New LCR 38

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Buckshotshorty, May 30, 2015.

1. Buckshotshorty

Buckshotshorty New Member

Kudos to Grabagun. Ordered my new 38 on May 28, got it in my hands today, May 30. I never ordered a firearm and received it so fast. I got a shipping notice three hours after I placed the order.
    The gun has a test fire date of March 5, 2015 so it's a very recent production. Haven't shot it yet, but I will follow up with a range report and pictures. For now, a picture of my LCR 9mm will have to do since it looks exactly the same:

[​IMG]

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new LCR,

great little guns,

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Do the 38 and the 9 weigh the same? The 38+P is like a feather to me. That 4 oz difference my LCR 357 has feels heavy compared to the +P. My LCR is my main carry.
    I see you have started your collection. It happens quick sometimes.
    That was very quick delivery.

4. Buckshotshorty

Buckshotshorty New Member

No, the the 9 mm weighs in at 17.2 oz. like the 357. I guess the extra 4 oz helps a great deal in managing recoil because the 9 mm shoots softly compared to to 38+p.

5. buster40c

Well that's good and the 9mm is cheaper to shoot also. Sounds like it would be more fun practice shooting.

6. rico567

rico567 New Member

Yes, I chose the original .38 +P version partly because I have always reloaded for .38, but the other parts are the phenomenally light weight and the great trigger pull. The gun when fully loaded with 5 x 158 gr. +P loads comes in at 15 3/4 ounces. Makes all the difference for me, as I am very weight sensitive when it comes to CCW, I can't manage an all-steel J-frame.

7. Lex

Lex New Member

9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot. That's why I traded my .357 SP101 in favor for the LCR moonclip 9. A difference of at least $5 - $7 per box 50 even for .38 reloads and a lot less recoil too.

8. buster40c

The 9mm has less recoil than the 38? That's surprising to me.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The 9 being built on the heavier chassis may account for less felt recoil.

I like the moon-clip aspect; have been informed that, with practice, they are a quicker reload than a 'speed loader'.

It strikes me that the LCR is a single purpose gun - concealed carry, 30 feet on in. That makes the 9x19 cartridge thoroughly appropriate.

Right now I am in a tight money bind - taxes, home&auto insurance, hearing aids - but an LCR or LCRx is at the top of my list for when/if I see daylight.