New LCR 9MM Revolver Seized cases

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by kawa, Aug 4, 2015.

1. kawa

kawa New Member

I just picked up my new LCR 9MM and was putting an array of different types/brands of ammo through it when I loaded it with "WPA" Steel cased and after firing the 5 rounds I found that the cases were stuck in the cylinder.

With the aid of a wooden dowel and a small hammer I was able to tap them along with the moon clip free.

Having said the above I do understand that this is NOT a target pistol and I probably won't be running thousands of rounds through it but the seizure has me concerned.

I have mic'ed the steel cases before and after firing as well as brass cases and found nothing of significance.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
    Rog :confused:

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm no expert so I could be full of crap, but I do know that brass is "slicker" than steel and that's why it has that polymer coat on it to make it slide easier. That could at least part of it. I don't shoot steel case ammo in anything anymore because I got terrible headspace problems in my AR with steel. Not sure why.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The only thing I shoot steel cases in, is guns made for it,
    AK 47, SKS, Makarov, Tokarev.

Steel casing dont expand and contract , or flex and give , the way brass does,

Jim

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

The kind of thing that can happen when you try and save a couple of bucks...............................................

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm thinking that maybe the steel expands OK, but doesn't shrink as much afterwards - and/or - the cases are coated? I've read about problems with those... . In a revolver, there is no 'extract' element in the firing cycle.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

When I shoot 357 mag out of my LCR 357 I have had the casings stick in the cylinder if I try to eject them while they are still hot. I let them cool a bit and then they will come out ok. I think those were steel casings also.
    I imagine the steel cases are expanding more than the brass cases. It could be they are holding the heat longer also causing the problem. I have had trouble ejecting steel cases with some less expensive semi-autos. Kel-Tec PF9 didn't like them at all.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

If you watch Hickcock45 shoot revolvers, in some situations, you can see that he really has to "punch" them out, by smacking that ejector hard. Things get hot and expand. I have never had that situation with my Ruger, but I don't get it really hot either. Not saying that you got it real hot.................it just happens when things expand. I never have, and I never will shoot steel cased ammo out of any firearm I own. It's ok for some firearms, but for handguns, I spend a few more denaro, and avoid these types of problems. There are many arguments concerning whether it's a wise thing to shoot steel cased ammo. I side with the people who don't use it. It can cause excessive wear over time, and has it's reliability issues. It usually always goes bang, it's just how it can go bang, that bothers some.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I figure if I have to hit the ejector rod hard then that can't be good for the gun. Slam anything and it will surely fail quicker.

9. kawa

kawa New Member

Thanks to all that have replied, I contacted Ruger and was told that the LCR 9mm was not designed to fire steel cases....not sure what that means, what did they do or not do to prevent their use??

This defies my mechanical common sense as I have even tried steal case ammo that has no coating on them. soooooooo, the solution must be......
    Don't shoot steel cases in an LCR 9mm. :confused:

Thanks again,
    Rog