New LCP problem

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ocalabob, May 31, 2017.

1. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

Hi. New to this forum and new to Ruger pistols. I just purchased a Ruger LCP and took it to the range and fired 50 rounds. It worked flawlessly. When I cleaned it afterward there was an X gouge mark on the slide.

Before I shot it I checked and there was lube in the gun. Called Ruger and now I had to ship it back for them to "fix"

Brand new ... 50 rounds ... not impressed!

Anyone else have same or similar experience?

Thanks

Bob

[​IMG] ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1496266452.561682.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Can't see the pic.... ? So what type of X gouge and where?

It doesn't really matter, if it's something that needs a "fix" Ruger will take care of it.

I've never had the same or similar experience with an LCP but I have had experience with Ruger's customer service. They'll take care of any problems, you can count on it!

Edit: Bob, thanks for fixing the pic so we can see it.
    Ruger is gonna want that gun back alright.

:usa:

Last edited: May 31, 2017

3. SFC

SFC New Member

Welcome from Arizona

4. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Bob ,
    Sorry your first experience hasn't been a great one , that X is not a common thing at all. From your photo it appears to be a flaw in the metal , also some other small places to the left of the X ...that's just not right and Ruger will replace it.
    Ruger really needs to up the quality control . It may not be harmful but it's a brand new gun and the flaw looks rather deep , call Ruger , they have taken care of a number of my problems over the years.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana :welcome:
    Gary

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to RT forum.
    I have no idea how that X got there. Was the x there when you inspected it and cleaned it before firing it or hadn't you looked at that area of the slide? I really doubt that firing 50 rounds caused that. It must have been in the metal when the slide was made.

Ruger will make it right that you can count on.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk! :welcome:

That's definitely a weird looking defect. Ruger CS will take care of ya

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk! :welcome:

That's definitely a weird looking defect. Ruger CS will take care of ya

8. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

I gave it a quick look when I first took it out of the box and I didn't see the X. Could it have been there as a manufacturing defect? I suppose that is possible. I did send pictures to Ruger and they wanted the gun back to look at. They said they would probably just replace the slide. So it arrives there today. We shall see. They were super friendly and I anticipate zero problems from them.

Thanks for your reply

9. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

To all who have replied, Thank you for your assistance. The gun arrives at Ruger today. They gave me a prepaid mailing label and they were super nice so I am certain they will make this right.

I will post when this is resolved. Again THANKS to all!!!!

I only had the gun for a couple of days but I have to tell you I miss it. I purchased it for concealed carry and it is PERFECT for that. It is so small that I had to keep checking to see if I hadn't lost it. And when I did shoot it, I really liked how it shot. It is the perfect gun for the purpose for which it was created!

10. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

Update to LCP slide problem

UPDATE 6/2

Ruger has replaced the slide and they fired 18 rounds with no problems so it is on the way back. That was quick turnaround. Their service is definitely outstanding. Their quality control ... Not so much. Should not happen but they are definitely making it right. :):Cooltu:

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep try getting that kind of turn around for repairs/warranty from any other gun maker. Very few to none will compare to Ruger service. Funny how fan boys of other gun makers harp about Ruger not having a written warranty. They don't have a clue but run their mouths about Ruger.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yep, Ruger will take care of you.... no time limit.
    That's a much better deal than a written one year warranty (three if you "register"), after that, they don't want anything to do with you.

:GadsdenFlag:

13. smileyblair

smileyblair New Member

My extractor chipped. I called Rugar. They answered. Told them what it was. They asked for my address and sent me one. Total phone call was probably 4 minutes. I was very impressed.

14. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Hey ocalabob
    Did they ever say what the X was ?????

15. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

No just that they replaced the slide, fired 18 rounds and there was no problems.

16. ocalabob

ocalabob New Member

Update to LCP slide problem #2

Received the gun yesterday from Ruger, shot 25 rounds through it, and I just cleaned and examined it. Absolutely perfect as it should be. So I am all set and Ruger service truly did an outstanding job here. (they replaced the slide)

Thanks to all who have commented it really helped!!

Bob Hansen
    :):):)

17. SFC

SFC New Member

Hey Bob I would like to add

I own a lot of Rugers although no Semi Auto Pistols

I do own revolvers and I have had a bad one or two, but Ruger stands behind their products and I have had a GP 100 replaced and a Super Redhawk 44 mag. The first thing before shooting I take all my firearms apart and in some cases to the point I have to call the manufacture because I tore them down past the point of no return.

When shooting any caliber firearm remember You Are The One holding that firearm. I shoot a lot of .357, 41 and 44 Magnums using factory loads. I have seen the results of these firearms blowing up in one's hand and it is not pretty. Some of problems the shooter was responsible for shooting reloads by over loading powder requirements and yet Ruger still replaced the firearm. Others have been a manufacture problem, mostly timing on the revolvers and Ruger has replaced/repaired but it is up to the individual for checking the firearm out prior to shooting.

I learned from some of the best Bullberry Barrels, TC, Sierra Bulletsmiths and World Class Shooters when I did compete with a Remington Model 700 ADL .308 Winchester with a Sierra 155 gr HPBT PALMA Matchking at 1000 yard targets. I still shoot rifles just don't compete like I use to, however, when you shoot 300 Win Mags, 338 LaPua Mags and 7mm mags you best better tear those rifles down for the first time even if custom made. My favorite rifle I love shooting in a Browning BAR that I have in 270 Winchester this is one bad bear that I have compensated as the rounds fly out of that rifle.

Remember people make mistakes

Just my .02 Cents

18. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I thought that I made a mistake once, but I didn't! Lol

19. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You mistake was in thinking that you had made one.

20. gumpy

gumpy New Member