New lc9s. Essential tools for maintaining top quality.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vanousb, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

I have a new Ruger lc9s. First higher caliber pistol. Have a older kit I use to with long rod, etc for cleaning 12 ga and rifle. Read a lot on this site about kits etc. for pistols. A lot of great info and opinions. I will keep reading, and don't want to sound redundant, but I wanted to see what current experienced shooters would recommend as essential tools, cleaners, lubes, etc. to keep my lc9s top notch for years to come?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining and your first post.

Im sure you will get many replies to your question on cleaning tools and accessories.

Jim

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk! We're happy you've joined us. :)

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Buy a $20 cleaning kit from Walmart, a spray can of Ballistol and another of Remington oil or use Mobil 1.

5. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!

6. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

Since I have a 22 rifle, 12g shotgun, a recently acquired s&w m&p 22, a s&w 38 special 67 model, and my new lc9s (as stated in original post) I decided to upgrade all my cleaning tools with 2 bore snakes (22 and 9mm/38) and a Winchester deluxe universal kit. Will add some toothbrushes as well. Grabbed the hoppes elite cleaner, oil, and foam as well. Anyone have an opinion of the hoppes elite?

7. Iowalefty

Iowalefty New Member

As far as oils go, I have used Break Free CLP, since I was in the Marines and never had a complaint. Just ordered a gallon jug of it off of amazon. Definitely cheaper that way.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

9. jame

jame New Member

Do they make an extended mag for lc9s?

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk jame,

Thanks for joining,

Be great if you would introduce yourself to us, over in Introductions, and tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks

Jim

11. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

Bore snake is a very good all in one tool. I use hoppes elite foam and spray. Also use ballistol on barrel and guide rod. Use hoppes elite oil on contact points. A small toothbrush is very useful.

12. Dwhyz1

Dwhyz1 Dwhyz1

Cleaning kit for LC9s

Hi, my name is Dwhyz1 & I use a Cabela's pistol kit for a 9mm. It cost $20 and I use Rem Oil. The cleaning kit has all you need to cleaning other than it doesn't have any kind of brushes or picks. I bought both of those on ebay for about $8 for both. The Rem oil cost about $7 at Cabela's also. All of this could be bought on ebay for less than $40 including shipping. I believe I have everything I need to keep my LC9s working like new and to last for many years. Good luck finding what you determine to be what you will call "your cleaning kit". :Cooltu:

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Hoppe's #9 for the barrel, and some type of CLP for the rest of the gun. For cleaning copper fouling, Butch's Bore Shine is excellent, but for 9mm you don't need to use a copper cutter too often. Whether to use a pull through or a rod is up to you. And any gun oil will do the job. Old socks work pretty good for wiping the gun down...;)