worked fine. I do not live in fear of robbery, break in, riots, mad max, etc. It is just my nature. I believe awareness and brains trump any firearm combination out there. I am also a life long CCW holder and firearm owner. Fortunately , I have never had the need to use either, though I have been in situations that would have allowed it. However, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. IMHO

· Registered
194 Posts
You must be well connected, to be able to get a CCW in L.A. Yes, living in a good neighborhood, avoiding problem areas in public, and situational awareness go a long way in personal protection. But sometimes Hell comes for breakfast, and it's best to be ready for that, as you are.

Most of the US population, especially in the big city's cannot get a carry license, or avoid bad areas or neighborhoods at all times.

· Registered
147 Posts
You must be well connected, to be able to get a CCW in L.A. Yes, living in a good neighborhood, avoiding problem areas in public, and situational awareness go a long way in personal protection. But sometimes Hell comes for breakfast, and it's best to be ready for that, as you are.

Most of the US population, especially in the big city's cannot get a carry license, or avoid bad areas or neighborhoods at all times.
Was "connected" is more like it. My prior working for the govt helped. I lived in Brentwood at Sunset & Barrington. Nice area. However, it did not matter in LA. We had a neighbor killed going to the ATM around the corner.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts