New companion to the SR1911

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hodge, May 19, 2015.

1. hodge

hodge New Member

[​IMG]

1972 Marlin 336C in 30-30.
    Bought it today, but I haven't had a chance to run it.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

congrats....
    Those are really nice rifles.

I been keepin my eyes and ears open for one myself.

Mind if I ask what ya had to pay for it ?

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Marlin. I bought one just like yours about a year ago. I so like lever guns as they are just in a niche of themselves. I am also left handed which makes the lever gun really nice. They are just as nice to shoot as to look at. The Marlin 336c 30/30 has fed many that were lousy fishermen.
    Yours looks in very good condition. I probably paid to much for mine but being is such good condition I paid the price and was still less than a new RemLin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That's a nice set of weapons you got there. You should feel proud. I know I sure would. Congrats!!
    Tommy

5. hodge

hodge New Member

I'm probably like Buster- paid too much. I gave a little over $500 for it, which included 3 boxes of ammunition. While there are deals here and there, I can't see and hold those, and give it a once-over. So, the price was justified for me, even if it wasn't a red hot deal. I am very happy, and I now have a small piece of history.

6. buster40c

I don't seem to come across almost steals of a buy but I must say I have been happy with what I got and that's all that matters.
    Enjoy what you have and your days will be filled with happiness. You have the right idea. I am willing to bet you will really like shooting it as well as just admiring it.
    Friend of mine came over and his son shot my 336c and he really liked it. It doesn't kick like a mule and has smooth action to boot as well as being accurate.
    Get yourself a scope and rings so you can use either scope or iron sights at any given moment. I like that on mine.

7. hodge

hodge New Member

I have the same mentality. I love a good deal, but I don't let that goal squash my joy. If I want it, I count the price and make a decision. Maybe I get a good deal, maybe I don't. Either way, I found what I wanted, and I was already satisfied with the price. Besides, the other guy (seller) deserves a good deal every now and then, right?
    I would be the first to admit that in the learning process, I have made a few financial mistakes. I don't sweat it- it's in the past, I can't change it, and I won't tolerate a dark cloud over this journey. I have loved getting to know firearms, and I knew that it would be an expensive hobby. No regrets.

8. CLF

CLF Hunter, CAS/SASS

I am blessed with a great gun dealer. I was at his shop a couple of years ago and he had a Marlin made in the late 60s and I got it for $200 out the door. I put a Nikon 2x7 on it and it shoots my handloads great. The only thing I wish it could be morphed into would be the Cowboy version. I have never seen one of them but would jump on it.

Lead Foot

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh Lord knows Ive WAY overpaid on some of mine, but I also have bout stole a few..:)

Im convinced that its a great deal , if Im happy with it, no matter what I paid.

I think you got yours at the going price in my area. If your in love with it, and enjoy its company, thats all that matters.

I ask because that gives ME an idea what they are selling for in other areas.

Jim

10. hodge

hodge New Member

A friend clued me in, a couple of years ago (when I started to get interested in guns), about the attitudes and opinions represented in the gun world. No matter what you get, or what you pay, or what you shoot, or how you shoot it, someone will either have done better, compare your gun to their gun, ridicule the caliber, whatever. He shared, wisely, that the only opinion that matters is my own. If I am happy with it, if I trust it, if I like it, it's good. Don't worry about what the next guy thinks.
    Unless, of course, if he is envious. That's different.

11. hodge

hodge New Member

I will readlily admit that I probably could have done better on price if I had waited, hunted local papers, or searched online. I knew what I was paying, and that I was buying from a dealer with a healthy profit margin. This particular LGS is good people; I have a close friend who works there, and he has lots of baggage. They have gone to bat very seriously for him, given him interest-free loans, time off of work to deal with issues, and on and on. They really pine away for him, and that is both admirable and unique in today's business world. So, in an essence, I am glad to do them a favor- pay full price when there may be cheaper ones out there- because I know where some of that money is going. And, right is right- they are doing what's right by him. They deserve some of that back.

So, I don't regret what I paid. This is a lifetime rifle for me, and I am very happy with it. I have no regrets.

Now, if I could find an 1894C for a great price, I'd also be happy...

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Ummmm. Lever Action.

Can't really pay too much for a real Marlin you know.

They don't make em like that anymore you know.

Rem. can't seem to duplicate the quality you know.

It's only going to go up in value you know.

Someday all old Marlins will fetch a premium you know.

Right now old 1894's are at premium prices you know.

If you find an old 1894c in 357 Mag (pre-safety) well, you know.:)

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. buster40c

One of the really great things about quality rifles is that they don't for the most part get used much. Many are lucky to see action in years and some only when getting sighted in and used then for the yearly hunt. Marlin 336c like new condition are worth more than a lesser quality new gun of the same model. You can't get a new 336c with the JM stamped on the receiver. JM stamped is a quality built Marlin. The new RemLins are making the value of older Marlins go up for sure.
    I keep seeing comments about guns bought 2008 and earlier for way less than now. Well I wish it was still 2008 because I could afford more ammo to shoot more. A friend of mine today bought two cartons of cheap cigarettes for $95. In 2008 I would have paid under $20 for those. I couldn't afford to shoot guns today if I still smoked. 2008 is long gone.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Last edited: May 22, 2015