New LCP - questions/issues

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by starcg333, Sep 7, 2015.

1. starcg333

starcg333 New Member

Good morning - new to the forum and I have a few questions about an LCP that I purchased two days ago.

1) When trying to insert the mag, it goes in smoothly about half way and then seems to be obstructed by something...there is significant resistance and I have to very forcefully push the mag to get it past this point and to get it to fully seat. Is this normal for LCPs?

2) In order to get the mag to seat properly I have to slide it in all the way and then move it slightly forward (towards the trigger). In other words if I just slide the mag straight in (and don't do that slight forward push at the end) it will not click into place and will just slide back out. Is this normal for LCPs?

3) Last night I was trying to install a Hogue Handall Hybrid (#18100) on the LCP, but I could not get the hammer spring seat to come out. I was using a small Allen key that was just a little smaller in diameter than the hole on the back of the grip. I assume that I should feel some resistance when I insert the key in the hole, but instead the key goes all the way into the hole very easily and does not accomplish anything as far as being able to remove the hammer spring seat? Any thoughts on this?

The issues with the magazine have me concerned. This is the first Ruger pistol that I have owned (although I've had Ruger revolvers and rifles). So I have no experience/familiarity with Ruger pistols. I am comparing it with my Glock and S&W pistols, and the mag insertion and removal is just not as smooth or precise. I'm wondering if this is an actual issue with the LCP or if it is normal and just something I will need to get used to if I decide to carry the gun?

Thank you!

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Hit the mag release button. The LCP IMHO is not the same quality as a Glock or better grade S&W. They can get finicky with cheap reloads. I carry one everywhere because it's tiny, not because it's a great gun. I just ordered a s/s guide rod and might need to get a better spring because mine was not cycling completely with certain ammo.

3. starcg333

starcg333 New Member

Do you mean to hit the mag release button and hold it down while I am inserting the mag? This works of course, but why would I need to push the mag release down while INSERTING the mag? I should only need to push the mag release when I want to remove the mag.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

"Hard seat" the magazine until it smoothes out. Basically that means slam it home. One good range session or two should do it. I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at for that, but all weapons need to be broken in and some more than others. Oddly enough, I've had similar issues with almost every small single stack semi-auto I've owned. The PPK/s being the most troublesome and actually required a little bit of magazine lip compression.

In the field or in a "live" shoot, you're going to slam that magazine home and you need to trust that your weapon can handle it.

edited to add:: Push down firmly in the hole, while pulling down on the seat; you may need to use a thin blade screwdriver as a slight wedge.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

What he said! ^^^^^

Welcome to the forum!
    Please take a minute and jump on over to the Introduction section and introduce yourself. :) We like to know who we're talking to. Plus you deserve a proper welcome. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

I, also, like using Hogue, 'Handall' grips* - Very high quality polymer that you can do a lot with. The above replies are, all, very good advice! Check back after firing off about 200 rounds. Things should smooth out for ya. ;)

* You may not want to do this; but, on my larger Glocks I coat the inside of the Handall with Elmer's, 'Rubber Cement'. (It's completely non-acidic, as well as non-toxic. Then I use my wife's hairdryer in order to bake it in place for a few minutes. Afterwards I cleanup with either FrogLube (the best!) or just plain mineral oil; and, then, I let everything dry overnight before wiping it down the next morning with an old cotton washcloth.

The hairdryer shrinks the Handall around the grip and works very well. (Easy on the heat - OK!) I've found the Handall grips to work much better, and last way way longer than skateboard tape ever could, or did.

7. louchia

louchia Member

I'm on my second LCP. First one had ejection problems after the takedown pin came out and gun fell apart while firing.
    I have not had either of the issues you mention. I do have the Hogue grip. when installing on either gun, everything went as per instructions. Pressure applied with small pin in hole at rear of grip to remove small grip end. If your pin goes in with no resistance, perhaps someone broke the small tab. Insert a small blade in the seam between the bottom of the grip and the grip end and try to pry it off. it should come easily.
    The mag problem may go away with break in.
    In either case, I would call Rugar . The have great customer service.
    Also try inserting the mag with the slide open.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I like the Pachmayr grips better than the Houge's..........................................................

9. buckshot85

buckshot85 New Member

ruger lcp

we have shot 300 plus rounds thru two ruger lcps and both are jamming up first with reminton then with winchester ammo you guys know anything i can try, ammo they seem to prefer, using break free on them and any advice will be helpful. tks

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Jeez. Is something going on with Ruger semiauto manufacture? seems like an uptick of problems lately. Customer service can get overloaded pretty quick if someone is cutting corners in mfg/qc.

11. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

It's long been my understanding that Ruger avoids the expense of operating a QC department by simply not arguing with customers who complain. As I've been repeatedly told by others: It's cheaper to simply replace a few guns, here and there, rather than to employ dozens of QC inspectors on their final assembly lines. This, in fact, turned out to be true for me when I purchased a brand new Ruger SP-101. The SP-101 I have, today, is a fine gun; but it took Sturm-Ruger 3 tries before I finally got one that was, unquestionably, all correct. (Very annoying!) ;)

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Did they send you three guns or fix one three times?
    What was the turn around time for each repair or replacement?

13. louchia

louchia Member

I would deffinately call Rugar.
    I also use CLP to clean my guns. Does a good job. I'm sure that is not a problem.
    Had FTeject problem with my first LCP. Called Rugar. They sent me a shipping lable and I sent it in. 10 days later I had a NEW gun. No problems since.
    Wife just bought one. Cleaned before her first range trip. Break in trip was flawless. Used several brand ammo. Win., Rem., PMC and Hornady .Box of each.
    Good luck. My experiance with Rugar has been good. Standing behind their products.

14. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

No each pistol went at a different time. As I remember it, waiting time was not excessive. Less than 30 days in each instance. The way that I ended up with a very nice SP-101 is that I finally had Sturm-Ruger give me my money back. Then, stubborn cuss that I am, I went to a local gunsmith - who was, at the time, under contract to a large gun store - and had him sell me an SP-101 that he had personally picked out for me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  15. starcg333

starcg333 New Member

I wanted to follow up with you guys and give an update on this issue. I did end up sending this gun back to Ruger. I spoke to the technician today. He said there was an issue with the grip frame which he repaired and that the mag seating problems are now resolved. He also replaced the takedown pin with the newer one as a free service update. And he replaced the hammer seat cap.

I have to give a big shout out to Ruger’s customer service…it has been exceptional. I initially emailed them about the problems I was having, and I received an email reply within 24 hours (and I emailed them on a Sunday). The email instructed me to call, which I did. The call was answered promptly and the lady on the other end actually spoke clear English and was pleasant to talk to. Within 10 minutes after hanging up, I had an email with a pre-paid shipping label for 2-day shipping. I shipped the gun late Monday afternoon. It was delivered to Ruger late yesterday afternoon (Wednesday). By lunch time today (Thursday) the technician had personally called me to discuss the issues with my gun and to inform me of the repairs he had already made. The gun was already back out the door this afternoon (Thursday) and on its way back to me. I already have email confirmation that it has shipped along with the tracking number and expected arrival of Monday. Assuming it arrives when scheduled that is door to door in 7days (from NC to AZ and back) with less than one day turnaround at the Ruger repair facility. I am blown away by this service. My hat’s off to the folks at Ruger.

Obviously I would have preferred for the gun to have been flawless right out of the box so that I never even had to use Ruger's repair service...but nevertheless I wanted to give their customer service/repair service credit where credit is due.

16. louchia

louchia Member

Starcg333 , glad things seem to be going well with Rugar. I also had a very positive experience with them replacing one of my LCPs. It should not happen but at least they stand by their product. No BS. here's a new gun.
    Please let us know what the final results are.
    My wife liked my LCP and Rugars CS response so much that she got one for herself.