Ruger Talk Forums banner

New LC380 for the wife

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gwgw60 
#1 ·
Got to try out the LC380 today with the wife. She just recently got her CCW and we're trying to find a good carry gun for her. First she tried the Taurus LCP .380. She didn't like the recoil and it was hard for her to control. Personally, I liked the little bugger and it will be my BUG. Then we tried the LC380. Had a devil of a time to get it to digest Fiocchi FMJ. From what I can tell, they are too long and hang up in the magazine. They worked fine in the Taurus. Luckily I had a box of Remington FMJ ammo and they worked flawlessly in both guns. We both found the LC380 pleasant to shoot and very accurate at 7 yards. We used paper plates one for the torso and one for the head. Had no trouble keeping them in the center. For comparison, I had her shoot my Taurus PT709 but she found that to have too much recoil. I'm sure the LC9 would have been the same or worse since it's lighter.

At the end of the session, we shot up a 20rd box of Hornady Critical Defense .380 which is what we will both use in our respective guns. Did not seem to have any more recoil than the FMJ ammo and fed without problems.

Bottom line is she feels very comfortable with the LC380 and it will now be her carry gun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to RT....btw....nice LC380....

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm also interested in the LC380 as a possible lower recoil option for my wife. I'm interested in hearing the experiences of the ladies in comparison to some of the common alternatives.

My wife is not comfortable with the LC9 or the LCR 38, but does fine with the SR22. I've just about conceded to accepting she will probably not shoot (or dry fire) enough to build up her hand strength and recoil tolerance. No rentals have been available, so I like to hear as much as possible about it from others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.