Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i just purchased a 584 series Mini 14 this week, and took it to the range today. I shot M16A1s when I was in the service, and own a M&P 15, but I wanted to add a Mini 14 to my little collection, and after putting 130 rounds through it this weekend, I can tell I'm really going to enjoy the rifle.
I noticed that most of my spent casings have a small dent about 7/8" up from the base. What's causing this, and is it a concern? I was shooting factory load 5.56 this weekend, but am hoping to start reloading 223 rounds.
Thanks in advance.
Al

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Op rod handle is striking your brass during the extraction/ejection cycle. You can minimize or eliminate that problem by installing a reduced gas port bushing from ASI. I would start at .055 diameter bushing. Have a Gunsmith do this for you unless your a competent Gunsmith.

Also, you may have less of a problem with this issue by shooting standard .223 rnds, as they have about 10% less peak pressure than 5.56 loads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, 40nascar and hello Thelma. I've attached a photo of the dented 556 cases. I've also got some 223 rounds so will shoot that next weekend and see if the dent issue improves. Appreciate the advice to have a reduced gas port bushing installed; that will be on the list.
Al
Bullet Gun accessory Ammunition Cylinder Metal
Bullet Gun accessory Ammunition Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine look same .......totally normal. 581 series &584 series....they all do this to the brass.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very true with the Ranch models. The standard non-ranch models eject the brass straight up, so no Op-rod indentation issues with those older models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shot a couple of boxes of 223 factory ammo this weekend. The dents are still there, but somewhat smaller. During the week I'll clean them up and run the brass through the sizing die and see what they look like. I also checked some 223 brass that I had shot through my M&P 15 and noticed that it too had some very small markings on the brass. My reload 223s use a relatively light charge, so I'm becoming less concerned about the dents. Now if I could just figure out a way to recover more of the brass. I shoot at an indoor range, and about 50% of the brass falls forward of the shooting line.
Thanks for your comments, really appreciate them.
Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shot a couple of boxes of 223 factory ammo this weekend. The dents are still there, but somewhat smaller. During the week I'll clean them up and run the brass through the sizing die and see what they look like. I also checked some 223 brass that I had shot through my M&P 15 and noticed that it too had some very small markings on the brass. My reload 223s use a relatively light charge, so I'm becoming less concerned about the dents. Now if I could just figure out a way to recover more of the brass. I shoot at an indoor range, and about 50% of the brass falls forward of the shooting line.
Thanks for your comments, really appreciate them.
Al
Look at the thread right below yours. I asked and answered this question.

TLDR: it’s not a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts