New LCR 5456 Range report

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Lex, May 6, 2016.

1. Lex

Lex New Member

Went to the range yesterday with my brand new LCR 5456 9mm. I traded a SP101 .357 safe queen for the 5456 and regret that decision now. The main reason I traded was ammo costs. .38 / .357 range rounds are at least half again as costly as 9mm.

The was my first shooting experience with the 5456. The d/a only trigger pull is totally unlike the SP101. The recoil is a brute for 9mm. My SP101 was amazingly accurate, this 5456 is strictly a belly gun.

I purchased 3 extra moon clips for a total of 6. While loading / unloading moon clips is annoying at the least I can live with that. Now, the problem. The first 2 clips fired fine. There was a mis-fire in the 3rd clip. It fired on the second attempt. That clip now can't be removed.

I'm calling Ruger Customer Service obviously but thought I'd post this here in the event anyone else has the same problem.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Keep us posted, please. Rugers have been working too good around here lately; you may have been 'volunteered' for the hiccup.

I've tangled with moon-clips. Loading-unloading them seems to require an attitude adjustment. The Rhino that once owned me came with an 'extraction tool'. I don't remember what it looked like (naturally).

3. Lex

Lex New Member

Spoke to a very efficient Ruger CSR early this morning. After entering my serial number she was able to track production run # & date. She informed me Ruger would correct the problem at their expense and assigned a case number. She e-mailed a prepaid Fed-Ex 2, day air-bill and a short form to include with the shipment explaining the issue. She informed me their turnaround is running 2 weeks.

All in all, I'm impressed especially when you consider Ruger doesn't even have a published warranty.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ruger CS kinda bowls me over - again. I've seen several reports of similar CS from RCBS. Jeez, maybe there is a Tooth Fairy. I haven't had to use it yet, except to get a replacement mag for my 77/357.

Hmm. I hope my SR40c is trouble free; it was built almost 2 years ago, even though it's new. YNK.

5. Lex

Lex New Member

Shipped it to Ruger May 6 using their prepaid Fed-Ex label. Got it back at noon today with Packing Slip that states: "Replaced Hammer Assy, Cylinder Bushing, Ejector". They also sent 3 new moon clips. 2 weeks to the day, very impressive.

Lex

6. Lex

Lex New Member

Sold the Ruger

Got rid of the Ruger today. I should have know a 9mm 5 shot moon clip wheel gun was a huge mistake from the start, other that low cost range ammo. This was the gun that jammed and had to be returned for repair after a whooping 15 rounds fired. :mad: I'll keep the MK II .22lr though

Moving right along, I stepped up and bought this as another 9mm plinker. :D

Attached Files:

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Glad you stepped right up.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I shoot mostly 38 and 357 so I now got into reloading them. I think in the long run I will get my 38/357 costs down. My S&W 627-5 came with moon clips but I haven't even tried using them yet. I heard they can be a pain without a tool.
    I am not really surprised to hear the LCR 9mm has some kick to it. 9mm in small light guns is a handful. I have to say I would be just like you in that I don't keep a gun I don't care for.

9. Lex

Lex New Member

It was a pleasure getting rid of it, even at a loss. :D