"New" Federal HST .380

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by threetango, Aug 1, 2015.

1. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

The HST is a very good round and I went by Palmetto Armory today to see if any of the new .380 HST had come in yet (no) so me and my Elsie Pea are anxiously awaiting their arrival in stores.
    I have the 45 cal and 40 cal in HST and can confirm they are top notch and believe the .380 will be also.

From the article:
    The cartridge reached 1,030 feet per second at the muzzle, pushing a 99-grain bullet to make 233 foot-pounds of force, which is about 10 to 20 percent hotter than a lot of commercial self-defense loads out there.

If anyone gets some let us know what you think and pics.

http://www.guns.com/2015/07/30/federal-hst-now-available-in-380-acp/

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had a chance to shoot a .380 last week at the range and the part that bothered me was the length of pull was so long that I had to push my trigger finger in farther and not be able to use the first pad of my firing finger. I was surprised! Now don't ask me what kind it was cuz I have had a nap since then and can't remember. The guy said he was going to put a laser on it but it looked as if it would make it even harder to hold on center of mass. My thoughts only!!!
    Tommy

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

There is at least one test of the .380 HST load on YouTube.

The guy tested it by firing into ballistic gel that is supposed to meet some sort of FBI protocol for bullet testing.

I believe he used a Taurus TCP 738 pistol and clocked it at 905 FPS for a 5 shot average.

In bare gel, great expansion with 8.00"~8.75" of penetration. (5 shots)

With 4 layers of heavy denim over the gel, 3 of the 5 fired had very good expansion with around 10.75" of penetration.
    The last two had less expansion but penetrated up to 12.25". (12"~18" is said to be ideal in gel)

All but two of the ten fired had more expansion than is normally achieved from a 380. But, more expansion gives less penetration.

I sold out of the .380 caliber a while back. This new HST load could give the .380 more prestige.

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

It's my carry ammo in 9mm during warm months..................................I see no reason why it shouldn't do well in .380. All of the testing that I have seen on HST has been nothing but good.................

5. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Doing a bit of searching (research) on the HST .380.
    This report doesn't seem to like them ( not enough penetration) (8 in). and recommends Lehigh Penetrators (19 in) or Hydrashock (12 in).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhByLwyvGpA[/ame]

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, that is the test I spoke of. The FBI protocol he goes by requires 12" minimum penetration. I'm not sure 8"~12" would be a fail for me.
    Loads that deliver 12" or more penetration do not have the kind of expansion this HST does.

Do we need penetration with minimal expansion, or impressive expansion with less penetration? Personally, I'm impressed with the expansion.
    I don't think any .380 load can deliver both. If I was still a .380 Auto guy, I would be searching out HST ammo for sure. But that's just me.

Please do not misunderstand, he does the best testing I can find on the Tube. Check out his 9mm 124gr HST tests.

7. berettabone

If a bullet in question only goes in 6" , but expands to the size of a dime, or nickel, or quarter, I would say that, that should be plenty sufficient to do the job. All the good stuff is just right underneath the skin. Especially if that bullet trajectory is not in a straight line. People make way to much about all of this testing. It's more important to me, that the ammo in question is going to work flawlessly in my particular firearm. Everything else is gravy..............;)

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I carry Federal Hydra-Shok LE Tactical 90 grain JHP's in my Colt Model 1908 and Walther PPK/s chambered for .380acp...

They feed as good as they penetrate and expand...

[​IMG]

9. berettabone

I carry 147gr. HST'S in the warm months, 115 gr. Critical Defense in colder weather. They both work well in my firearms, and have good test results..........good enough for me.