New lcr medium frame?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by wardo82, Jan 6, 2017.

1. wardo82

wardo82 New Member

Has anyone seen this new lcr 38 special in what looks like a medium sized frame? I didn't know they made it in this size. I'll attach the photo I received.

Attached Files:

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I rented one and really liked it. It's the same "frame" as the LCR, just a longer barrel and grip sleeve. It handles recoil much better than the LCR snubbie.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I believe this model came to be in 2016 but I haven't seen hardly any reviews on it.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have had one for a bit over a year now. As mentioned earlier, it's the same frame as the LCR snubby, just has a longer barrel. It's accurate, recoil is certainly present with the hottest +P loads but it's not unpleasant at all. It has a wonderful trigger and is very easy to tote. I carry mine OWB in a nylon holster with a retention strap. I use mine as a "trail" gun. Small game and rat shot for vermin that slither. I use handload, 125gn cast truncated cones for my hot loads, 158 gn cast round flat for my light loads.

I quit carrying my Rossi M68 when I got this, and that took some doing! I'm going to buy another as soon as one comes out in 22 LR!

5. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I was just looking at the size, and it's almost identical in size to my 3" GP100, but half the weight and one less round. And not .357. The LCRx3 is a really nice revolver but hard to justify having one.

6. buster40c

My LCR 357 is perfect for my concealed carry and I had no desire for this bigger version gun to replace it.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

How does it compare to LC9s for length, height and weight? It looks like something great for a shoulder rig but maybe a little big to conceal on the belt?

8. buster40c

I am quite sure the LC9S is much smaller in every way.

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^ lcrx3 is 1.5" longer, 1.3" taller, but about 1.5 oz. Lighter than lc9s, per Ruger's website.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I stared at the pic for awhile. Looks like it's gonna shoot pretty low unless the rear sight gets jacked up quite a lot. It's a 3 inch LCRx, mostly.

Shucks. I just dunno what it's for; a purse gun?

11. wardo82

wardo82 New Member

Thanks for the input, I love learning something new all the time. I had the lcr, so when I saw that picture I was surprised a had not seen it before. I would like to see how it shoots, suppose I'll rent one when available to do so. Thanks for the great information guys.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I use it as a garden/kit/tackle box gun, except I don't keep it in my tackle box, but OWB. You don't know that it's on you. It does well with rat shot, and cast bullets, as noted in use 125 and 158 grain. I am working with some .36 can round ball loads too. 000 buckshot run through a .358 sizer. They are showing some promise.

It goes with me whenever I'm out about the property, or when hunting or fishing. It's just right for that.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK. For the totality of those uses, it has distinct advantages over an SP101

14. wardo82

wardo82 New Member

That's a really good method I'm thinking while looking at it. If I was out trail walking and a rabid raccoon was coming towards me it looks perfect for that. Looks really light as well so no getting used to a heavier revolver. Should be called the trail gun or something of that nature!

15. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Myself, as one who has now had 5 LCRs, think the 3 inch might be perfect for me.

I[m not known for liking .357 MAgnum, or even .327 Magnum recoil, so keeping with
    easy recoiling .38, 38+P ammo that unlike .327.. I can find in most shops.

The longer grip on the 3 feels nicer to me than the regular LCRs, and I like the
    smoother and lighter trigger, along with the sights, and also that nice hammer.

While I'd not be able to conceal it in an ankle holster, belt or shoulder holster carry
    would be fine.

Maybe when they offer it with a copper cylinder:)