Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I picked up the new 77/357 about an hour ago. Seems to be functional; and light. So far so good. I'll cycle rounds through it in the morning, and mount the new scope. The weather is being the wrong kind of March-like, probably won't bore sight it until Wednesday. The black stock makes a nice contrast with the stainless metal. The rubber butt-pad should have zero cushioning effect, but I shouldn't need any, eh?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats on the new Ruger rifle.
Thats a dandy.

Looking forward to a great range report.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new Ruger rifle.
Thats a dandy.

Looking forward to a great range report.

Jim
Thanks. The range is probably a few weeks away, going by AccuWeather's forecast. Spent the evening with the NCAA tournament on the TV, and just handling the gun. The stock-to-metal fit is impressive; the stock itself is well shaped, but has several appearance blems related to the molding process. The exterior of the magazine has an unattractive mottled appearance too.

I guess you can tell that I'm not finding anything significantly wrong, eh?

;)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Assembled the Caldwell Lead Sled plus, and located one (1) 25 lb barbell weight to hold it down (there's room for 2). I have a shot bag, but no shot. Pretty sure I won't need it for bore sighting, which Accuweather says I can do Wednesday. The 77/.357 will be #3 of the 4 guns I intend to bore sight that day. I'm using a Bushnell in-the-muzzle laser sighter. After that, Accuweather tells me it will be another three weeks or so before the range will be tolerable. I'm hoping that my sanity won't have slipped further by then.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I have a Caldwell Sled and I love it.

I assume by watching the NCAA you were watching my team....UK Wildcats.:cool::D

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jim
Haven't watched them play yet; figured they were a lock to get to the Sweet 16, will probably see them this week.

AND - a careful study of the forecast suggests a possibility of range work for the 77/.357 next Thursday. Wind kinda gusty for precise sighting in, but maybe a start on it.

:p

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Isn't it fun knowing you have a new toy on the shelve and waiting for Mother Nature to clear up so you can go play. For us old farts, it makes us feel young again- like when we were young and know Santa Claus was coming real soon. Gotta feel good about it. Have fun on your "play day"
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jim
Jeez, the WVA game wasn't exactly exciting. I left for shower&bed at 14-2, and didn't miss anything but more domination.

Notre Dame looked good in the early game, but they are way too small to handle UK.

Got the guns that needed it bore sighted. Now it's up to the weather gods.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I hope the weather cooperates, you need to shoot that rifle.

I watched last night. I didnt see WVA....were they there"?:D

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
The .357 in a rifle has light recoil at most IMHO. I shoot .44 mag in a similar rifle and recoil is not issue. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Had some range time! Got the scope sighted in, fired off 6 magazine loads. The gun shoots fine; minimal recoil, no strays on the targets. Feeding, however, is not so good. The 1st 3 rounds from a full magazine fed 100%; the 4th round about 50%; the last round once for the 6 mag loads. The rim of the cartridge doesn't get up on the bolt face far enough, so it jams halfway into the chamber. I'm guessing the problem is a weak follower spring. I saw this problem the day I brought the gun home, just running rounds through the action. I cleaned the magazine per the manual's instructions, but the problem was - and is - still there. Kind of hoped that just repeated use would fix the problem... does that ever happen?

I called the Newport number, but the Ruger folks are taking Good Friday off. Have to wait until Monday. Maybe they will send me another magazine?

:(

[edit - next day. Sorry I'm not ecstatic about my new Ruger. It's just that I would prefer it to function right.]

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The Ruger folks are working today. I was second in line to talk with a service rep; a replacement magazine is in process, a week or two away from me. Zero hassle.

The mag that came with the gun works OK for the 1st 3 rounds, so I have one 3 round magazine anyway; better than single shot.

If I post anything else about this gun, it will be in the 'range' forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts